Factory Fatty Question

JW381
Edited Date/Time 3/26/2014 1:27pm
I currently have a nickel plated fatty and cant' stand it. Considering I don't ride very often most of my purchases after fixing up my motor have been for aesthetic purposes. I wanna ditch the nickel plated pipe and get a raw finish pipe, but I have a question.

Is there a difference in factory fatty as far as finish goes? I'm lookin on eBay and I see some that have the weld marks but look like they have a little bit of coating, but then there's others that look purely raw finish, discoloration and all. That's the look I want, just curious, because there is a price difference amongst them.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xfm…

mmmmmm

Edit: my bike is an '04 and I do know about the difference in exhaust valve mounting on the '05-'07. I have the Boyesen aftermarket piece too to fix the whole "square peg in a round hole" problem. Might not even make a difference but I figured it'd be a cheap little investment.
|
Skerby
1/31/2014 8:46pm
You could get that discolored look pretty easy with a torch. I think all the pro circuit pipes I've bought have been discoloredbaround the welds, not sure tho as it's been a while.
Either way you will lose that look after a few rides and cleanings. I prefer the color that comes from riding the most.
thumbs up on your decision though. plated pipes are for lazy people.
Benton713
2/1/2014 2:17am
I've heated them myself I don't see any diff I have both. That fmf is nice but I had three crack on my 2010 KTM 250 sx so I don't buy them to much anymore. Post what you choose.
2/1/2014 6:17am
I've always wanted one of those beauties for my bike, but I could never find one for a decent price. But the few factory pipes I have seen, are definitely different from the normal fatty pipe with the nickel plating. They look so much better, but I don't know if the performance is any better than the regular one
JW381
2/1/2014 10:13am
Thanks for the info and yeah that's true I could just wrong the tits off my bike that oughta discolor it haha

The Shop

Benton713
2/1/2014 11:17am
JW381 wrote:
Thanks for the info and yeah that's true I could just wrong the tits off my bike that oughta discolor it haha
Haha always works.
2/1/2014 10:30pm Edited Date/Time 2/1/2014 10:30pm
Wow. I followed your link and started Jonesin' for the pipe. I found one for my YZ for $203 (free shipping!) and pulled the trigger. Edit add: By the way, that's cheaper than what I paid for my nickel-plated fatty!
JW381
2/4/2014 12:47pm
Wow. I followed your link and started Jonesin' for the pipe. I found one for my YZ for $203 (free shipping!) and pulled the trigger. Edit...
Wow. I followed your link and started Jonesin' for the pipe. I found one for my YZ for $203 (free shipping!) and pulled the trigger. Edit add: By the way, that's cheaper than what I paid for my nickel-plated fatty!
Dude I pulled the trigger from the same seller yesterday Smile I seriously have wood waiting for that thing to show up.

$203 with free shipping is damn near free!!
2/4/2014 2:12pm
Wow. I followed your link and started Jonesin' for the pipe. I found one for my YZ for $203 (free shipping!) and pulled the trigger. Edit...
JW381 wrote:
Dude I pulled the trigger from the same seller yesterday :) I seriously have wood waiting for that thing to show up. $203 with free shipping...
Dude I pulled the trigger from the same seller yesterday Smile I seriously have wood waiting for that thing to show up.

$203 with free shipping is damn near free!!
Holy crap, I wish I would have known about those deals 8 months ago.
2/4/2014 2:57pm Edited Date/Time 2/4/2014 3:05pm
Hey JW, I saw your buy when I went back to see how many they had left. None now! I just got mine. I'm digging it and that is a steal of a deal. What do you think?

2/4/2014 3:05pm
Hey JW, I saw your buy when I went back to see how many they had left. None now! I just got mine. I'm digging it...
Hey JW, I saw your buy when I went back to see how many they had left. None now! I just got mine. I'm digging it and that is a steal of a deal. What do you think?

