CR 125 build

1/20/2017 9:55am
Ti-spring has arrived! Man they are nice. And expensiveDry

Got the rear shock assembled, mounted and torqued to spec with loctite! It's a tight fit against the tank, if it rubs when I ride I'll mod the tank. Also changed the sticker on the shock.
Got a package today I'm hoping its my rear caliper, testfit and if it fits, I'll do some mods to it.

Rims and spokes ordered, gold on backorder from excel so it will be a few weeks before it arrives..

It's a love hate thing to wait for parts a few weeks and then get 2hrs work on it, then waitGrinning

1/23/2017 12:26pm
Rear caliper gets picked up tomorrow from the post office!

Gonna testfit after my xray on my knee that still doesn't work properly after 1 year, going home from work now.. .

If it fits, I'll ship the caliper out for cerakote and I also got the Ti-banjo/sliding pins/bleeders lying for it.
Then I'll ship the caliper piston for dlc also, after some mods.

Also ordered honda oem clutch lever, throttle housing and a crf -16 front master cylinder!
Got all the Ti-hardware for it lying.
Together with a 280mm disc and a motostuff caliper this thing is gonna stop.. Cool
1/24/2017 7:12am
One step backwards today.

Caliper from 2002-up doesn't bolt straight on.

I'm gonna think tonight if I'm gonna remove the swingarm and relocate the bracket for the caliper carrier. I need to move it down and to the front.

And one more go to the powdercoater.. Grinning

Oem caliper is toast, the bracket is toast and new ones are unavailable for a 2001.

Got all the parts mocked up and ready if I decide to go this route (most definitely) but we will see.
It's an "easy" fix.. cut off bracket from swingarm, relocate approx 17mm down and forward, then assemble hub/disc/caliper to check for clearances, and straight to powdercoater.

I will also cut off all the tabs for disc and caliper covers, don't need that..

Opinions please!

1/24/2017 9:59am Edited Date/Time 1/24/2017 10:02am
I went back, said fuck it and got to work.

Fits awesome now both max out and in! Will try to get it welded tomorrow, and then powdercoat again, bah.

Also cut off the disc cover tabs and installed a titanium dlc coated sliding pin on the hanger Smile
Don't sure about cutting off the brackets for the caliper, or if I keep it with an carbon cover.

The Shop

1/25/2017 8:17am
I don't weld aluminum often enough to get it good looking.. no worse than oem though.
Ready for new powdercoat..

Slosh 112
1/27/2017 4:15am
Looks good! Cut those tabs off! I did on mine and it cleaned up the look of the whole rear disc assembly. I've never seen anything other than heavy billet disc guards do anything in the way of protection any way.
billyslad
1/28/2017 12:56am
Guys, want your opinion regarding this. It's impossible (I think) to make this without wrinkles.. but it would work keeping the fuel a little colder? What's...
Guys, want your opinion regarding this.

It's impossible (I think) to make this without wrinkles.. but it would work keeping the fuel a little colder?

What's your thoughts?
Easy to remove..

Thinking of doing this with a tank of mine where did you source the gold insulator from
1/28/2017 4:07am
Actually ebay I think Grinning

Did some fitment grinding , and drilled a hole so I don't need to remove the frame protection to switch silencer..

I want parts for this bike, I'm getting pretty exited to ride this thing..

2/17/2017 6:15am
So i have been away working, and doing some of this in spain the last weeks..
(Video)
http://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10209333780598463&id=1141665…

Had some parts lying when I got home.

Although I have no clue why I decided to order a 2001 clutch lever and bracket. No quick adjuster and my titanium doesn't fit, ordered the 2007 one so I guess I'll have a spare in the future, not that I'm gonna wreck this one Whistling

But everything else is good and assembled with Titanium and loctite. also bought the rubber over brake lever, forgot that one also..

Rims still haven't gotten here, can't wait to get some wheels on this one!

Pretty much 1 year since I bought the bike, Hopefully it doesn't take 1 more year to get it finished, but who knows..

