Front brake drag

MXD
I have a 16 KX450 with about 25 hours on it. It has EBC MX sintered pads and some KYB spring forks off of a 2010 KX450. I don't believe the issue is with caliper alignment due to the KYB forks or the fork alignment. When I install the front wheel, I torque the axle and then torque the caliper side pinch bolts. Then I open up the opposite side pinch bolts and make sure that the right fork tube is relaxed in its natural position.

So just as the title says, there is an excessive amount of drag on my front wheel when I spin it on the stand. If I open the caliper, the wheel spins freely so it's not a bearing issue. If I squeeze the brakes hard and release them normally, the drag is bad enough that when I spin the wheel on the stand it will make maybe 2 full revolutions and stop firmly. But if I pull the lever in and "flick" it out, the drag is reduced and the wheel will spin 4-5 revolutions. I've drained and replaced the fluid and disassembled everything and it all looks good. I'm stumped. Has anyone dealt with this before?
|
MXD
9/12/2016 9:19pm
jhansen510 wrote:
Rotor bent?
No, it's a steady drag but I think I may have figured it out. The little metal spring clips that hold a bit of tension on the pads were causing one of the pads to get hung up on the pin. I'll confirm it tomorrow.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
9/12/2016 9:56pm
Have you tried to spread the pads when the wheel is off? Maybe the caliper is sticking?

The Shop

Paw Paw
9/13/2016 8:56am
Jrewing wrote:
Or too much fluid in reservoir.
X2
I have seen this a lot. Too much fluid and the caliber will not allow the pads to pull back.

Paw Paw
MXD
9/13/2016 9:29am
I played with the fluid level as I have seen this in the past as well but that wasn't it.
slipdog
9/13/2016 9:34am
jhansen510 wrote:
Rotor bent?
MXD wrote:
No, it's a steady drag but I think I may have figured it out. The little metal spring clips that hold a bit of tension on...
No, it's a steady drag but I think I may have figured it out. The little metal spring clips that hold a bit of tension on the pads were causing one of the pads to get hung up on the pin. I'll confirm it tomorrow.
Anytime my brake starts to drag I pull the pads and clean everything well and polish the pin really well because that is what usually makes the pad drag. When done the wheels spin for days...
9/13/2016 10:11am
Remove the pads
Advance the pistons out of their bores. Dont let them go too far. If they wont come out evenly, just do one at a time.
Spray around the pistons with brake cleaner. One mud race can pack enough crud in there to cause the pistons to start getting sticky. Maybe use a little WD-40 also, then follow up with brake cleaner.
Take a little high temperature grease and smear a very thin layer around the surface of the pistons. Push the pistons back into their bores then wipe up the excess. The grease will act as a barrier against the crud getting packed in there, as well as lubricating the pistons. Make sure to use high temp grease to withstand the heat from braking and clean up any excess to prevent contaminating the pads.
Reinstall pads
adam8781
9/18/2016 8:30am
pull everything apart, polish the 2 slider pins, re assemble and grease with the proper brake pin grease, anything else will swell the rubber and ruin the rubber boots. also pulling and cleaning the pistons is a good idea.

Post a reply to: Front brake drag

The Latest