I think it looks hideous, so with that in mind please rid yourself of that pipe by sending it to my address free of chargeEvil
2/4/2014 3:07pm
I think it looks hideous, so with that in mind please rid yourself of that pipe by sending it to my address free of chargeEvil
I have a nickel-plated Fatty I'll sell you. It's in decent shape. $100 plus shipping. I even have a box now from the pipe that just came.
2/4/2014 3:20pm
I have a nickel-plated Fatty I'll sell you. It's in decent shape. $100 plus shipping. I even have a box now from the pipe that just...
I have a nickel-plated Fatty I'll sell you. It's in decent shape. $100 plus shipping. I even have a box now from the pipe that just came.
I actually bought a brand new nickel plated one about 8 months ago so no thanks. My pipe is still in great shape, I just really want the factory pipe but money is tight right now and I don't really need it.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
2/4/2014 4:47pm
Is it not possible to just have the chrome stripped for $50 down to bare steel?
JW381
2/4/2014 5:16pm
Hey JW, I saw your buy when I went back to see how many they had left. None now! I just got mine. I'm digging it...

Nice man! Glad I could help some fellow vitards out by posting that link! I guess I just looked at the right time, I've been contemplating it for months now, just didn't wanna pay 220 plus shipping. Every dolla counts.
JW381
2/4/2014 5:17pm
ToolMaker wrote:
Is it not possible to just have the chrome stripped for $50 down to bare steel?
No clue, that would be a cheaper alternative for sure but there's just something special about new metal anyway so oh well.
JW381
2/4/2014 5:20pm
Say goodbye to that nickel plated nonsense! I'll keep it around for the dunes I guess haha. So WD40 and a scrub ever so often on the factory fatty to keep the rust away, right?

2/4/2014 5:32pm
Man, that's a pretty bike, JDub. Thank you for the link in order to get the pipe. And yeah, I guess it will be WD and a scrub. I had to hit mine up when I took it out of the package as it was a tad rusty.

Another thing that is interesting. It shipped today and arrived today. It originated here in Jax. I don't get it, but that's what the tracking said.
JW381
2/4/2014 5:50pm
Wow, that's lucky. I was wondering how you put that pic up so damn fast. Once that's done I want to get some cool Boyesen or Hinson covers and then do the '09+ front fender swap. I should have just done that before I got my Cycra stadium plate.

And yeah man that's cool that it worked out for two of us instead of just one. Like I said I had been thinking about it on and off for a while, just lucked into it.
2/4/2014 5:57pm
Really? That bike is purdy just as it sits!

I can't explain the shipping either. Another funny thing, it was shipped by "Tucker/Rocky." If you recall, the seller was Midwest Cycle. Some sort of dope deal going on there I guess. But the pipe was obviously brand new and not previously used. I like the fact that it is not so clean looking like the nickel-plate. If you get a little scratch on the nickel one it really shows. Plus, if you dent the nickel and reheat to pull the dent, it will be forever discolored on the formerly dented spot. Thanks again - really appreciate you looking after your Vitard bruthas.
JW381
2/4/2014 6:12pm
Really? That bike is purdy just as it sits! I can't explain the shipping either. Another funny thing, it was shipped by "Tucker/Rocky." If you recall...

I can't explain the shipping either. Another funny thing, it was shipped by "Tucker/Rocky." If you recall, the seller was Midwest Cycle. Some sort of dope deal going on there I guess. But the pipe was obviously brand new and not previously used. I like the fact that it is not so clean looking like the nickel-plate. If you get a little scratch on the nickel one it really shows. Plus, if you dent the nickel and reheat to pull the dent, it will be forever discolored on the formerly dented spot. Thanks again - really appreciate you looking after your Vitard bruthas.
Yeah and nickel plating or any kind of chrome just doesn't belong on dirtbikes. I'm not about to powder coat everything either, but I like the raw finish look. OCScottie will be proud, now he just needs to hook me up with the Adidas seat!

