KTM Ohlins inserts

Crush
Edited Date/Time 9/21/2015 5:44pm
OK Technical Jerkies.

A deal may be had on an Ohlins shock and inserts in the fork tubes. The bank can take it but not the full set, especially given how amazing(sarcasm) the Aussie dollar is.

BUT. The springs are 49s in the front and 5.7 on the rear.

My standard bike is running 51s or maybe more and 6.1.

Question–since they're inserts in stock tubes, can I use my springs up front? I'm assuming rear is gonna need to be different.

Cheers!
|
KTMShane699
8/14/2015 6:15am
You may not need springs. When I went to Ohlins my springs changed to softer than I was running on my FC revalved stuff. I'd check with a reputable Ohlins dealer on what springs they recommend.

I'm not sure if the inserts work exactly the same way as the complete forks and just use the outer tubes and sliders.

Shane
Crush
8/14/2015 8:03am
Just checked in with Dean Burke, he's said I should be close–in fact if I keep avoiding the cheeseburgers I'll be fine, especially since I doubt i'm gonna get much faster anytime soon haha.

Cheers Shane. Hope the leg is getting there bud. Keep going!
casper
8/14/2015 8:26am
Not sure if this will help but it's the spring guide from Ohlins.

Digger29
8/14/2015 8:29am
You're close but definitely a bit under sprung because I weigh 215 and Ohlins put a 5.8 shock spring and .52 fork springs on my Ohlins stuff for my 300SX which has to weigh 20lbs less than your 350.

The Shop

KTMShane699
8/14/2015 2:42pm
Crush wrote:
Just checked in with Dean Burke, he's said I should be close–in fact if I keep avoiding the cheeseburgers I'll be fine, especially since I doubt...
Just checked in with Dean Burke, he's said I should be close–in fact if I keep avoiding the cheeseburgers I'll be fine, especially since I doubt i'm gonna get much faster anytime soon haha.

Cheers Shane. Hope the leg is getting there bud. Keep going!
Thanks man. It's not really getting there. Kind of plateaued out in my range of motion. I go to the doc to schedule manipulation under anesthesia on Monday. They'll put me to sleep and force it through it's complete range of motion. I'm sure that'll feel great...but can't be as bad as what they've already done to me.

Enjoy those inserts. They should treat you well. I've heard good things about them! I'm curious what you think of them. The action in my Ohlins forks was awesome, but they had the common "problem" that they didn't bottom. It simply had to do with design rather than being a problem. The bottoming system is fantastic. I wish I could compare them to my cone valve forks, but those came after I got hurt this year...so it'll have to wait until next year.

If you're scoring a good deal on the inserts, I don't think you'll be at all disappointed. I'd make sure you save all your stock stuff so you can put it back when you're done and sell the inserts separately. You'll be surprised at how much of your money you can get back if you're patient and wait for the right buyer. People will always want them for next to nothing since they're "used," just don't take the offers. If you don't value your stuff, nobody else will.

Enjoy man. You're about to spoil yourself with good suspension and never want to go for a simple revalve ever again.

Shane
Crush
8/14/2015 7:36pm
Thanks Guys.

Casper! Thanks! I was trying to find that, did you upload it? Is there one for the rear also?

Digger–I think you're assuming i'm quick. I'm not, I ride like a puss these days, I just want to ride like a puss with plush suspension! I am definitely dropping weight tho, just been eating better and now not studying am getting to the gym and doing some mtb riding with my little girl on the back. Getting there!

