Hinson Clutch Kit

RussB
Fantasy
1164th
Edited Date/Time 5/11/2016 1:32pm
I own a 2008 Suzuki RM250 and for years I have read of other owners saying that a Hinson clutch set up is a must in this bike.

Up till now I've been using a stock hub and pressure plate, with Mitaka baskets and ProX fibres, steels and springs. I've only replaced the hub once in the 6 years I've owned the bike. I tend to get around 1.5 seasons out of the Mitaka basket and ProX clutch kit and I've never replaced the pressure plate.

I need to replace the basket and clutch kit, and the hub is showing some very mild wear.
I'm basically just looking for someone to explain why a Hinson set up is better and what makes a Hinson set up so much better? Will a Hinson basket that costs X2 as much as a Mitaka one last twice as long? Will the clutch feel and engagement be that much better?
|
Slosh 112
5/9/2016 2:57am Edited Date/Time 5/9/2016 3:01am
I've put Hinsons in a few of my bikes and they can cop a fair hiding, I think its mainly to do with the fact that they are billet and have special hard anodising (maybe type III hard ano or even akadizing). Billet aluminium responds better to coatings and surface treatments much better than cast aluminium does because it is more dense at its base structure.

Not sure that their fibre and steel plates would be that much different to what OEM or any other after market brand would use, I think that most of the benefits that a Hinson has is to do with the fact they are machined from billet and their surface treatment, whatever that may be. I Put two full Hinson clutches in my 06 YZ250F and in my Brothers YFZ450 (quad). the 250f spent 4 seasons in there and no signs of wear and the quads clutch is still in there after a few years same thing. But Ive never been hard on clutches.

As far as lasting twice as long and difference in feel? I've never roasted a clutch not even on an 85, but like I said I'm not hard on clutches like some people, feel wise? their springs make the pull a bit heavier at the lever but can't tell any difference in the actual engagement of the whole thing versus oem.
Gary105
5/9/2016 5:38am
Can you even get a Hinson Clutch kit for that year Suzuki. I have an 07 and i believe the only thing available was the basket for those years. Earlier models i thought you could get the whole kit but not the later year RMs. I may be wrong. I would be interested to see what you guys know about this.
RussB
Fantasy
1164th
5/9/2016 6:16am Edited Date/Time 5/9/2016 6:25am
Gary105 wrote:
Can you even get a Hinson Clutch kit for that year Suzuki. I have an 07 and i believe the only thing available was the basket...
Can you even get a Hinson Clutch kit for that year Suzuki. I have an 07 and i believe the only thing available was the basket for those years. Earlier models i thought you could get the whole kit but not the later year RMs. I may be wrong. I would be interested to see what you guys know about this.
I've just done a quick bit of research and found out a few things.
Baskets are readily available for 06+ RM's, there are a few UK sites that sell the hubs (£250 though!) and if you search the depths of eBay worldwide I found a Spanish company which claim to sell pressure plates for 03-06 RM's.
With regards to the fibres, steels and springs then no these aren't available for later model RM's however I am confident that RMZ450 fibres will work in a RM250. I bought a rekluse slipper clutch kit for my RMZ450 which fits both that and an RM, so in theory you should be abe to use RMZ fibres in the 2 stroke.
When I get chance I will whip both clutch covers off the bikes and have a play around to see what might interchange
RussB
Fantasy
1164th
5/9/2016 6:18am
Slosh 112 wrote:
I've put Hinsons in a few of my bikes and they can cop a fair hiding, I think its mainly to do with the fact that...
I've put Hinsons in a few of my bikes and they can cop a fair hiding, I think its mainly to do with the fact that they are billet and have special hard anodising (maybe type III hard ano or even akadizing). Billet aluminium responds better to coatings and surface treatments much better than cast aluminium does because it is more dense at its base structure.

Not sure that their fibre and steel plates would be that much different to what OEM or any other after market brand would use, I think that most of the benefits that a Hinson has is to do with the fact they are machined from billet and their surface treatment, whatever that may be. I Put two full Hinson clutches in my 06 YZ250F and in my Brothers YFZ450 (quad). the 250f spent 4 seasons in there and no signs of wear and the quads clutch is still in there after a few years same thing. But Ive never been hard on clutches.

As far as lasting twice as long and difference in feel? I've never roasted a clutch not even on an 85, but like I said I'm not hard on clutches like some people, feel wise? their springs make the pull a bit heavier at the lever but can't tell any difference in the actual engagement of the whole thing versus oem.
Thanks for the info slosh!
4 seasons on the basket and no wear... that's impressive! If they really do last that long then that would certainly justify the extra cost and likely be a more economical option instead of using lesser quality baskets and replacing more often

The Shop

Gary105
5/9/2016 7:46am
And by the way i do have a Hinson basket in my bike. Wish they sold a whole kit for the 07's.

RussB
Fantasy
1164th
5/9/2016 8:33am Edited Date/Time 5/9/2016 8:33am
Gary105 wrote:
And by the way i do have a Hinson basket in my bike. Wish they sold a whole kit for the 07's.[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/05/09/134555/s1200_DSC_0137.jpg[/img]
And by the way i do have a Hinson basket in my bike. Wish they sold a whole kit for the 07's.

How is the basket holding up? Done many hours on it?

Lovely RM!
Gary105
5/9/2016 9:15am
Just put the basket in. Have only ridden the bike a little since installing it. I am sure it will hold up just fine though. I will more than likely being pulling the clutch apart for an inspection this coming weekend since i plan on hitting some tracks this week with the bike.
5/10/2016 6:15am
They used to make a full hinson kit for the rm 250. If your look all over the net you might find one still.

I have a full hinson unit on my rm 125. Pressure plate, inner hub, basket, and clutch springs. I use oem clutch plates. It's a discontinued unit as well. Just have to look hard for them
RussB
Fantasy
1164th
5/10/2016 8:18am
They used to make a full hinson kit for the rm 250. If your look all over the net you might find one still. I have...
They used to make a full hinson kit for the rm 250. If your look all over the net you might find one still.

I have a full hinson unit on my rm 125. Pressure plate, inner hub, basket, and clutch springs. I use oem clutch plates. It's a discontinued unit as well. Just have to look hard for them
Yeah I've seen them pop up from time to time so will keep an eye out, a pressure plate and hub would be really nice.

Just bit the bullet and purchased a Hinson Basket. I managed to get one from America, posted, with customs and import duty pre paid, for £69 LESS than the cheapest price from a UK seller. I live in the wrong country...
HackMan162
5/11/2016 10:10am
I am running the Hinson basket with new OEM hub and pressure plate. I had the hub and pressure plate hard anodized before using them and it has helped the life. I have scoured the interwebs for new Hinson hub and pressure plate but have come up empty handed.

I wonder if we could get a group buy on these? Make it worth their while to crank out a few. I am sure the CNC data is still in their shop.
5/11/2016 1:32pm
I emailed hinson about this before. They require minumum 50 part order before they will fire up their cnc line. Or atleast that's what they told me 6 months ago. That's a lot of rm 250 owners to round up lol!

Post a reply to: Hinson Clutch Kit

The Latest