Dont forget to stuff rags

gharmon
Edited Date/Time 4/25/2016 1:04pm
into the engine when putting it back together!! I have pretty much always dealt with Honda's but was helping my nephew out but doing a crank kit on his bike. Well without a manual and a few questions on here I was able to get it all back together (bottom end wise).

Being in a hurry I was installing the last wrist pin clip and the thing fell into the motor. Well, on Honda's that's not such a problem. The can only go into the crank area. I know you should always stuff rags/towels into the crank area for this very reason but I have never been unable to retrieve a clip from a Honda. On the Yamaha the damn clip can fall into the tranny area. I have shaken that thing like crazy upside down and all but I still cant get it to fall out.

So, now I have to recrack the engine cases to make sure it's not in there. I'm 95% sure it fell in there but that 5% that it might have slid out and hit the floor is too much to not know for sure. Anyone else ever done something stupid like this?

Moral of the story. Never get in too big a hurry and cover your basics!! Lesson learned I guess!!
|
scooter5002
4/25/2016 9:28am
Rags, and I always "trap" the circlip with my thumb, once installing, so it won't launch itself. However, if you drop it before it's under load, and just putting it in place to install, that's another deal. Sucks, but a teardown is the only way to be sure. Good luck. Hope you find it inside, so then you won't be mad it wasn't, but split cases anyway.
gharmon
4/25/2016 9:33am
Rags, and I always "trap" the circlip with my thumb, once installing, so it won't launch itself. However, if you drop it before it's under load...
Rags, and I always "trap" the circlip with my thumb, once installing, so it won't launch itself. However, if you drop it before it's under load, and just putting it in place to install, that's another deal. Sucks, but a teardown is the only way to be sure. Good luck. Hope you find it inside, so then you won't be mad it wasn't, but split cases anyway.
Yep scooter I've had them shoot across the room also. But this time I was just trying to set it in there before I applied pressure and it just slipped away ever so easily down in to the case. I was like hell I'll but work it out. Then I say the big ass gaping hole headed into the tranny and I was like "fuck you're an idiot Gerald". lol oh well. better luck next time.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
4/25/2016 10:05am
Try fishing around with a magnet? Might get lucky.
gharmon
4/25/2016 11:22am
FGR01 wrote:
Try fishing around with a magnet? Might get lucky.
Shit that's the first thing I tried. I have the cases split and the crank out. Tranny still in. I have held this thing upside down and shaken it, rotated the tranny assembly. I have not seen, heard or have it bind up on me. Would yall assume the circlip isn't in there?

Got a couple questions.
1st Does Yamaha (04 YZF250) have set screws holding the shift fork rods to them? On Honda all you do is remove the rods (they slide out fairly easy) and slide the forks to the side and the shift drum comes out. Then you can remove the shift forks and then the tranny. It looks like set screws holding them there. I've tried a 1.5 and 2mm and cant get anything to move.

2nd Is a circlip something that can be reused? Obviously if I can't find this one I'm done a circlip. I have never tried or even asked about it cause they always come with new ones. Probably gonna get grilled for even asked that but the nephew is bitching about wanting the bike.

Thanks guys

The Shop

RNagy052
4/25/2016 1:04pm
gharmon wrote:
Shit that's the first thing I tried. I have the cases split and the crank out. Tranny still in. I have held this thing upside down...
Shit that's the first thing I tried. I have the cases split and the crank out. Tranny still in. I have held this thing upside down and shaken it, rotated the tranny assembly. I have not seen, heard or have it bind up on me. Would yall assume the circlip isn't in there?

Got a couple questions.
1st Does Yamaha (04 YZF250) have set screws holding the shift fork rods to them? On Honda all you do is remove the rods (they slide out fairly easy) and slide the forks to the side and the shift drum comes out. Then you can remove the shift forks and then the tranny. It looks like set screws holding them there. I've tried a 1.5 and 2mm and cant get anything to move.

2nd Is a circlip something that can be reused? Obviously if I can't find this one I'm done a circlip. I have never tried or even asked about it cause they always come with new ones. Probably gonna get grilled for even asked that but the nephew is bitching about wanting the bike.

Thanks guys
Don't do it. If that circlip is still in there, when you fire it up it can start pinging around in there between the crank and the bottom of the piston. It will eat the metal from the bottom of the piston causing the wrist pin to get pulled right out of the piston. The piston will then disconnect from the rod and make contact with the head and bend one or more valves and possible ruin the the head.

Been there, done that on an 09 YZ250F, I thought mine was no longer in there too, very expensive mistake.

Post a reply to: Dont forget to stuff rags

The Latest