Shane–read your post in the other thread–that's tough man, but the best thing is that you're still going after it. Took my ankle a long time to come to as good as it is, talus fusion. It's still not normal but is pretty good. The only way it did though was through painful and bloody boring rehab. Keep it up!
Crush
8/14/2015 8:03pm
Just confirmed. Ride report next weekend if all goes to plan. Have to sort this throttle routing too.
casper
8/14/2015 9:06pm
I uploaded that, it's from my owners manual. I thought I had a spring chart for my shock to but I can't seem to find it. I'm 210 with no gear and I'm running a .52s in my forks and a 5.8 in my shock so I'm not sure if the spring charts are on the light side.
Oldnslo
8/15/2015 3:42am Edited Date/Time 8/15/2015 3:43am
Not change required. You should be able to run your current springs on the Ohlins front and rear. I did with NO issues what so ever. The cartridges are out of this world as is the rear shock. Expect to be totally amazed...good luck
Crush
8/15/2015 6:23am
Thanks Chaps.

Getting a bit turgid now. Fuck I hope these things are plush. It's been ages since I've ridden suspension that I thought was the tits, really hoping it's the goods!
Crush
9/2/2015 8:39am
Oh saturday... why do you taunt me...

Oldnslo
9/2/2015 12:49pm
The inserts and rear shock are the tits. You are going to love both. Saturday has been cancelled for this week. You must wait for another ...
KTMShane699
9/2/2015 2:55pm
Crush wrote:
Oh saturday... why do you taunt me... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/09/02/103785/s1200_IMG_9587.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/09/02/103786/s1200_IMG_9593.jpg[/img]
Oh saturday... why do you taunt me...

Nice pick up Crush. You're going to be on cloud nine and riding with new confidence Saturday. Send it for me!

Shane
Crush
9/2/2015 4:59pm
Definitely pretty excited... All bolted up and sitting in the shed it sure feels squishier compared to what was on there... Cant wait to try it.

Reset all the clickers, they were only one off stock anyways... will set sag tonight but was almost spot on anyways...
Rotaholic
9/3/2015 9:33pm
Cant wait for a ride report, im about to drop the hammer on inserts and a rear shock
Crush
9/5/2015 12:12am Edited Date/Time 9/5/2015 12:12am
Just got back, cleaned up, gotta run to do the shopping so will write more later but all I can say is... Wow.

Completely different bike and although i'm still slow, I felt a billion times better doing it.

Crush
9/5/2015 10:25pm Edited Date/Time 9/6/2015 1:23am
Ok! So... After install sitting on the bike it was clear these things were plusher/softer than the WPs... What became immediately apparent, the very first jump on take off and landing is the control that these have... It feels so connected to the ground it's actually a little weird at first.

I'm not gonna tell you i'm fast, I gave that up ages ago, I am just looking to be comfortable, have fun and really importantly, being tall, i'm trying to reduce arm pump... my knees meet above the seat!

First jump... Bike felt like it was stuck to the ground on the up-ramp and pillow-like on landing. I actually said holy shit because the difference was ridiculous. Even if you're not perfect, it's more than fine, and when I did get a couple things wrong, it soaked it up or held its line.

Holes? What holes. It tracked so straight, never kicked on any face, slightly inside a rut, it held on, etc... crazy. Again, i'm not going warp speed and haven't rode heaps the last few years with work, a Wife and little Girl and finishing an MBA, but this just felt so different. And it definitely had me twisting the throttle more and more... I really want to go riding again!

As I pushed a little more, it felt a little loose, so I went in a couple on compression–which at my weight seemed reasonable... Clickers are for sure noticeable, had to match it with rebound after casing something and it popping back pretty good... 2 clicks later and so balanced again... I think I might need a little less sag to offset my riding style later in the day (tall & tired!) as after I added a little compression I lost a little front end feel compared to first up, but i'm really tall and pretty heavy so it's easy to do that... attention to my posture would have worked also!

Overall. Geez. I had my stuff done before and the improvement was so obvious, stock I felt like the things were pretty harsh over chatter and entirely capable of blowing through–Australia's riding conditions down here, it's chatter. But these are like cheating compared to stock.

