Has anyone done a PWK swap?

MXtoXS
Edited Date/Time 5/25/2015 7:36pm
I have been having some trouble with the electronic PWK on my RM (03 RM250) Flooding, poor jetting, spooge....I have had several bikes and have never had this much trouble (or spooge covered fenders) to the point that I'm looking for options...or at least advice.
I have a long body 38mm air stryker I used on another bike that will fit in place of the shorty, I wonder what is affected by unplugging the TPS and solenoid? I understand that the purpose is to enrich mid rpm with the power jet circuit, but does it affect timing? I have read a lot of posts where people have experienced better performance when they disconnect the electronics, but how about just replacing the whole damn problem? How much would jetting change? I can use the Suzuki needles in the long body right? I believe the 'zook tripple tapers are a better product? Uug, I'm on my last nerve with this carb.
|
dogger315
12/11/2014 9:26pm
MXtoXS wrote:
I have been having some trouble with the electronic PWK on my RM (03 RM250) Flooding, poor jetting, spooge....I have had several bikes and have never...
I have been having some trouble with the electronic PWK on my RM (03 RM250) Flooding, poor jetting, spooge....I have had several bikes and have never had this much trouble (or spooge covered fenders) to the point that I'm looking for options...or at least advice.
I have a long body 38mm air stryker I used on another bike that will fit in place of the shorty, I wonder what is affected by unplugging the TPS and solenoid? I understand that the purpose is to enrich mid rpm with the power jet circuit, but does it affect timing? I have read a lot of posts where people have experienced better performance when they disconnect the electronics, but how about just replacing the whole damn problem? How much would jetting change? I can use the Suzuki needles in the long body right? I believe the 'zook tripple tapers are a better product? Uug, I'm on my last nerve with this carb.
Replacing your "electronic" PWK with a standard one will effectively eliminate any benefits you get from 3D ignition mapping.
In order for your ignition to function at that level, it needs the feedback from the TPS.

Of course your bike will run fine without the power jet and TPS, and since you can't get the jetting right with your current set up,
it may even run better.

Both carbs use the same kind of jets and needles.

dogger
MXtoXS
12/12/2014 8:05am
Thanks dogger, I've seen your posts on similiar subjects on other forums...I was pretty sure the system has to be complete to function properly and that the timing wouldn't work right without the TPS.
I really don't want to disable it and maybe I'll try the other carb for kicks, but I want to use the OEM one long term.
Digger29
12/12/2014 9:14am
I bought and sold and raced a number of Motoworld, Rockstar, Primal Impulse and Team Suzuki RM250's and they always came with the carb electrics unplugged and the bikes always ran tremendous this way.
MXtoXS
12/12/2014 6:13pm
I prefer to keep things original.....but I am seriously going to try out the screwcap 38AS I have on my workbench. I would like this bike to bark, it feels like a great bike (other than the forks) on the track! And I've been looking into a pair ot 97-98 convos for it.

The Shop

Digger29
12/13/2014 5:17am
MXtoXS wrote:
I prefer to keep things original.....but I am seriously going to try out the screwcap 38AS I have on my workbench. I would like this bike...
I prefer to keep things original.....but I am seriously going to try out the screwcap 38AS I have on my workbench. I would like this bike to bark, it feels like a great bike (other than the forks) on the track! And I've been looking into a pair ot 97-98 convos for it.
I put 98 conventional forks from an RM125 on my 07 RM250 and they were super plush and worked really really well.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
12/13/2014 5:48am
My buddy rides a 03, had constant problems with the carb, I told him to quit messing with the piece of shit and get a standard PWK. He did, all is well.
MXtoXS
12/13/2014 7:43pm
Thanks for the replies....it seems there are quite a few little tricks one can do to this bike. Tomorrow I will test the TPS carb and see how it goes, the back up carb is waiting....I have been watching EBay for some nice forks for a good price to show up. Do they need any mods or will they work for mx/sx use stock? I believe you've had some trick bikes Digger!
I like this bike and have it looking decent, I sure want to get it out on Monster Mountain one of these days!
MXtoXS
12/16/2014 7:51am
Installed a new float ( after extensive testing of the old one ) and that fixed the flooding/dribbling problem, and installed a leaner needle.
Seems to be much better, but I am only able to ride it on the street and sidewalk. The neighbors won't complain, but I don't want to wear out my welcome blasting around. Can't wait to get out to the track!
Cmiller493
12/17/2014 5:41pm
I put a PWK Airstryker screw top (no tps) on my 04 cr250 and love it. It is so clean and crisp off the bottom.
MXtoXS
5/25/2015 7:36pm Edited Date/Time 5/25/2015 7:41pm
In order to install the screw top AS, which is longer, do I need a different air boot or intake? The standard carb is several milimeters longer and seems to push the air boot into the shock spring.

??

Post a reply to: Has anyone done a PWK swap?

The Latest