2/24/2017 8:51am
After some calls and thinking, a Swedish guy is gonna build my engine. Ship it to USA and back is too much hassle..

Started prepping the cases today.
Working on getting ALL bolts for the engine ordered in Titanium. Then need to fix some gaskets, bearings etc and then I'll drive it down to him so he can work some magic on it.

Got the cylinder looking good but the cases got some corrosion, most of it won't be seen when assembled, but we'll see if I do anything else to it, what do you think?

Power valves cleaned also.
The engine builder dont want a time-frame and we have basically said it's done when it's done.

OH, and my rims gets here next week hopefully..Cool
roofmc79
2/25/2017 5:29am
This build is incredible. Definitely the nicest one Ive seen. Do you know how much it weighs? I started my 02 CR125 build, bike in pieces, ordered a crap load of parts, powdercoated frame and swing arm but now just got my hands on a 07 CR125 lol. Decisions decisions lol
roofmc79
2/25/2017 5:30am
Or how much its gonna weigh I should say ?
2/25/2017 6:45am
roofmc79 wrote:
Or how much its gonna weigh I should say ?
Thanks for the kind words!
Weight wise, I have no clue on what it will be, let's just say I've got a number I want to hit WhistlingSmile
2/25/2017 3:30pm
Interesting build! A bit of a Frankenstein build, but in a good way.. an interesting collection of different parts. I have always heard the 1999 CR125 cylinders make for the best power.

The marks on your frame rails are from the ridge on the back side of the shrouds. As soon as I noticed this starting on my 2001 CR250, I covered the ridges with a thin split rubber hose to protect the frame. Too bad the new shrouds are smaller and expose those marks. Since you powder coated the frame, I would have filled in those marks with epoxy and sanded smooth and then powder coated the frame. With all the effort and money you are putting onto this build, worth considering.

I will follow what you do with the late model rear brake master cylinder with the built-in reservoir. I looked into this for my 2001, but gave up when I saw it needed too much modification to make it work.

mike
2/26/2017 1:29am
Interesting build! A bit of a Frankenstein build, but in a good way.. an interesting collection of different parts. I have always heard the 1999 CR125...
Interesting build! A bit of a Frankenstein build, but in a good way.. an interesting collection of different parts. I have always heard the 1999 CR125 cylinders make for the best power.

The marks on your frame rails are from the ridge on the back side of the shrouds. As soon as I noticed this starting on my 2001 CR250, I covered the ridges with a thin split rubber hose to protect the frame. Too bad the new shrouds are smaller and expose those marks. Since you powder coated the frame, I would have filled in those marks with epoxy and sanded smooth and then powder coated the frame. With all the effort and money you are putting onto this build, worth considering.

I will follow what you do with the late model rear brake master cylinder with the built-in reservoir. I looked into this for my 2001, but gave up when I saw it needed too much modification to make it work.

mike
Thank you, yeah it's a nice frankenstein build Grinning

Regarding the marks in the frame, I'll keep it like this, if I find a REAL nice 2001 cr frame, I'll switch over all the parts and run a non-painted frame, but that is a 2.0 version, if it ever gets there.

Still got some headache over the rear caliper master, but we'll see when I get there Smile I'll keep you all updated!

I was anxious to see if the finish on the engine was good enough for the bike, so I tossed it in there as mockup. Looks better onow pictures, but I guess it's dirty soon anyways KissingLaughing

Most of the "oxidated" parts of the cases won't be seen, so I think I settle for this finish, but maybe I change my mind later.

Fun fact: these small bore 2-strokes are so easy to work on! I have forgotten since it was almost 10 years I did it last, and the engine dropped into place so much easier than on my 4-strokes, it's like the frames were made with better tolerances back then.