More sag/sliding forks up a little next out. Going back to a tall seat to see if I can help my entry into corners and sitting to standing... I'm considering a 2Tall kit–though the dollar is making that a hard choice.... but now it's just more riding, these are awesome, just awesome!

Arm pump was way less, still got it a bit but it was fine and certainly not "pull over" arm pump... I'm also no where near as sore today. At the end of the day, I didn't want to go home, I was tired, but not beat up... Looking forward to putting some more time in for sure!

Considering I paid a grand for them, absolutely no regrets at all. Can't imagine how good the full fork is but i've also been told by Dean Burke that the cartridges can be just as good as the full forks... If you're not gonna miss the cash there is no reason not too, especially if you're a KTM guy and when you add in the fact that you'll likely be able to sell them on for less loss than a revalve–well... what are you waiting for?
Rotaholic
9/6/2015 12:40am
Not the answer I wanted to hear, you were surpose to say that they were horrible to setup and not much different than stock. Looks like I have some explaining to do to the missus very soon

Great review
Crush
9/6/2015 1:29am
I'm sorry bud!

Haha... Honestly the comfort was amazing. I actually really want to ride just because it's fun, well it always is, but now it's like, just more what you want, not fighting it, not getting beat, chattered.... I once felt like o bottomed the rear but not after I went in on the compression. Again, not fast, not bucking huge jumps but I felt better regardless. I do definitely think being tall that the comfort went away as I got up there and I found things harder work... This brought a lot back and greatly helped my arm pump.... I don't see how you could be upset with it, I really don't.

Good Luck with the Lady!
Tonynz
9/7/2015 5:08pm
I am going for the inserts on my 16 350SXF, sending forks away next Monday to the Ohlins importer.
Could not justify going the full forks like I did on my 13 300sx.
The shocks are due later this month I was told.
Crush
9/7/2015 6:20pm
You could run the forks and wheel from your 13 I guess.... Will be interesting to hear what differences you feel...

Are you gonna sell on your 300?
Tonynz
9/7/2015 6:35pm
Some how the forks found there way onto my sons 15 250 SXF and axle.
In the process of taking all the goodies off the 300 and making it back to a 250 then sell it.
Tried to sell it as a 300 orginaly with the Ohlins and all I got was dreamers.
Got asked some stupid questions, the most stupid was "why did you replace piston, rings and clutch plates at 60 hours seems like you could have got a lot more hours from them"
Crush
9/7/2015 6:42pm
Love tyre kickers.

I had a dude tell me I shouldn't worry about keeping keys or a decent amount of cash when they took my bike for a test ride, because it was just a bush basher...

Uh-huh. A bush basher with a $7K price tag.
Rotaholic
9/8/2015 2:05am Edited Date/Time 9/8/2015 2:05am
Tony are you using KSS here in NZ?
KTMShane699
9/8/2015 8:55am
Crush wrote:
Ok! So... After install sitting on the bike it was clear these things were plusher/softer than the WPs... What became immediately apparent, the very first jump...
Ok! So... After install sitting on the bike it was clear these things were plusher/softer than the WPs... What became immediately apparent, the very first jump on take off and landing is the control that these have... It feels so connected to the ground it's actually a little weird at first.

I'm not gonna tell you i'm fast, I gave that up ages ago, I am just looking to be comfortable, have fun and really importantly, being tall, i'm trying to reduce arm pump... my knees meet above the seat!

First jump... Bike felt like it was stuck to the ground on the up-ramp and pillow-like on landing. I actually said holy shit because the difference was ridiculous. Even if you're not perfect, it's more than fine, and when I did get a couple things wrong, it soaked it up or held its line.

Holes? What holes. It tracked so straight, never kicked on any face, slightly inside a rut, it held on, etc... crazy. Again, i'm not going warp speed and haven't rode heaps the last few years with work, a Wife and little Girl and finishing an MBA, but this just felt so different. And it definitely had me twisting the throttle more and more... I really want to go riding again!

