Electric Impact Wrench

Paw Paw 271
5/2/2016 6:30am
I have a craftsman that has been used for over 15 years now. I use it on a lot of different things around the house and farm. It is a bit much for most bike stuff, but can be used with care.
You may want to look at a rechargeable battery powered unit as they would be better suited for bikes.

Paw Paw
mb
5/2/2016 7:25am
I use the corded Chicago Electric one from Harbor Freight. I only use it to do the base bolts on open chamber forks, it's great for light stuff I don't feel like firing up the compressor for.
Tracktor
5/2/2016 11:40am
I have two 3/8" drive Dewalts a 14.4 & an 18 volt. Both work great and have enough power for just about any MX task. Probably on one my favorite tools. I also have a 1/2" drive but almost never use it. I chose Dewalt as I already had a bunch of tools & batteries..............

The Shop

BAMX
5/2/2016 3:19pm
Snap-on. A little more $$$, but good warranty and service.
I would not get a Snap On. They make some great tools but their cordless stuff is average at best. Their stuff will work OK but they have a crappy warranty and are easily twice as expensive as anyone else. Plus, their cordless tools tend to be a few steps behind everyone else when it comes to battery technology. Personally, I like either a cheap corded unit like this or a Bosch cordless like this
racinstation
Fantasy
1921st
5/2/2016 3:40pm
I have had really good luck and a lot of the Snap-on deal depends on your driver. I have had mine take excellent care of us on warranty on all products. I don't work for them, so I don't care what people buy, just saying that we have had good luck with them.
stevo450
5/2/2016 5:00pm
Just another cordless option ( I know you asked about corded but the mobility of cordless is awesome so I'd recommend checking them out as well )... Because IMO cordless impact wrenches are invaluable, since owning mine I have saved so much time and it's practical as anything.

I use a Milwaukee set and very happy with their product! Full charge last me a LONG time.... I have the in-hex smaller wrench ( sorry don't have details handy about performance/power out put ). This allows me to attach any socket from 1/4-3/8-1/2 although I might add that you should get impact sockets or use 6pt sockets.... I'll get a picture of my setup later.
captmoto
5/2/2016 8:22pm
I have a craftsman that has been used for over 15 years now. I use it on a lot of different things around the house and...
I have a craftsman that has been used for over 15 years now. I use it on a lot of different things around the house and farm. It is a bit much for most bike stuff, but can be used with care.
You may want to look at a rechargeable battery powered unit as they would be better suited for bikes.

Paw Paw
Yeah, 20 plus years on my Craftsman. I use mine for lugnuts, CS and magneto nuts and I used it to drive lag screws in a rim joist when I built my patio cover. It is still one of the best tools I ever bought.
Having said that, I don't know if the quality is there in todays product. Craftsman seems to have shit the bed lately on their tools.
5/3/2016 10:09pm
Dewalt 1/2 electric is bulletproof and the trigger is proportional so you can go slow or fast. Mine is 10 years old and never missed a beat, awesome for suspension, clutch hub removal ,etc. Quality tool for the price.
Tpog496
5/4/2016 8:43am Edited Date/Time 5/4/2016 9:08am
BAMX wrote:
I would not get a Snap On. They make some great tools but their cordless stuff is average at best. Their stuff will work OK but...
I would not get a Snap On. They make some great tools but their cordless stuff is average at best. Their stuff will work OK but they have a crappy warranty and are easily twice as expensive as anyone else. Plus, their cordless tools tend to be a few steps behind everyone else when it comes to battery technology. Personally, I like either a cheap corded unit like this or a Bosch cordless like this
The snap-on one is a bit more money but it has over 3 times more torque and the battery warranty is twice as long as the bosch one you pointed out. The batteries are lithium Ion which is not a few steps behind everyone else. Also It is made in the USA and the quality is second to none.
Dtat720
5/4/2016 9:20am
Ive had my snap on cordless 1/2 impact for 14 years now and it is just as powerful as the day i bought it. It was originally purchased to go on my 24' rollback tow rig. My driver used it to change tires on the toll back and for vehicles he picked up. The thing is amazing. Battery life is pretty good as well. No complaints at all. I refuse to buy Bosch. Garbage products. All of them. Milwakee is very good, craftsman used to be, until KMart bought them. Now they are in Ace Hardware and not the same quality.
DTHA70
5/4/2016 12:42pm
anyone talking shit on snap on electrics has probably never used them!

you get what you pay for. almost 10 years on a cordless 14.4 3/8" and a 18v 1/2 and they hold a charge like new and work as well as the day I bought them. chargers still do their job too. Did transmission R&R + Teardown with them for a few years right at the beginning, now they live a luxurious life working on my house and some bikes. If they ever need replacing, it'll be snap on again.
BAMX
5/4/2016 5:51pm
DTHA70 wrote:
anyone talking shit on snap on electrics has probably never used them! you get what you pay for. almost 10 years on a cordless 14.4 3/8"...
anyone talking shit on snap on electrics has probably never used them!

you get what you pay for. almost 10 years on a cordless 14.4 3/8" and a 18v 1/2 and they hold a charge like new and work as well as the day I bought them. chargers still do their job too. Did transmission R&R + Teardown with them for a few years right at the beginning, now they live a luxurious life working on my house and some bikes. If they ever need replacing, it'll be snap on again.
Trust me, everyone here loves their Snap On tools. Between the three of us, there is easily 200k worth of it in the shop. That being said, there isn't much love for their cordless stuff other than the new mini impact, which is really handy especially for breaking down bikes. We have all had the exact opposite experience. The batteries died soon after warranty and they are expensive to replace. Presently, the shop is outfitted with Milwaukee stuff and it is going strong. So is the Bosch cordless that I suggested. It is somewhere around 4 years old now and still works great. I do like that they are making Snap On impacts in America assuming that they really are. The Snap On mini impact that we have doesn't say on the tool but the battery says Made in Taiwan.

Post a reply to: Electric Impact Wrench

The Latest