Grenaded 2013 KTM 150

shiftmx_22
Fantasy
708th
Edited Date/Time 11/5/2014 3:57am
So here's what happened: Last spring my little brother bought a used 2013 KTM 150 from a dealership. He rode it for the summer, he's a decent C rider. He can put the bike to work, but certainly not completely rag it out. Last weekend we were riding at the track and he noticed a bit of a bog so he started riding back to the truck. On the way back it locked up completely. He laid the bike down and walked back to get me. I got there and there was a pool of oil where he had laid the bike. It was completely locked up. Couldn't shift, wouldn't roll or anything.

I've done my fair share of top ends, but have never dug into a bottom, so he took it to the shop (a different one than he bought it from). They told him that the gears piled up and cleaned out the whole motor and punched a hole in the case. They told him they could get him a new crate motor for $4000, but that was about the only option.

So my question is, what are the options? Is there anywhere else he could get an engine? I did a quick ebay search and not much came up other than cart engines. Is he just SOL on this one? I don't think spending $4000 on a new motor is even worth it.
|
moco
10/24/2014 11:47am
If you don't get anywhere I have a tactic you can try.
But because of the nature of these machines being used for competition with a limited warranty, it will help if you can pin the defect on something out of the ordinary. Typically with more common failures like spun bearings, Piston/rod issues, I would think you would be SOL. I've never heard of 'gears piling up' before so maybe you have a chance.
There is a concept called "merchantable quality". Where I live its a law, and I'm almost certain every state has it. It simply states that when things are fresh out of warranty, the item should retain a certain level of quality.
I would call up legal affairs and let them know that you are aware of this law, and that this product's failure falls under this umbrella. I would also work some glaringly obvious safety issues into this complaint.
I've had the entire interior of a fridge replaced when it was 4 years out of warranty. It wouldn't hurt to try your luck and it's not that hard or time consuming to give it a go.
shiftmx_22
Fantasy
708th
10/24/2014 12:03pm
I'm sure we don't have any legal ground for anything is he bought the bike used from a dealership in the states, then imported it to Canada.
moco
10/24/2014 12:08pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2014 12:10pm
I live in Canada. It's an ontario law. I don't think change of ownership has anything to do with 'merchantable quality'. All it takes is a phone call and a couple emails. All you're doing is citing a law - you're not turning into a legal battle.
scooter5002
10/24/2014 12:49pm
I would see what, if anything, can be salvaged from the motor. Crank, clutch, cyl, etc. Price out new stuff from the cheapest US dealer you can find, and go from there. It will be expensive, but not 4G. Would help if you knew someone who could do this on the side, not pay a shop to do the job at $90 an hour.

Where are you in Alberta?

The Shop

shiftmx_22
Fantasy
708th
10/24/2014 1:20pm
I think that might be what we end up doing. Between myself, my dad and my little bro we should be able to figure it out. We're all fairly handy.

I'm down south. Close to Lethbridge.
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
10/24/2014 2:47pm
moco wrote:
If you don't get anywhere I have a tactic you can try. But because of the nature of these machines being used for competition with a...
If you don't get anywhere I have a tactic you can try.
But because of the nature of these machines being used for competition with a limited warranty, it will help if you can pin the defect on something out of the ordinary. Typically with more common failures like spun bearings, Piston/rod issues, I would think you would be SOL. I've never heard of 'gears piling up' before so maybe you have a chance.
There is a concept called "merchantable quality". Where I live its a law, and I'm almost certain every state has it. It simply states that when things are fresh out of warranty, the item should retain a certain level of quality.
I would call up legal affairs and let them know that you are aware of this law, and that this product's failure falls under this umbrella. I would also work some glaringly obvious safety issues into this complaint.
I've had the entire interior of a fridge replaced when it was 4 years out of warranty. It wouldn't hurt to try your luck and it's not that hard or time consuming to give it a go.
Interesting reply...not sure this would apply to this type of failure. From what I understand this is more to cover a product that wasn't fit for this purpose- not to cover the failure of a defective component within the product.

I would perhaps call this a latent defect..

I would inspect the parts to see if you can find the root cause of the failure...ex. Casting defect in a gear..if so contact KTM and ask for a concession. They may be willing to kick in for some of the costs.

pete24
10/24/2014 5:55pm
my buddy completely killed a ktm250sx like that last year and called Munn racing and they sold him and entire engine pretty reasonable too,but you need to send that thing to a local mx shop and have them look at it, labor for a guy who does that all the time is between 4-700 buks and there aint 3300 worth of broken parts thats for sure
cr80rider
11/2/2014 7:18pm
I killed my 250sx back in 09 with 15 hours on it like that. Was lucky enough to save the cases but destroyed everything else. Ktm blamed it on a coolant issue. It was a piston failure and ktm just didn't want to admit it. Bike had almost all it's coolant in it still when I tore it down even after I sent the piston through the head. Bastards....
markit
11/5/2014 3:57am
I dont get the warranty on a race bike thing? In the day if you went racig and toasted your engine you manned up and fixed it.

Post a reply to: Grenaded 2013 KTM 150

The Latest