How to clean inside of 2 stroke pipe and silencer

tbgonz
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2016 11:40am
I decided to change the packing on my silencer since it's leaked tons oil on my swing arm. Discovered it looks like the previous owner(s) hadn't ever repackaged the silencer. The carbon build up is crazy. I've been having to poke out the holes in the core bc they were so clogged. I'm like 60% thru but it's taking forever. Can I soak it in anything to really get that deposit off? Also, I can only assume there's as much in the pipe as there is in the silencer. Is there something I can soak that in as well? I'm not going to burn any of this stuff off. I need a solvent. Anyone have success? It's an fmf pipe and possibly an fmf silencer off a use 99' CR250 I bought.

|
.kyle
1/24/2016 12:56pm
What about using an ultrasonic cleaner? Would save a lot of elbow grease.
tbgonz
1/24/2016 1:02pm
.kyle wrote:
What about using an ultrasonic cleaner? Would save a lot of elbow grease.
Where would you go to have that done? What kind of solvent would you use with it? I can't imagine straight up water being that great for the pipe and silencer unless I could dry the insides with compressed air or something.
moto455va
1/24/2016 1:33pm
Im pretty sure oven/grill cleaner does a good job of removing that type of buildup
.kyle
1/24/2016 1:36pm
tbgonz wrote:
Where would you go to have that done? What kind of solvent would you use with it? I can't imagine straight up water being that great...
Where would you go to have that done? What kind of solvent would you use with it? I can't imagine straight up water being that great for the pipe and silencer unless I could dry the insides with compressed air or something.
It would probably be a case of taking the pipe to someone for them to do it. The bad thing with that....it costs money. At least elbow grease is free. lol. Best way to see what it's about is have a peek on youtube. You can get some very impressive results.

You could always find some sort of nasty kitchen cleaning products like caustic soda, however I'm not sure how kindly the bike parts would take to the stuff.

The Shop

Bruce372
1/24/2016 1:41pm
Pressure washer. I do it to our grill every year and it works a champ afterwards
1/24/2016 3:27pm
I've used kerosene and small peastone or gravel on a two stroke pipe. Do it over and over.

First time you start the bike up make sure you get it good and hot.
1/24/2016 3:58pm
Get a couple of cans of Yamaha combustion chamber cleaner, spray the inside of the pipe and silencer heavily, let it soak for an hour or two. Then pressure wash.
mb
1/24/2016 6:17pm
Grab a propane torch and burn them both out. Once you smoke up that core (it will catch on fire) keep the flame on until it stops burning. Grab a brush and brush away the burnt carbon. Do the same for the pipe, rinse with brake cleaner/gas/paint thinner when done to remove deposits.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OsfzGyb7ilA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TU3r4vK33r8
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
1/25/2016 9:21am
Step 1: clean massive amounts of carbon from pipe and muffler.

Step 2: Use Castor 2-stroke oil cu'z it smells bitchin.

Step 3: Repeat step 1 many times.

(Note: If using synthetic oil skip step 3 and just continue riding and having fun not cleaning massive amounts of carbon)
1/25/2016 2:32pm
FGR01 wrote:
Step 1: clean massive amounts of carbon from pipe and muffler. Step 2: Use Castor 2-stroke oil cu'z it smells bitchin. Step 3: Repeat step 1...
Step 1: clean massive amounts of carbon from pipe and muffler.

Step 2: Use Castor 2-stroke oil cu'z it smells bitchin.

Step 3: Repeat step 1 many times.

(Note: If using synthetic oil skip step 3 and just continue riding and having fun not cleaning massive amounts of carbon)
ahahaha so true yet I continue to use 927.
tbgonz
1/25/2016 3:00pm
Get a couple of cans of Yamaha combustion chamber cleaner, spray the inside of the pipe and silencer heavily, let it soak for an hour or...
Get a couple of cans of Yamaha combustion chamber cleaner, spray the inside of the pipe and silencer heavily, let it soak for an hour or two. Then pressure wash.
Has this worked pretty well for you? Thanks for the suggestion.
ebers
Fantasy
174th
1/25/2016 5:23pm
Out of curiously, why won't you burn the carbon build up off?

What are you going to repack the silencer with?
tempura
1/25/2016 6:50pm Edited Date/Time 1/25/2016 6:51pm
Burn and wire brush it off the silencer. Use a plumbers gas torch.
Use the gas torch to burn down the pipe. When it gets hot and starts smoking put some light compressed air down the pipe. Don't do this in your garage or anywhere there is a possibility of fire.

MR. X
1/26/2016 8:27am Edited Date/Time 1/26/2016 8:29am
moto455va wrote:
Im pretty sure oven/grill cleaner does a good job of removing that type of buildup
Nevermind, I wasn't thinking properly.
ThorsMX
1/26/2016 11:30am
Why not have your girl-Friends little brother clean your bike while your inside doing the deed then come out in time to see the hose shoved in the silencer, water spewing out of the air box then him saying " It's finally clean, the water was black for a long time but now it's clean" ! UGH!
1/26/2016 11:40am
If you want to soak it, mineral spirits should eat away those deposits with some a little scrubbing, but make damn sure its dry before you pack it back up. If you want to try to clean it with a stiff brush, spot clean it with contact cleaner or brake cleaner. If you've got the good stuff, those deposits should come off nicely and it won't leave any residue.

Post a reply to: How to clean inside of 2 stroke pipe and silencer

The Latest