Fork rebuild tools

MXD
8/2/2016 11:00am
I'm about to dive into my first fork rebuild. Are there any special tools that are must haves? If so, any recommendations on which brands? For example, Tusk and Motion Pro both make cap tools but they are quite different in design. Is either fine?

Thanks
|
Slosh 112
8/2/2016 11:31am
Will definitely need fork cap tool, fork seal driver & aluminium soft jaws for your bench vice. I have Motion Pro cap tools and drivers and they are pretty well designed. There are a plethora of specific fork and shock servicing tools you can load yourself up with but thats all you need if you are doing a set of twin chamber Showas or SSS KYB's.
MXD
8/2/2016 12:03pm
I saw this one and liked it better than the tusk one. I prefer to torque everything and the tusk one doesn't have a drive for a ratchet/torque wrench.

adam8781
8/2/2016 12:46pm Edited Date/Time 8/2/2016 12:46pm
need a cartridge rod holder tool, i like the race tech one its plastic so it cant scratch the rod. fork cap wrench, and inner cartridge cap wrench, and a bench vice. I made my own soft jaws using aluminum L and magnet tape so they hold themselves on.

ive never used a torque wrench on anything, its not needed at all. and this is on dozens of bikes of every make and model
MXD
8/2/2016 1:00pm
adam8781 wrote:
need a cartridge rod holder tool, i like the race tech one its plastic so it cant scratch the rod. fork cap wrench, and inner cartridge...
need a cartridge rod holder tool, i like the race tech one its plastic so it cant scratch the rod. fork cap wrench, and inner cartridge cap wrench, and a bench vice. I made my own soft jaws using aluminum L and magnet tape so they hold themselves on.

ive never used a torque wrench on anything, its not needed at all. and this is on dozens of bikes of every make and model
I did see the cartridge rod holder in a few videos and added that to my list. A few people I saw just used a 16mm wrench but I like the right tool for the job. Thanks

The Shop

mxtech1
8/2/2016 1:16pm
A few items that are not must-have's but make the job 100X easier.

1) A precision fluid beaker or large agriculture-type syringe that has increments of 5cc

2) Fork tube scrub brush for cleaning the fork tubes
https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-FTB-1-Frame-Brush/dp/B000YBAKVO

3) Fork seal bullets eliminate the chance of damaging new seals.
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/category/fork_seal_bullets/

Lots & lots of brake cleaner!!

I have many Tusk tools and I have never had one fail.
scooter5002
8/2/2016 1:34pm Edited Date/Time 8/2/2016 1:35pm
Here's a couple of tips from 'ol scooter

1: I use a tie down to compress my fork, when I break the bottom of the cartridge rod loose. Do not, under ANY circumstance, use fucking VISE GRIPS, like the jackass who owned my bike before me.

2: ABS pipe, cut in half, and a hose clamp, as a bushing driver. A 1/8 drive extension will push your seals in nicely. Lube the outside edge.

3: Pull your caps loose, and leave your forks to drain, slightly inverted, for a while. Saves a mess.

4: Buy the proper tools. Only use the first 3 tips, when you're standing with your dick in your hand, and no one can do the job for you. That being because you drive truck, and your schedule sucks.
FWYT
8/2/2016 1:58pm
In addition to the good suggestions above- your first time you're going to make a mess. Along with plenty of CLEAN towels, I lay down some butcher paper or a sheet of cardboard so I can just toss it when I'm done. Also consider one of those cheap cement mixing trays from Home Depot to use as a sort of work basin.
BAMX
8/2/2016 4:41pm
Along the line of Chip's post, I like to lay down 3-4 sheets of blue shop towels when taking the forks apart. It keeps everything clean and absorbs any oil that drips off the parts.

Other useful tools
1. digital camera
2. a nice pick to help remove the spring clips.
3, lots of non chlorinated brake cleaner.
MX690
8/2/2016 5:55pm
Here's a tip for you, find yourself on old triple clamp top or bottom doesn't matter, slide it over the fork leg and tighten it up makes the fork so much easier to take the end cap off when the forks out of the bike and no danger of crushing the fork leg in a vice. Because some times you can't get the end cap spanner on the fork while it's in the bike. Hate seeing videos of people putting fork legs in a vice to loosen the end cap, scary.
adam8781
8/2/2016 11:49pm
for at home skip the seal bullets, use a layer of black tape to take the edge off the tops of the fork stantions.
scooter5002
8/3/2016 1:52pm
^ I just use a sandwich baggie for that. Easy peasy.
DuroTools
8/3/2016 2:05pm
I would say seal driver is #1 tool to have, I've done the ABS pipe thing cut in half and it doesn't have the same weight needed to drive it in plus there is a gap that can damage the seals. I'd say the most important thing is the quality of the seals. I made mistake once of getting a mid to lower price seal kit and wasn't happy with them at all, next time will go with a namebrand!
BAMX
8/3/2016 6:26pm
DuroTools wrote:
I would say seal driver is #1 tool to have, I've done the ABS pipe thing cut in half and it doesn't have the same weight...
I would say seal driver is #1 tool to have, I've done the ABS pipe thing cut in half and it doesn't have the same weight needed to drive it in plus there is a gap that can damage the seals. I'd say the most important thing is the quality of the seals. I made mistake once of getting a mid to lower price seal kit and wasn't happy with them at all, next time will go with a namebrand!
I second the quality seals. I have had twin chambers on my bikes lately and they seem to go through fork seals. I was replacing them with cheap kits and they didn't last at all. I ended up buying some Honda OEM seals and so far, they seemn a lot better.
racinstation
Fantasy
2024th
8/3/2016 7:28pm
mxtech1 wrote:
A few items that are not must-have's but make the job 100X easier. 1) A precision fluid beaker or large agriculture-type syringe that has increments of...
A few items that are not must-have's but make the job 100X easier.

1) A precision fluid beaker or large agriculture-type syringe that has increments of 5cc

2) Fork tube scrub brush for cleaning the fork tubes
https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-FTB-1-Frame-Brush/dp/B000YBAKVO

3) Fork seal bullets eliminate the chance of damaging new seals.
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/category/fork_seal_bullets/

Lots & lots of brake cleaner!!

I have many Tusk tools and I have never had one fail.
This.
BobPA
8/3/2016 7:38pm
DuroTools wrote:
I would say seal driver is #1 tool to have, I've done the ABS pipe thing cut in half and it doesn't have the same weight...
This. A seal driver is a must.

Buy SKF or NOK (parts unlimited or OEM) seals. All balls, moose, or leak proof are junk

Post a reply to: Fork rebuild tools

The Latest