As I pushed a little more, it felt a little loose, so I went in a couple on compression–which at my weight seemed reasonable... Clickers are for sure noticeable, had to match it with rebound after casing something and it popping back pretty good... 2 clicks later and so balanced again... I think I might need a little less sag to offset my riding style later in the day (tall & tired!) as after I added a little compression I lost a little front end feel compared to first up, but i'm really tall and pretty heavy so it's easy to do that... attention to my posture would have worked also!

Overall. Geez. I had my stuff done before and the improvement was so obvious, stock I felt like the things were pretty harsh over chatter and entirely capable of blowing through–Australia's riding conditions down here, it's chatter. But these are like cheating compared to stock.

More sag/sliding forks up a little next out. Going back to a tall seat to see if I can help my entry into corners and sitting to standing... I'm considering a 2Tall kit–though the dollar is making that a hard choice.... but now it's just more riding, these are awesome, just awesome!

Arm pump was way less, still got it a bit but it was fine and certainly not "pull over" arm pump... I'm also no where near as sore today. At the end of the day, I didn't want to go home, I was tired, but not beat up... Looking forward to putting some more time in for sure!

Considering I paid a grand for them, absolutely no regrets at all. Can't imagine how good the full fork is but i've also been told by Dean Burke that the cartridges can be just as good as the full forks... If you're not gonna miss the cash there is no reason not too, especially if you're a KTM guy and when you add in the fact that you'll likely be able to sell them on for less loss than a revalve–well... what are you waiting for?
Glad you're enjoying your purchase Crush and that they were everything you thought they would be and more! It's a pretty great setup to say the least.

Shane
Tonynz
9/8/2015 11:58am
Rotaholic wrote:
Tony are you using KSS here in NZ?
Yes, The ohlins on my 300 I got ex USA, this time getting them from KSS.
9/8/2015 9:03pm
Nice report Crush. Hopefully you'll be out crushing some others, and not yours Sick I was out the other day riding a 15 350 EXC-F and 16 450 SX-F and nearly lost my fillings on the SX-F. The difference was ridiculous and the arm pump instant and so good to get back on the EXC-F and absorb shit and track straight, even if it did bottom and was a bit of a boat. I need somewhere in the middle of those 2.
Crush
9/8/2015 9:51pm
Cheers guys, so much more comfortable, looking forward to riding more and more. Testing the 16s in a couple weeks, will be interesting to see what the boingers feel like.
Rotaholic
9/19/2015 4:13pm Edited Date/Time 9/19/2015 4:17pm
Have you been out for any more rides Crush? mine are in the country and should be here Tuesday, I got the shock and cartridge kit to turn my SFF Rmz forks back to twin spring setup. I grabbed a skf seal kit to try aswell. Have you found ohlins spring rate and sag settings to be pretty spot on? Have you had to go far from stock clicker settings? Does it do anything weird like dive under braking or squat excessively etc, did you get yours revalved or stock valving?

PS, did those springs work out for you, if not did you want to sell them :-)
Crush
9/21/2015 3:22am
Hey Buddy.

Yep, been out quite bit. So stoked with my bike, fucking inspiring! Arm pump is hardly the issue it ever has been and the thing just soaks shit up, holds it's line... So nice! A couple of the boys noted i've started going faster and looking more comfy.

3 in comp and rebound this weekend, 2 before. Track was sticky mud for the morning so trying to compensate for that and me not having dropped any weight the last little while. Got really sick and out of the gym but back too it this week. I'd say the springs are fine, maybe a bit on the soft side–or maybe that's just the action? Either way, very cushy.

Will go back out 1 C/R on fork next time And/Or recheck sag or Fork height.... I'm really tall so tend to sit back a bit too much, waiting on 2Tall kit which will probably remedy more issues there.

Pumped man. Kenny just bolted em up, so hopefully you have the same luck!

Post a reply to: KTM Ohlins inserts

The Latest