How To Remove Linkage Bearings?

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
Hey guys, any tricks on removing the bearings in the linage arm? 2016 KTM 125. They are so rusted over, I have no idea what the previous owner was thinking. They are not loose needle bearings but in a cage.

Thanks so much!
|
RussB
Fantasy
1164th
10/14/2016 1:22am
If you can't get behind them to punch them out then you can always use a dremel and very, very carefully grind the bearing away at one point to relieve the tension so they will drop out.

I always file a small groove into my link arms so I can get good contact with a punch onto the bearing to make removal easier in the future
Turbojez
10/14/2016 1:56am
If you don't have a press, use a bench vice and sockets, works just as well. You put a socket, just a bit smaller than hole in your linkage, so it's partly inside, pushing against the bearing on one side. Another socket, bigger than the hole on the other side of the linkage hole, and squish it with the vice. The bearing (or what's left of it) will have no other way than to come out. I think it's safer than pounding/punching it out.
RussB
Fantasy
1164th
10/14/2016 2:04am
Turbojez wrote:
If you don't have a press, use a bench vice and sockets, works just as well. You put a socket, just a bit smaller than hole...
If you don't have a press, use a bench vice and sockets, works just as well. You put a socket, just a bit smaller than hole in your linkage, so it's partly inside, pushing against the bearing on one side. Another socket, bigger than the hole on the other side of the linkage hole, and squish it with the vice. The bearing (or what's left of it) will have no other way than to come out. I think it's safer than pounding/punching it out.
This method doesn't always work for the link arm though as the bearings often sit against a shoulder in the link arm. Unless KTM's link arms don't have a shoulder, in which case the socket press method is definitely the way to go
notme
10/14/2016 4:33am
I always heat up the link with a propane torch and use a socket to tap them out with a hammer. Works every time.

The Shop

walent215
10/14/2016 4:42am
notme wrote:
I always heat up the link with a propane torch and use a socket to tap them out with a hammer. Works every time.
Used a little bit of heat on mine and the bearing came out with ease
Frodad78
10/14/2016 5:59am
I like to soak rusted stuck parts in PB blaster. That stuff is serious. Little heat, press them out in a vice.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
10/14/2016 6:26am
Turbojez wrote:
If you don't have a press, use a bench vice and sockets, works just as well. You put a socket, just a bit smaller than hole...
RussB wrote:
This method doesn't always work for the link arm though as the bearings often sit against a shoulder in the link arm. Unless KTM's link arms...
This method doesn't always work for the link arm though as the bearings often sit against a shoulder in the link arm. Unless KTM's link arms don't have a shoulder, in which case the socket press method is definitely the way to go
Ok cool thanks guys. Yeah the shoulder is what's giving me a hard time. I think I keep hitting that and not the actual bearing. I'll try some heat.
DoctorJD
10/14/2016 10:35am
Frodad78 wrote:
I like to soak rusted stuck parts in PB blaster. That stuff is serious. Little heat, press them out in a vice.
Yeah, PB Blaster works wonders, but damn is smells awful!
stevo450
10/14/2016 3:58pm
Heat and inverted pliers. Works well. Best bet is to get a blind bearing puller and use that along with a bit of heat.
rrjr
10/15/2016 9:57pm
You can also use a piece of threaded rod and the bigger and smaller sockets with a washer and nut on each end.
Keep tightening the end with the big socket and it will pull the smaller socket and bearing right out.

Rusted linkage bearings usually are from poorly aimed blasts from a pressure washer. I'd check the wheel bearings too.
I'm sure the previous owner blasted the crap out of them also.
BobPA
10/16/2016 11:19am
X10 for a bit of heat
Frodad78
10/17/2016 6:36am
Frodad78 wrote:
DoctorJD wrote:
Yeah, PB Blaster works wonders, but damn is smells awful!
I know! It toxic as shit. My wife is always telling me to ventilate the garage. Shes the smart one.

Post a reply to: How To Remove Linkage Bearings?

The Latest