Don't buy this Dirt Bike Carrier for your hitch!

enketchum
Edited Date/Time 4/11/2016 8:07am
We picked this up this morning at their warehouse in Pomona. I put it together from the one diagram and then loaded the bike onto it. My wife's quad and my bike won't fit in the bed unless I potentially smash up the bed edge of the brand new truck. This was 'rated' at 1000 pounds. It is a great design but poorly constructed. I assume they ripped off an American brand and made it in China. The nut that is used to hold the pinch bolt on the bottom of the main beam broke off and it and the neat hand screw is somewhere on the freeway. It's not littering if you don't know where it broke off, right?

We drove it from my dad's house to Chaparral, about 20 miles. I noticed it rocking more from side to side when we got gas. Then in the Chaparral parking lot I went to tighten the hand screw and it was gone. So we limped it home and my dad will be returning it to the warehouse for a full refund. We already spoke to them and they were happy to schedule a drop off. Place is only open from 9-5 on weekdays and we both work teacher hours far away.

We bought it from T-Motorsports but I have found it sold elsewhere, as well.

It's a great design and would work well if it were more than just tack welded together. I thought about stripping the shitty paint and welding it up nice but we decided to look into trailers instead due our future camping desires.

it can be found here, BUT DON'T BUY IT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000-LB-Motorcycle-Dirt-Bike-Hitch-Carrier-Haul…

The piece that came off sits under the unit and screws up into the main beam to keep the cross platform from rocking side to side. It worked great when it was tight....

It's actually still intact in this picture. Maybe it's some place between the Shell and Chaparral....

|
enketchum
4/9/2016 12:02am Edited Date/Time 4/9/2016 12:03am

Interesting back up view, though
that tuning dent isn't as bad as it looks

Huevos
4/10/2016 7:20pm
Are there any hitch haulers that anyone on here would recommend? Hoping to not have to spend $400 on one, but at the same time I don't want to deal with the same crap enketchum did.
usafwx
4/10/2016 8:58pm
You trusted your bike to be hauled with something you bought on fleabay? Dry

The Shop

IceMan446
4/10/2016 11:31pm
You get what you pay for.

Spend the money and get a moto tote.
mxb2
4/11/2016 6:00am
IceMan446 wrote:
You get what you pay for.

Spend the money and get a moto tote.
Exactly, buy junk,get junk.
Paw Paw 271
4/11/2016 8:07am
The best are custom made for your application. I made 2 for my bikes and have had no problems at all. I incorporated a bike shoe in them and made adjustable bumper arms to eliminated the rocking of the bike. They ride solid as a rock. I have used them for several years now. They are a bit heavy as they are made of steel.

Paw Paw

Post a reply to: Don't buy this Dirt Bike Carrier for your hitch!

The Latest