Did I buy the wrong brake pads?

swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3811th
Edited Date/Time 3/31/2015 12:30pm
Last month, BTOSports was offering a buy a pair of Galfer HH / Sintered front brake pads and get a rear pair for free. They didn't advertise which kind of rear brake pad they were offering, but I figured that I couldn't go wrong going with Galfer. I opened the box and the rears were their Semi-Metallic pad, which was fine as it's not the best but not the worst pads.

Well I installed them before a race last weekend and while they performed as advertised, they did not last. After a 2 hour race in conditions that I would consider to be ideal for pad life (no sand, no mud and not super hot) the pad closest to the caliper was gone completely, with the opposite pad on it's last leg too.

No the rear brakes never squeaked nor did I ever feel a loss of pedal pressure.

Damage done. My rotor should probably be replaced.

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with these types of pads, and how much life are you getting out of them? I would contact Galfer directly but they are closed til April 3rd.
|
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
3/30/2015 7:10pm
Dude..... if you didn't buy

Then this will happen to you...

tomm55x
3/31/2015 5:00am
I bought the same deal but have not put the rear pads on, pretty much have them for extras, my stock yamaha pads have held up great.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
3/31/2015 7:54am
Damn that's a crazy amount of wear for 1 race. It's kind of odd that one side wore so much more than the other. Perhaps your caliper is binding on the floating pins?

The Shop

mxtech1
3/31/2015 10:14am
Something is causing the caliper to hang up and drag the pads on the rotor. You may need to rebuild the caliper.
Sixeightone
3/31/2015 11:56am Edited Date/Time 3/31/2015 12:00pm
Stop dragging your back brake you silly woods rider Wink I'd say there is a fair amount of rear brake dragging going on there. I work at a ktm dealer and lots of woods riders burn through a set of pads during a 2 hour hair scramble. We sell the SRT brand pads that are 15.99 and they last just as long if not longer than any ebc or ktm replacement pad. I ride moto with the same bike as you same brake caliper and all. I have 35 hours on my brake pads and they are still in very good shape. Moral of the story is that it is common practice to drag the back brake to steer the bike as a woods rider. Do yourself a favor and get a solid rear rotor!
swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3811th
3/31/2015 12:30pm
Stop dragging your back brake you silly woods rider ;) I'd say there is a fair amount of rear brake dragging going on there. I work...
Stop dragging your back brake you silly woods rider Wink I'd say there is a fair amount of rear brake dragging going on there. I work at a ktm dealer and lots of woods riders burn through a set of pads during a 2 hour hair scramble. We sell the SRT brand pads that are 15.99 and they last just as long if not longer than any ebc or ktm replacement pad. I ride moto with the same bike as you same brake caliper and all. I have 35 hours on my brake pads and they are still in very good shape. Moral of the story is that it is common practice to drag the back brake to steer the bike as a woods rider. Do yourself a favor and get a solid rear rotor!
I have raced 12 years in the woods and have never gone through a set of brake pads in 2 hours. I can normally get 3-4 races out of a set of rear pads then use them as back-ups incase something happens.

The caliper is fine, no issues there. The wear is slightly inconsistent which would mean it was possibly binding on the pin.

I know it's common in some riders, but I never had an issue this bad.

Post a reply to: Did I buy the wrong brake pads?

The Latest