CR 125 build

Brosho
2/21/2016 7:47pm
Powdercoater ready :woohoo: Other frame is a friends I help out, -14 crf 450 Putting his motor in tomorrow :) [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/02/19/124632/s1200_20160219_160419.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/02/19/124633/s1200_20160219_183752.jpg[/img] They didn't blast the...
Powdercoater ready Woohoo
Other frame is a friends I help out, -14 crf 450
Putting his motor in tomorrow Smile

They didn't blast the inside of the hub, so I'll have to clean them somehow..

Excuse the mess..
Now i Need some bearings, and a titanium bolt order and start piecing parts together Whistling need to write down some sizes.
Thats weird, my 01 CR125 frame has those same scars/scratches on it, I wonder what caused those scratches and why in the same spot?

What exactly is a SRS Head? was that an optional part over the stock head?

Have you seen someone else use a 07 air boot on an 01 already? and if so why?
I was told the main problem with the 01 lacking power is the fact it has a hard time getting enough air to the carb. Is that why you are changing to the 07?

Also what is an "Abusive Clutch" ?
slipdog
2/21/2016 8:09pm
Brosho wrote:
Thats weird, my 01 CR125 frame has those same scars/scratches on it, I wonder what caused those scratches and why in the same spot? What exactly...
Thats weird, my 01 CR125 frame has those same scars/scratches on it, I wonder what caused those scratches and why in the same spot?

What exactly is a SRS Head? was that an optional part over the stock head?

Have you seen someone else use a 07 air boot on an 01 already? and if so why?
I was told the main problem with the 01 lacking power is the fact it has a hard time getting enough air to the carb. Is that why you are changing to the 07?

Also what is an "Abusive Clutch" ?
All aluminum frames get those scratches after time from your leg rubbing the shroud where it crosses the spar.
Brosho
2/21/2016 8:33pm
Thanks I never thought about that.
2/22/2016 2:36am
The deepest scar in the frame is probably from the plastics rubbing against the frame Smile witch happens when you hold on with your knees against the plastics Grinning

Srs is an company who make performance product, so basically a tuning head, don't know more but my engine builder will probably remake it to his liking.

Abusive clutch, some clutch that can handle alot of abuse WhistlingGrinning
Hinson or something, complete kit with basket etc etc, haven't decided on brand yet Smile

The 07 airboot does exactly what you think from my own reading/info.. should be a bolt on mod Smile

The Shop

3/4/2016 2:56pm
Going slow here, have had some awesome help from some friends while I'm (still) on crutches for my blown knee! Have remodeled the workshop and starting up a second business as an mc/mx shop and raceteam ShockedLaughing will get you pics when it's more finished.

Got my first small batch of ti-hardware. So as soon the shop is up and running, I'm getting back to this bike..

My leg atm.. got xray on tuesday and then I can finally start walking if it looks good, then I'm flying down to Spain to collect my Rv and bike and driving home, 3000km Grinning

3/4/2016 3:00pm
What supplier did you use for the ti hardware and how much did it cost you?
3/4/2016 5:25pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2016 5:25pm
What supplier did you use for the ti hardware and how much did it cost you?
Using racetech titanium with awesome customer service! Don't got an exact price on these items, 140$ or something..

The chain adjusters and bolts for the footpeg-mounts were kindof pricey for their size Laughing

But they are lightweight!! :D
3/6/2016 3:35pm
Couldn't help myself! Had to do something on the smoker.

Bolted up the rads with ti-hardware and drilled aluminum washers.

Also testfitted the subframe with the new hardware, looks awesome and I get a little aroused just by looking at it Woohoo

Don't mind the mess, remodeling as said earlier.
Need to get home from my Spain trip before I order or do more work on it now.. Smile

3/10/2016 6:15am
Radiator hoses here, don't sure on the red colour but I'll give it a try! Going to use 1 eared stainless hose clamps everywhere! Factory look, good clamps with the right tool, and probably lighter than a regular! Going to weigh it compared to a regular clamp next time Smile

4/12/2016 8:50am
Going slow here. Rehab and prepping my crf mostly.

Got linkage and swingarm bearings on order..
Ordered a 02- up airbox and see if it will fit, 01 is impossible to buy and my one are trashed.

Also some minor stuff arriving this week, left peg-mount, chain guides etc etc.

Looking for the swingarm pivot bolt and linkage to frame bolt in titanium with no luck.. need to make a new bolt order soon.

Ti-chain adjusters have been installed at least

4/17/2016 4:46am
Did some minor work today waiting on parts for both bikes!

