My 6D helmet

Ducttape
Edited Date/Time 2/25/2015 6:46pm
I recently had a crash in my less then stellar 6D helmet. Resulting in 2 breaks in the shell. I'm not dead. I did get a nasty concussion. After doing so. I talked to 6D about my helmet. Since it wasn't even 6 months old. And I realize it isn't there fault that I crashed. But they told me the broken she'll was more then likely a manufacturer defect. And they offered me a 200$ discount. Doesn't really seem right for a manufacturer defect.

But anyway. I was out riding the other day with my buddy. And he told me the 6D isn't snell approved. And it didn't get approved by this voluntary safety organization because the shell is too soft. 6D apparently thinks that meeting this standard would make the helmet weigh too much. It says so on there website. Doesn't seem overly safe to me.

Just figured I'd share my story hear. Receive some feedback. Maybe hear your guys story. Just disappointed in my 750$ helmet. And the company in which makes it.

|
Ducttape
2/8/2015 11:10am
And it seems a weird coincidence. The arrows point right to the break. Lol
nytsmaC
2/8/2015 12:05pm
Sounds like the helmet did it's job. Maybe a helmet that hadn't broken would have transferred more impact to your skull.
markit
2/8/2015 12:40pm
700 $ for a non top tear helment???? Spend less and get a Arai or Shoei

The Shop

731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
2/8/2015 12:53pm
Ouch! What did you land on? Did you hit a rock, tree, bike or something hard?
Ducttape
2/8/2015 1:04pm
It was a grass covered logging road. I did hit pretty hard. But my shoulder took most of the impact. Everything else was fine. I've always worn arai's. I never cheap out when it comes to protecting my head. And never broken a helmet.
neysbo
2/8/2015 2:39pm
A $200 dollar credit to buy another 6D is a crock of shit. They should replace your helmet or at least give you half off. Also they should want your helmet to inspect and analyze.
nytsmaC
2/8/2015 2:51pm
neysbo wrote:
A $200 dollar credit to buy another 6D is a crock of shit. They should replace your helmet or at least give you half off. Also...
A $200 dollar credit to buy another 6D is a crock of shit. They should replace your helmet or at least give you half off. Also they should want your helmet to inspect and analyze.
The helmet is damaged due to a crash. There's no way to know if there is a manufacturer defect unless the helmet is inspected/analyze, which I'm sure they have offered to do.

It is generous of them to offer a $200 credit before even inspecting the helmet to see if it was in fact defective.
Ducttape
2/8/2015 2:54pm
They didn't want to inspect it. Just offered the 200 dollars off.
mx510
Fantasy
1744th
2/8/2015 3:03pm
I have seen said helmet and for 6D to not even want to see the helmet with their own eyes is crazy to me. Then to admit that it's a defect and not want to see it is even more crazy sauce, seems to me there might be more than one instance where this helmet failed. His concussion could have been helped by the 6D or made worse, we will never know since they don't want to examine the helmet.
holverson34
2/8/2015 3:42pm
I remember looking at those at the dealership and thinking that there was not much for padding inside the helmet.
Motofinne
2/9/2015 5:17am
200 bucks discount? What a joke. Haha i would never accept that!
Ducttape
2/9/2015 6:09am
yea. I'm pretty disappointed. I won't be wasting money on another one. That's for sure.
Jim Lahey
2/9/2015 9:45am
Not trying to get attacked here, but isnt that whats supposed to happen? The helmet took most of the impact, not your head. Im sure any helmet will break if you hit hard enough. Theyre only meant to take 1 hard crash before they get replaced anyway.... seems like you think the helmet is supposed to be indestructable... its not
KTMShane699
2/9/2015 10:22am
You should ask them to inspect the helmet and attempt to determine if it was a defect or if the helmet did it's job before slamming them on the internet. A $200 discount for a helmet that was damaged while doing it's job is a pretty reasonable offer for a helmet sight unseen.

I'd call them back and talk to them. Explain how you're feeling and see if they make it right. Don't just take to the internet and complain. It sounds like it was a decent hit. And as for the comment about you've never broken a helmet before, well there's always a first time. Could have been the right kind of impact that caused the damage.

SNELL isn't necessarily the greatest assessment of a helmets performance.

Shane
TommyLee93
2/9/2015 12:01pm
Jim Lahey wrote:
Not trying to get attacked here, but isnt that whats supposed to happen? The helmet took most of the impact, not your head. Im sure any...
Not trying to get attacked here, but isnt that whats supposed to happen? The helmet took most of the impact, not your head. Im sure any helmet will break if you hit hard enough. Theyre only meant to take 1 hard crash before they get replaced anyway.... seems like you think the helmet is supposed to be indestructable... its not
+1

The helmet did it's job, put it on the shelf and go buy another one.
Grizz
2/9/2015 12:15pm
Jim Lahey wrote:
Not trying to get attacked here, but isnt that whats supposed to happen? The helmet took most of the impact, not your head. Im sure any...
Agreed. From my point of view, 6D seems like they are even more of a one and done helmet than others. I know, I know, you should replace any helmet after a big hit, I just feel like I've seen more fucked up 6D's than other brands. But that could be for many reasons.
mx510
Fantasy
1744th
2/9/2015 3:56pm
You should ask them to inspect the helmet and attempt to determine if it was a defect or if the helmet did it's job before slamming...
You should ask them to inspect the helmet and attempt to determine if it was a defect or if the helmet did it's job before slamming them on the internet. A $200 discount for a helmet that was damaged while doing it's job is a pretty reasonable offer for a helmet sight unseen.

