I guess the ODI / Emig grips don't fit all?

jeffro503
Edited Date/Time 11/5/2015 12:33am
Quick question here guys before I burn rubber off to work. I picked up a couple sets of the Emig lock on grips for my Kawi about a month ago. The grips feel really good , but the plastic throttle tube is definitely a little sloppy compared to stock. I tried putting a set on my 06' RM250 and out of the 3 possible throttle tube cams , the one that fit the best out of the 3 , had a good 1/4" of slop.

Do you think there is a different part number for these grips? They have them on motosport listed to fit my Kawi ( which they do ) , but they also have them listed as fitting the RM , which they don't. Very sloppy and from what I could figure out , the " Throttle stop " on the cam just isn't long enough. The the throttle actually goes in reverse and throttle on positions with about a 1/4" of slop.
|
jeffro503
6/15/2015 8:40am
Edit : side note , I'm not done playing around with them yet. I may be able to turn one of the cams around backwards and see if that works.
Slosh 112
6/15/2015 12:41pm
I have noticed this on my 13 YZ450F, I adjusted the slack out on the plastic slack adjuster.

I also noticed that the throttle stop doesn't stop it rotating forward after a while, I noticed it after I started my bike on the stand and it was running horrible, went to give it a bit of throttle and it was stuck, gave it a firm twist and it sort of snapped free, It only happens when the tube is pushed inward toward the centre of the bars and rotated forward. I must have done it while I was starting it and not noticed, The OEM tube doesn't do this, ever since then my bike shuts off as soon as I move it, and now I have to take it to the dealer to get it diagnosed, may have damaged the Throttle Position Sensor...
Eddie_E
6/15/2015 2:18pm
They usually come with 3 cams. The YZ is slightly bigger than the CRF cam. Make sure you didn't mix them up. I'm pretty happy with them on my 07 CRF450. I might try the YZ cam soon though to get a slightly faster pull.
jeffro503
6/15/2015 9:21pm
Thanks guys for the input. Slosh I noticed the same thing on the slop on my Kawi as well. On the RM there was no way for it to work " safely " because along with the slop , it would catch on something , which isn't a good thing. I LOVE the grip itself and they do work ok on my Kawi , but I'm not sure I'll be buying any more. I think there is just way to many throttle tube on all these different brands of bikes , and having just 3 different cams sometimes just doesn't work. I may be going back to the old way , buying grips and gluing.

The Shop

Slosh 112
6/16/2015 12:00am
Yeah I love the actual grips themselves, I put around 15Hrs on mine and they held up great until it locked past 0 on the throttle sideand now I'm having dramas with my bike not wanting to run, Could be a coincidence but I'm not sure I have any faith in them anymore and disassembling the throttle to replace the grip is sort of counter productive for me, although I thought I hated replacing and wiring grips but now I kind of miss it haha.
6/26/2015 8:14pm
Installed them on my 06' 450CRF. Love them, but the plastic tube didn"t last long. put my pro taper throttle tube back on.
ianhendry46
6/28/2015 12:42pm
Slosh, save your money and just go back to oem throttle tube and regular grips then adjust your cable back out and see how that works. I'm a dealership technician and I have seen this more than once. If I'm wrong, then I apologize but I highly doubt there is anything wrong with the tps.
Slosh 112
7/2/2015 1:22pm
Slosh, save your money and just go back to oem throttle tube and regular grips then adjust your cable back out and see how that works...
Slosh, save your money and just go back to oem throttle tube and regular grips then adjust your cable back out and see how that works. I'm a dealership technician and I have seen this more than once. If I'm wrong, then I apologize but I highly doubt there is anything wrong with the tps.
OK ill try that this afternoon. fingers crossed.
Slosh 112
7/2/2015 11:31pm
Slosh, save your money and just go back to oem throttle tube and regular grips then adjust your cable back out and see how that works...
Swapped the OEM tub back on today, didn't completely fix it, but now I can get on it and ride it around the backyard. but the engine shuts off when I hit the front brake hard and the weight transfers to the front, whereas before I could barely move the bike without it shutting off, I've swapped ECU's to see if the lean angle sensor was faulty before I refitted the old tube about a week ago and it yielded no change... Does the TPS need re calibrating with the yamaha FI diagnostic tool?

But like I said, before I did this today I couldn't even get it of the stand without it conking out so I feel like I'm going in the right direction.
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
7/3/2015 7:58am
Hm. I've got a set on both my 14 kx250f and 03 kx250. I've only had the 250 for a few weeks but I've been running them on my 250f for over a year now (just put on a new pair last week). On the 250f I noticed that the throttle can go in the reverse direction just barely off the rest 0 throttle position. I've never had any issues but Slosh, is this what you're referring to?
Slosh 112
7/3/2015 6:03pm
Yes, when I had the Emig grip on my bike the throttle could twist a fair way in the opposite direction past 0 throttle, when I swapped the OEM tube back in I noticed the cam on the Emig grip is narrower and can wear and eventually squeeze past the stoppers that are cast into the yamaha throttle assembly.
Either way my bike wouldn't ride with the Emig grip on it and as soon as i put the standard tube in and adjusted the throttle cable back to normal it all of a sudden runs fine.... well except for stalling when i mash the front brakes....

You can see here its worn grooves into it from the two little stoppers in the housing.

731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
7/3/2015 6:51pm
Interesting. I'll have to inspect the old one I pulled out and compare it to the oem tube. You've sparked my curiosity.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
725th
11/4/2015 11:31am
Just installed a pair of the V2 lock on grips on my 2013 YZ250F and noticed a lot of extra, side to side play in the throttle tube. Pulled it off and, just like Slosh posted above, the "A" cam was noticeably thinner than the OEM tube which I guess is contributing to the extra play.

The other cams included with the grips were thicker, comparable to the OEM thickness, but were for other models, according to the application guide.
slipdog
11/4/2015 11:43am
Well I got a set of the standard ODI lock on for my '08 CRF, it came with only one cam and it was wider than stock and rubbed in the housing causing it to turn like an '87 KX500 with the original cable. It would also randomly stick open and I had to use a razor blade to shave it thinner which only made it marginally better. I threw them in the trash and went back to standard grips with a aluminum roller bearing tube.
Slosh 112
11/5/2015 12:33am
Yeah I'm not a fan of them anymore... Renthal soft compound full diamond grips or Pro Grip 788's all the way!

Post a reply to: I guess the ODI / Emig grips don't fit all?

The Latest