Drilled some lightening holes in the upper engine mounts, want to make these in carbon, but this will do for now.
Also routed and test fitted the coolant hoses, just need the hose clamps.

And cleaned the workshop.
Measured and wrote a up a new ti-hardware order for the future Smile

4/17/2016 5:31am
Looking good man!

You do anything special to prep your titanium fasteners?

I was thinking about getting some race tech ti rotor bolts. I've always put loctite on steel rotor bolts. But I've read ti is more prone to seizing inside of other metals....
4/17/2016 6:41am
Thank you!

Actually, I have read the same, but since I'm going to use a highly prepped and tuned engine, I use blue loctite on most bolts, don't want anything to come loose. blue maxima grease on bolts like chain adjusters etc Smile

I tear apart the bikes fairly often (20 hrs and stripped to bare frame) so hopefully they won't seize.

But if someone is having other thoughts, please let me know, first build with Ti-hardware Whistling
stevo450
4/17/2016 7:58am
Awesome build and so darn timely!!! I'm currently stripping down my new to me '06 CR125 Smile
Seems we share some similar ideas...
Just a heads up, find yourself a good Aqua blast/Vapour blast place to get the aluminium Lookinh awesome Wink
4/17/2016 8:53am
Nice! The new style frame is good looking, but I went with this one, it was soooo cheap WhistlingLaughing

Most aluminum parts will be anodized hopefully got contacts with blast cabinets, but thanks for the tip Smile
4/21/2016 9:40am
Success!

The 02 airbox fits!
I'll have to use the 02 side panels also tough, and I don't know if the tabs fit for the mounting points, but I'm pretty sure about that.Smile

Biggest question now I'm debating, is whether im gonna drill holes in the air box or not?! does it help on these Hondas? if I do it, either 3 holes straight down at the front, or upper back corner 3 holes like a triangle, help me decide!

Package-Thursday Laughing
For both bikes..

Airbox pictures:

Need to prep my 250 first this weekend, but I also got swingarm bearings to install on this bike, we shall see what there is time for Tongue
4/24/2016 8:19am
Swingarm bearings installed!
I did put on the swingarm with the old bolt for now, until I manage to get a titanium one from somewhere..

Waiting for the linkage bearings now, and I still need to get back to work so I can buy some more ti-hardware

Main-bitch and side bitch Laughing

Apparently, the 2015- crf 250 rear axle is a straight fit, easy to buy ti-hardware there Smile

stevo450
4/24/2016 8:27am
You're tempting me with all this Ti hardware! Think I got to get me some lol...
Ti hardware and CF parts...worked motor and these bikes will fly!!!!
4/24/2016 8:33am
stevo450 wrote:
You're tempting me with all this Ti hardware! Think I got to get me some lol... Ti hardware and CF parts...worked motor and these bikes will...
You're tempting me with all this Ti hardware! Think I got to get me some lol...
Ti hardware and CF parts...worked motor and these bikes will fly!!!!
I sure hope it will do Laughing
4/30/2016 9:39am
I had wrong, the lower boltholes don't match the 01 subframe! No big deal tough, I'll just cut and weld/make a new bracket since everything else fits as oem. Smile just need to send it of to the powdercoater again, but that's good also since I need to make the weld/repair I did on it a little smoother Whistling

5/3/2016 3:21am
Got an hour for the bike last weekend.
Drilled the airbox, and cut off the old lower brackets for the sideplates. Hopefully I will get them finished this week and then off to the powdercoater again Smile

Hoping to get my carbon parts, titanium bolts and a package with misc stuff, but unsure if it gets here before the weekend.

Also sent my oem hubs to TCR to get their mag treatment :D

stevo450
5/3/2016 4:42am
How are you finding the TI bolts in terms of cost? I would like to purchase some of the larger bolts to maximise the weight benefit if I can justify the cost...
5/3/2016 4:55am Edited Date/Time 5/3/2016 4:56am
stevo450 wrote:
How are you finding the TI bolts in terms of cost? I would like to purchase some of the larger bolts to maximise the weight benefit...
How are you finding the TI bolts in terms of cost? I would like to purchase some of the larger bolts to maximise the weight benefit if I can justify the cost...
They are expensive, but I buy little every now and then.Laughing and I would have bought all bolts new anyway, so in terms of ordering oem honda bolts or these, the difference aren't huge besides the axle and pivot bolts.

I also got the "do it right/how you want or don't do it" kindof mentality with everything Whistling
This bike will never be for sale either. Grinning

Edit: the plastics will get aluminum bolts , lighter than TI I believe, but I would not trust it on anything else.

Post a reply to: CR 125 build

The Latest