Flywheel weight Q

JW381
Edited Date/Time 4/23/2014 1:10pm
Does adding a flywheel weight have any effect on the longevity of the motor? My first thought was that it could maybe add a little life since the crank would have a little more inertia, possibly taking some of the load off? Looking to get one regardless, just wondering. Is it plug and play, or do you mess with jetting?
|
markit
4/23/2014 8:03am
It possibly could but likely due to the motor not having to work as hard. you wont have to mess with jetting at all, happy trails!
Skerby
4/23/2014 8:07am
I think they actually reduce longevity. By adding a bunch of weight to one side of the crank, the FW weight is putting more stress on the left main bearing. There was a note in the steahly box that said something like that, I ran one for around 80 hrs in a new yz250 with no problems. A guy I know had one bust the key out of his crank after running it for around 200 hrs.
JW381
4/23/2014 1:10pm
Skerby wrote:
I think they actually reduce longevity. By adding a bunch of weight to one side of the crank, the FW weight is putting more stress on...
I think they actually reduce longevity. By adding a bunch of weight to one side of the crank, the FW weight is putting more stress on the left main bearing. There was a note in the steahly box that said something like that, I ran one for around 80 hrs in a new yz250 with no problems. A guy I know had one bust the key out of his crank after running it for around 200 hrs.
Ah, I didn't think of that. That makes sense. If and when I do get one, I'll try to keep an eye on my crank bearings and catch any problems before they turn catastrophic.

Post a reply to: Flywheel weight Q

The Latest