EVS WEB PRO - FYI tighten screw

Edited Date/Time 8/14/2015 6:44am
Hey guys. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up to tighten and thread lock the screw holding the knee cap protector to the lower portion of the brace on your EVS WEB Pros. I just got a pair last month and after trying them on I did a range of motion test and when I took them off I noticed the screw fell out. Upon further inspection the threads were stripped out of the insert in the lower potion of the brace, I found the screw in my boot the next day and after looking at it closer I could see how easy it would strip out if it wasn't tight.

I'm not trying to Bash EVS, but I was not able to get support in a timely manner dealing directly with them. But lucky for me I have a really helpful parts guy at my local dealer that took care of getting me hooked up with a set of POD K8's to replace the Web Pros while we were waiting to get parts shipped from EVS so we can return them, becuase after week or so of trying to get a response EVS eventually said they would send a replacement part, so EVS is taking care of the issue, and I did not ever use the Braces when riding so please do not take my review as a negative based on function, I only went with the POD K8's based on the way the knee cap protector was attached and because I could get a set right away, I am not sure what brand is better, just figured after the issue I would try the POD's.

So again, not trying to bash EVS, they have a lot of good products that I use, but after this issue with the WEB PRO's I just wanted to share my experience with everyone else so they can tighten the screws and use thread lock to prevent them from coming loose and stripping out. I tried reaching out to EVS for suggestions on making this part better with no response.

If I wasn't lucky enough to have a good dealer and great parts guy help me out getting a different set, I would have just drilled thru the brace and used a rivet to fix the issue and prevent it from happening again if I was stuck with them.

I couldn't leave feedback on the review when I tried to submit it so I took a screen shot of what I tried to leave...

|
ncfroc
7/27/2015 7:47pm
I have the same exact problem. I've only worn the braces a 5 times (upgrade from old RS8s) and no crashes on the new braces (*crossing fingers*). I thought I had a rock in my boot and it turned out to be the screw holding the knee cap. When I tried to reattach, I then noticed that the carbon fiber lower brace frame, which the knee cap screws into, was completely stripped.

I'll give EVS a call tomorrow. I used to have RS8's and also wear their neck brace. While it takes a while to ship from CA, they have always provided great support on the products. I'll try them before trying other repairs.

Did you have any issues with the replacement? Did they send a new lower brace frame?

7/29/2015 11:56am
ncfroc wrote:
I have the same exact problem. I've only worn the braces a 5 times (upgrade from old RS8s) and no crashes on the new braces (*crossing...
I have the same exact problem. I've only worn the braces a 5 times (upgrade from old RS8s) and no crashes on the new braces (*crossing fingers*). I thought I had a rock in my boot and it turned out to be the screw holding the knee cap. When I tried to reattach, I then noticed that the carbon fiber lower brace frame, which the knee cap screws into, was completely stripped.

I'll give EVS a call tomorrow. I used to have RS8's and also wear their neck brace. While it takes a while to ship from CA, they have always provided great support on the products. I'll try them before trying other repairs.

Did you have any issues with the replacement? Did they send a new lower brace frame?

Because they were new and never used my parts guy offered to just get me a pair of POD K8's to even trade, and he would let his supplier deal with the replacement parts issue.

I tried to get a hold of EVS before that but had no response and bad luck with trying to let them know the issue, they kept offering to send me a new screw, and I just got frustrated after the 5th try so I told my dealer about it and he hooked me up so I could have something when the track opened.
ncfroc
7/29/2015 12:01pm
Thanks for the reply.

I'm currently waiting for the "new screw" fix. It's apparently a known issue and the screw is "larger". They said to try that first and then if that doesn't work to send in the bracket or brace for fixing.
7/29/2015 2:34pm
ncfroc wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I'm currently waiting for the "new screw" fix. It's apparently a known issue and the screw is "larger". They said to try...
Thanks for the reply.

I'm currently waiting for the "new screw" fix. It's apparently a known issue and the screw is "larger". They said to try that first and then if that doesn't work to send in the bracket or brace for fixing.
No prob. Sounds like you got better support than I did, but a larger screw won't solve the issue if it was like my problem, unless they send a standard tap to start and a bottoming tap to finish a re thread, and go a full thread size up I doubt it will solve the issue.

If I had to keep mine I would have drilled thru the brace and used a rivet, it might not look the best but it wouldn't back out like a screw.

Either way, good luck man.

The Shop

ncfroc
8/14/2015 6:44am Edited Date/Time 8/14/2015 6:45am
The wider screw didn't work at all. It popped right out.

I was able to secure the cap to the brace with a rivet (no drilling required) and that seems to be holding very good. It's not easily removable but I don't really care about that.

I'll call EVS back and see what they want to do. I suspect that I'll have to send the brace in so I'll probably wait until the season is over for that.

Post a reply to: EVS WEB PRO - FYI tighten screw

The Latest