I took those pre-printed backgrounds off because I messed up when I ordered them and did red number outlines. So now it's just red plates and it looks like a factory practice bike, almost as trick as a factory race bike! haha
2/4/2014 7:10pm Edited Date/Time 2/4/2014 7:11pm
JW381 wrote:
Say goodbye to that nickel plated nonsense! I'll keep it around for the dunes I guess haha. So WD40 and a scrub ever so often on...
Say goodbye to that nickel plated nonsense! I'll keep it around for the dunes I guess haha. So WD40 and a scrub ever so often on the factory fatty to keep the rust away, right?

great looking cr there JW, have fun trying to keep the factory fatty from rusting! if you figure out a good solution let me know, haha
JW381
2/4/2014 10:06pm
MXVet261 wrote:
There was a great thread a while back in the Old School forum talking about stripping plated pipes and re-bluing the welds. Worth a look just...
There was a great thread a while back in the Old School forum talking about stripping plated pipes and re-bluing the welds.

Worth a look just to see the awesome looking pipes!

http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Old-School-Moto,22/PIPE-From-plated-to-wo…
That's sweet!

My girlfriend doesn't get it lol
nytsmaC
2/4/2014 10:57pm
JW381 wrote:
Say goodbye to that nickel plated nonsense! I'll keep it around for the dunes I guess haha. So WD40 and a scrub ever so often on...

great looking cr there JW, have fun trying to keep the factory fatty from rusting! if you figure out a good solution let me know, haha
It's easy, after washing the bike and it's dry spray some wd40 on the pipe and wipe it down with shop towels. Keeps raw finish pipes looking like new and it only takes a minute or two.
MXVet261
Fantasy
4078th
2/5/2014 6:56am
MXVet261 wrote:
There was a great thread a while back in the Old School forum talking about stripping plated pipes and re-bluing the welds. Worth a look just...
There was a great thread a while back in the Old School forum talking about stripping plated pipes and re-bluing the welds.

Worth a look just to see the awesome looking pipes!

http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Old-School-Moto,22/PIPE-From-plated-to-wo…
JW381 wrote:
That's sweet!

My girlfriend doesn't get it lol
You need to train her a little better.....I've gotten mine pretty far along now....

JW381
2/5/2014 8:54am
Really? That bike is purdy just as it sits! I can't explain the shipping either. Another funny thing, it was shipped by "Tucker/Rocky." If you recall...

I think that Midwest Cycle has a smart plan going over there, mine shipped today from Portland Huh My guess is they have a way to buy from whatever dealer they want at cost or something then ship it to wherever nearby.
JW381
2/5/2014 8:55am
MXVet261 wrote:
You need to train her a little better.....I've gotten mine pretty far along now.... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/02/05/44403/s1200_pipecleaner.jpg[/img]
You need to train her a little better.....I've gotten mine pretty far along now....

Maybe someday when my shop is that comprehensive. Or when I have a shop lol

She just doesn't get why I'd want to see weld marks and all the bonerific discoloration.
2/5/2014 10:13am
JW381 wrote:
I think that Midwest Cycle has a smart plan going over there, mine shipped today from Portland :huh: My guess is they have a way to...
I think that Midwest Cycle has a smart plan going over there, mine shipped today from Portland Huh My guess is they have a way to buy from whatever dealer they want at cost or something then ship it to wherever nearby.
Yep, that confirms it. Are you going to get it today?
JW381
2/5/2014 11:14am
JW381 wrote:
I think that Midwest Cycle has a smart plan going over there, mine shipped today from Portland :huh: My guess is they have a way to...
Yep, that confirms it. Are you going to get it today?
Today or tomorrow, estimate says Friday but I can't imagine something from Portland would take two full days.
JW381
2/5/2014 11:17am
nytsmaC wrote:
It's easy, after washing the bike and it's dry spray some wd40 on the pipe and wipe it down with shop towels. Keeps raw finish pipes...
It's easy, after washing the bike and it's dry spray some wd40 on the pipe and wipe it down with shop towels. Keeps raw finish pipes looking like new and it only takes a minute or two.
Thanks mate. If you still have that rotor next month when I get paid I'll probably snag it from you, sounds too good to pass up. I just busted a wad on this gem so I should probably wait before I blow another.

Post a reply to: Factory Fatty Question

The Latest