KLX No-start

Trfsrfr
Hello all,

I just picked up a 1993 KLX650R (A-1) that was a basket case and came in pieces.

Well I put the pieces back together and sprayed some carb cleaner down the throat but it wont even pop.

Compression is at about 135psi and I am getting spark. I just put the cams in so I know the valve timing is good.

Anybody got any experience with these things and care to offer some advice?
I would much appreciate it.

Thanks!
|
Paw Paw 271
8/11/2016 3:55pm
Compression is low....Are you 100% sure of the cam timing?...Clean the carb....Blue spark?......Valves sealing?

Paw Paw
Cancerman
8/11/2016 10:56pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2016 11:01pm
Cam timing is critical. It took me several try's to get it perfect. Also, if the pilot circuit is clogged, it's a bear to start. The KLX 650R is an easier starting big bore 4T when fresh and right. I'd like to grab another one. Also, check the decompress-or, that may be why the low compression.
Trfsrfr
8/12/2016 6:23pm Edited Date/Time 8/12/2016 6:28pm
Thanks for the replies, here is an update;

It runs.

I hooked up the gas tank and kicked her over a ton and got her to pop.
Since I dont have the cooling system hooked up I didn't let her go long, but in the space of about 3 hours I had her running about 5 times for a total of about 4 minutes. She don't sound too bad in my (semi) inexperienced opinion, and revved quickly. I didn't bring her too high in the R's because there wasn't any coolant in it, but it makes expected power IMO.
She was quite noisy in the cam area at first and had a leak at the oil feed line; I have since tightened those fittings and changed the oil and put in some 20w-50. The cam noise is now quieter, but still noticeable.

I think at this point I am concerned about the cam noise, and the transmission. It doesn't currently have a drive chain on it and the drive sprocket is always turning, even in gear (which I assume is normal), but I dont have any experience in this area.

Any recommendations?

Post a reply to: KLX No-start

The Latest