Front wheel alignment help?

Rickiells
9/18/2014 11:25am
You ever seen mechanics kicking the front tire after their rider crashes hard? They do this to fix the problem you're looking at right now. Basically, what I'm saying is this happens all the time. The forks will twist in the triple clamps in certain events of a crash.

Either turn the bars to the stop and kick it straight or you can loosen the pinch bolts on the triple clamps and finesse it back to straight.

Don't know if you really bent the axle, but to check take it out and roll it along a flat surface. Any kind of bend will be apparent in the axle if it "hops" along or a gap can be seen when rolling on a flat surface.

Do that and then get back to me about the brake squeal.
9/18/2014 3:20pm
Make sure to loosen all the pinch point bolts.
straighten wheel the best you can, Spin the front tire and hit the front brake, do it a couple times and then hold the brake, tighten pinch bolts.
its always worked for me.
I know it sounds obvious but make sure your pinch bolts are loose on your front axle.
motofab36
9/18/2014 6:05pm
I had a kid bring in a 250f last week with a flat front tire and said he couldn't get the axle out. He had beat the end of it up so bad the nut wouldn't go back on. I loosened the 4 pinch bolts and it slid right out.
GOONrider27
9/19/2014 6:05am
motofab36 wrote:
I had a kid bring in a 250f last week with a flat front tire and said he couldn't get the axle out. He had beat...
I had a kid bring in a 250f last week with a flat front tire and said he couldn't get the axle out. He had beat the end of it up so bad the nut wouldn't go back on. I loosened the 4 pinch bolts and it slid right out.
Should've been more clear, it's the nut that won't budge

The Shop

motofab36
9/19/2014 6:27am
Not trying to be a dick here but you are not talking about the end that you showed in you top picture are you? The nut is on the brake side, take it off, loosen the 2 pinch bolts at the bottom of each fork leg then tap it out with a rubber hammer.

To straighten the front end you need to loosen all the pinch bolts up on the triple clamps, get everything straightened back up then using a torque wrench, re-tighten the pinch bolts to 16.5 ft. pounds. Make sure the fork tubes are both sticking out the top of the clamps the same before tightening.
Rickiells
9/19/2014 9:21am
motofab36 wrote:
I had a kid bring in a 250f last week with a flat front tire and said he couldn't get the axle out. He had beat...
Should've been more clear, it's the nut that won't budge
If the nut's not budging. Try loosening all the pinch bolts on the fork lugs. Then, with a wrench spin the axle.

If you crashed hard enough the axle may have jarred a little sideways causing the torque on the nut to increase.

If the axle spins a couple revolutions with all the pinch bolts loose go ahead and tighten the two pinch bolts opposite of the brake caliper and nut to hold the axle. Then try loosening the nut again.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
9/19/2014 11:44am
Remove the pinch bolts entirely, then take a flat blade screwdriver and tap it from the side into the now open slit. This will open up the clamp; just don't overdo it, a little bit is all you need.
Teej317
Fantasy
2060th
6/12/2017 8:06pm
I can't get the alignment correct on my 05 RM250. I reinstalled the front wheel correctly and loosed my pinch bolts. However when I tighten my left fork pinch bolts, it pulls things out of alignment (or so it appears anyway). I've tried several methods. Could it be a damaged axle or bent forks? Is it rare for that kind of thing to happen?
Hondas4Life3
6/13/2017 10:51am Edited Date/Time 6/13/2017 10:51am
Loosen top pinch bolts, bottom pinch bolts, steering stem nut, lower fork lug bolts, axle nut. Then take it all apart. Put it back together and re-torque everything in the order the service manual says. It will straighten itself. Bar mounts might be tweaked so check those.
Paw Paw
6/13/2017 12:17pm
Loosen top pinch bolts, bottom pinch bolts...Hold the tire between your legs and turn the handle bars in the direction the front tire is pointing until it is back straight, then retighten the bolts. Everything should be then back in alignment.

Question....That bike is now 11 years old and you have stated that " the front axle has never been removed", so I want to know how the front tire has lasted so long much less the wheel bearings and seals? It would seem that regular maintenance is running a bit behind schedule on the bike.

Paw Paw

Post a reply to: Front wheel alignment help?

The Latest