Enjoy, I do at least Whistling

2/26/2017 2:15am
She is looking good! The cases will clean up easily like new with WD40 and a red 3M pad. I would use the Olin's front forks with Kashima coating to match the shock. I like the gold heat shield. I did the same with the carbon fiber fuel tank on my CRF450 and it made a difference with the big 4 stroke which runs hot and cylinder head practically touches the fuel tank.. not so sure it will make a difference with the little 2 stroke, but a nice touch. Did you consider making it 144cc? On the frame.. all old frames will have those marks to some extent, just maybe less noticable. It is the different year shrouds that expose it more. I am working on sprucing up the stock rear master cylinder since no one makes a red anodized brake clevis for this model year.. I added a red anodized fitting on the brake line and red anodized banjo bolt, and now working adapting a red anodized brake clevis made for another model.

Good luck!
2/26/2017 8:26am
It's so awesome seeing a bike come together on a stand just with a rough mockup.
Badd127
Fantasy
2195th
3/1/2017 1:47pm
Where in Sweden did you buy the scotchbrite stuff? I do also want to give my engines some factory look Wink
Swedol also sell scotchbrite pads.
Badd127
Fantasy
2195th
3/1/2017 2:32pm
Got my hubs today:woohoo: Need to order ceramic bearings, and see if I can get the distances dlc coated.. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/06/10/138527/s1200_20160610_131604.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/06/10/138528/s1200_20160610_131659.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/06/10/138529/s1200_20160610_131621.jpg[/img]
Got my hubs todayWoohoo

Need to order ceramic bearings, and see if I can get the distances dlc coated..

If you don't mind me asking, approximately how much did it cost to send your hubs to TCR, have the work done? Did they machine the hubs before coating them?
Also, did you have to pay import duty to get your own parts sent back to you? Or how does it work to send stuff out of the EU for work?

Would love to see this bike in person one day.
3/2/2017 10:10pm
Badd127 wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, approximately how much did it cost to send your hubs to TCR, have the work done? Did they machine the...
If you don't mind me asking, approximately how much did it cost to send your hubs to TCR, have the work done? Did they machine the hubs before coating them?
Also, did you have to pay import duty to get your own parts sent back to you? Or how does it work to send stuff out of the EU for work?

Would love to see this bike in person one day.
Don't remember exactly price, but somewhere around 300$ maybe.

Yeah they machined them Smile
I paid import duty, but if you read on some, you could probably get around it. I don't knowLaughing

If you ever come to Karlstad, hit me up! Smile
3/4/2017 3:22am
Got the "correct" (for me) clutch lever mounted.

Also got my caliper back from Ceracote and assembled.

For those of you that may have missed out, rear caliper:

Ceracote 2007 caliper and bracket
Disc/caliper guard tabs removed
Dlc coated oem piston
Dlc coated titanium sliding pins
Dlc coated titanium brake pads sliding pin
Titanium bleeder
Woohoo

3/13/2017 2:00am
TKL965 wrote:
Updates?
Leaving this Wednesday for 10 days of riding in Spain and driving my rv back home (3000km)

Then I need to prep my 250F for race season, and a few customer bikes need prepping also, then it's race season.. So it will be going slower here...

rims are home when I get back, and also all titanium-hardware for the complete engine, then I need to order some engine-parts and get the engine down to the builder. Nothing much gonna happen during the summer I'm guessing.

Still need to find an decent öhlins fork to use for this bike.
3/31/2017 6:56am
Got the rims, and the wrong spokes.. man these wheels have been so much hassle.

Getting the spokes fixed next week at least. Otherwise kind of slow here..

4/6/2017 4:09am
Finally!!

Now I need to take care of a small issue with one of the rear bearings, it's too tight.. then I can get a rear tire on and bolt it on!

Bought bigger aluminum nipples and stainless spokes. I scratched a few on the front tough,maybe I change them, we shall see.

So, I'm in need of tire-stickers now! Who got some? Have not yet decided tires either.

Sprocket torqued with titanium bolts, loctite, and locknuts!

Yes, I know that the rim is on backwards Wink too anxious to care when I mocked it up! Grinning

Post a reply to: CR 125 build

The Latest