I'd call them back and talk to them. Explain how you're feeling and see if they make it right. Don't just take to the internet and complain. It sounds like it was a decent hit. And as for the comment about you've never broken a helmet before, well there's always a first time. Could have been the right kind of impact that caused the damage.

SNELL isn't necessarily the greatest assessment of a helmets performance.

Shane
The short answer is, he did contact 6D, to which they replied it's likely a defect. 6D also said they did not need to inspect the helmet. So yes, he did contact them and try to work something out.
Ducttape
2/9/2015 7:33pm
Yea. I called. They did not ask to inspect the helmet. Just offered the 200 off. And told me had the shell not been broken they'd replace the insides for free? Doesnt make much sense to me. I've given them many chances.
TailSoHard
2/10/2015 7:49am
Still cheaper than having to buy a new head.

Being able to walk away from a crash like that seems like a pretty good reason to go back and buy another one just like it... Looks to me like that helmet just saved your life, and now you're mad because the company that saved your life won't GIVE you a new helmet?! Come on man, that's what the helmet is designed to do. There's not a helmet on the market that wouldn't be damaged if you slam it on the ground. It's not a defect, they're offering you a "crash replacement", which is something most companies do. Take the $200, buy a new 6D, and live happily ever after. Or go buy a different brand and hope that it works as well as that one did.
MOTORSPORTFOX
2/10/2015 11:00am
I recently had a crash developing in a concussion while wearing a 6D. I felt that the helmet did its job as I was able to walk away. I contacted 6D, told them about the crash and mentioned that I wanted to send the helmet in to be inspected. They gladly told me to send it on in. A week later they contacted me telling me that the helmet was good to go, no issues and safe to use again. I feel their services are above any other companies in that segment. I assume that they didnt want to inspect this helmet as the shell was cracked. Once that happens, you need to replace it no matter what. Seems like it/they did their job IMO.
mx510
Fantasy
1744th
2/10/2015 2:46pm
TailSoHard wrote:
Still cheaper than having to buy a new head. Being able to walk away from a crash like that seems like a pretty good reason to...

Being able to walk away from a crash like that seems like a pretty good reason to go back and buy another one just like it... Looks to me like that helmet just saved your life, and now you're mad because the company that saved your life won't GIVE you a new helmet?! Come on man, that's what the helmet is designed to do. There's not a helmet on the market that wouldn't be damaged if you slam it on the ground. It's not a defect, they're offering you a "crash replacement", which is something most companies do. Take the $200, buy a new 6D, and live happily ever after. Or go buy a different brand and hope that it works as well as that one did.
So let me get this straight Tail. You crash, in the crash your shell breaks. Knowing the crash you had you suspect that the helmet shouldnt have cracked/broken due to the hit that was taken. You then contact the helmet manufacturer, they reply saying its likely a defect, and you just let that be? Again, 6D admitted it was LIKELY a defect and would not inspect the helmet.
dcorbett62
2/17/2015 8:05am
I recently went through the same deal with my new troy lee designs race helmet that i bought probably a week prior to my crash. i contacted troy lee and they were great with helping me out and even gave me a 30% discount. I'm not cheap with buying my helmets but i don't see myself buying a $750 helmet. you can get a really nice and quality helmet for 4-500 bucks.
TailSoHard
2/18/2015 7:38am
TailSoHard wrote:
Still cheaper than having to buy a new head. Being able to walk away from a crash like that seems like a pretty good reason to...

mx510 wrote:
So let me get this straight Tail. You crash, in the crash your shell breaks. Knowing the crash you had you suspect that the helmet shouldnt...
So let me get this straight Tail. You crash, in the crash your shell breaks. Knowing the crash you had you suspect that the helmet shouldnt have cracked/broken due to the hit that was taken. You then contact the helmet manufacturer, they reply saying its likely a defect, and you just let that be? Again, 6D admitted it was LIKELY a defect and would not inspect the helmet.
Well IMO, if I drop my helmet on the ground or it falls off of my tailgate, I'm not trusting that helmet anymore. Much less crash with my head inside. All it takes is one small impact to hurt the integrity of the helmet, and given the fact that I've had a helmet save my life on more than one occasion, I'm not willing to take that risk. I'll spend the extra money to make sure that I don't end up in a comma or worse. Helmets are cheap insurance, and I, for one, don't feel like gambling with my head.
SLO1667
2/18/2015 4:24pm
mx510 wrote:
I have seen said helmet and for 6D to not even want to see the helmet with their own eyes is crazy to me. Then to...
I have seen said helmet and for 6D to not even want to see the helmet with their own eyes is crazy to me. Then to admit that it's a defect and not want to see it is even more crazy sauce, seems to me there might be more than one instance where this helmet failed. His concussion could have been helped by the 6D or made worse, we will never know since they don't want to examine the helmet.
says the gentlemen on a MC with a baby strapped to him, both not wearing helmets. Smile
Squishy
2/25/2015 6:46pm
At the LL Area Qualifier this weekend at Cycle Ranch, I got hit on the back side of a jump and landed on a couple times... Was out cold for a bit and couldn't remember a thing. I had worn my 6D about 10 times when this happened and the helmet cracked... I sent pictures to 6D and they offered the 200 discount which I thought was generous. I took it and ordered another helmet. Did spending the extra amount on the helmet help in any way? I don't know and I don't want to know... It is a purchase I am comfortable with and I will leave it at that. I think the customer service was great and I have no complaints.

Post a reply to: My 6D helmet

The Latest