Cerakote Coatings

staz51
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2021 2:55pm
G'day, am in the middle of doing a Yz450f build and am wanting to have some coating done and have come across a guy here in Adelaide that does cerakote coatings. He has said that he can do my fork tubes and hubs and was wondering if anyone has done this kind of coating before?
How does it hold up?
Any information about it would be aweseom! cheerrs
|
Slosh 112
7/25/2016 4:37am
Never heard of anyone doing their fork tubes. I was going to have a lot of parts done on my project. I went with Anodising, turned out to be cheaper and less of a stuff around with old mate. Cerakoting was designed for guns, tight tolerances and very hard wearing and exceptional corrosion resistance. I wasn't sure how it would stand upto stone chips as I didn't know anyone who's had it done to see how it lasts.
staz51
7/25/2016 4:43am
Yeah i've never really heard much about it at all, but have seen that DUBYA wheels in the US use cerakote to do their hubs and they do a really cool magnesium/ bronze colour that i like, and the fella that does in here in SA says that he'll be able to get it pretty close to that same colour on my hubs and fork tubes.

He quoted me $120 for the pair of fork tubes and $40 per hub
What do you guys reckon?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGmuW3hKJjm/

This is the colour i'm wanting
HackMan162
7/25/2016 5:40am
Not sure how the AUS dollar stands up to USD, but those prices are really good.
7/25/2016 8:42am
I would day do the hubs for sure. Don't do the fork tubes. Anodize the fork tubes if you want to change the color. Besides the finish will turn out great on the fork tubes

The Shop

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
7/25/2016 8:58am
This guy Claton can turn down your hubs and coat them for $300. Not sure if Dubya turns them? Check out his Instagram for more info and photos. I'm having him do some coatings in my calipers.

7/25/2016 9:05am
He did my primary clutch cover and water pump cover. He does good work

staz51
7/26/2016 4:26am
I would day do the hubs for sure. Don't do the fork tubes. Anodize the fork tubes if you want to change the color. Besides the...
I would day do the hubs for sure. Don't do the fork tubes. Anodize the fork tubes if you want to change the color. Besides the finish will turn out great on the fork tubes
Why do you recomend to not to the fork tubes? Will they not hold up well?
From what i've heard, anodizing will be more expensive than cerkote for the forks as the quote i was given was $120 for the pair of forks and included blasting and cleaning before the coating..
HackMan162
7/26/2016 9:27am
This guy Claton can turn down your hubs and coat them for $300. Not sure if Dubya turns them? Check out his Instagram for more info...
This guy Claton can turn down your hubs and coat them for $300. Not sure if Dubya turns them? Check out his Instagram for more info and photos. I'm having him do some coatings in my calipers.

Dubya doesn't turn them down for the $200. I dont think they offer turn down service, as John Anderson says it weakens the hubs. Supposedly there is a rant about it on Mathes' show. I havent heard it though...
adam8781
7/26/2016 11:21am
im in the middle of doing my hubs burnt bronze cerakote. i would not do the fork tubes. its a baked on ceramic coating, it adds thickness and as tough as it is anodizing is better suited for fork tubes.

i machined down my hubs (much better than that picture above this post)
ill post pics when complete.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
7/26/2016 12:58pm
He did my primary clutch cover and water pump cover. He does good work [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/07/25/144628/s1200_Screenshot_2016_07_18_20_03_25.jpg[/img]
He did my primary clutch cover and water pump cover. He does good work

What did the outer clutch cover cost you ? I was going to pull mine off and get it AKADIZED, or hard anodized black, along with the 3- power valve covers. Maybe this is an option....
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
7/26/2016 1:02pm
This guy Claton can turn down your hubs and coat them for $300. Not sure if Dubya turns them? Check out his Instagram for more info...

Joe,
Have you had your calipers done yet ? Text me some pics or post them on here. I might be interested in doing my calipers, along with my master cylinders as well. Did you take the calipers apart or did he deal with that ?
Thanks, Shaun
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
7/26/2016 2:23pm
I'm going to send out my calipers this week or next. I took them apart, much easier than I thought. Trick can take them apart and rebuild for $25ea + the seals. So just depends how much the time is worth to you ya know.
In going to have my rear master cylinder done also. He's going to weld a cap in the site glass like the factory bikes.
Think I'm going this brownish color:

langhammx
Fantasy
581st
7/26/2016 2:33pm Edited Date/Time 7/26/2016 2:40pm
I'm going to send out my calipers this week or next. I took them apart, much easier than I thought. Trick can take them apart and...
I'm going to send out my calipers this week or next. I took them apart, much easier than I thought. Trick can take them apart and rebuild for $25ea + the seals. So just depends how much the time is worth to you ya know.
In going to have my rear master cylinder done also. He's going to weld a cap in the site glass like the factory bikes.
Think I'm going this brownish color:

Those look great. Cost ? Phone # / location for them ?
I don't have Facebook.... Do they have a website ?
Thank you

EDIT- just found their site.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
7/26/2016 2:42pm Edited Date/Time 7/26/2016 2:43pm
http://trickeng.com
Clayton- 713 376 5649

$45- coat caliper
$30- coat master cylinder
$25 + rebuild kit- per rebuild
$50- cap site glass

He offers subframe lowering, radiator bracing. I saw him on Instagram, really good work. I don't know him personally. I think he does work for the RockRiver team?

langhammx
Fantasy
581st
7/26/2016 3:09pm
There is also Justin from MotoWhips http://motowhips.com/phone/index.html Pretty close to us in Chatsworth/North Ridge area. Justin does amazing work, just more expensive. Check out his site...
There is also Justin from MotoWhips
http://motowhips.com/phone/index.html

Pretty close to us in Chatsworth/North Ridge area.
Justin does amazing work, just more expensive. Check out his site if you want an easy drop off close by option!
Thanks for the info, I'm going to see what he has to say. Might go check out Motowhips, I've seen several bikes that he's done and was totally impressed.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
7/26/2016 3:28pm
There is also Justin from MotoWhips http://motowhips.com/phone/index.html Pretty close to us in Chatsworth/North Ridge area. Justin does amazing work, just more expensive. Check out his site...
There is also Justin from MotoWhips
http://motowhips.com/phone/index.html

Pretty close to us in Chatsworth/North Ridge area.
Justin does amazing work, just more expensive. Check out his site if you want an easy drop off close by option!
langhammx wrote:
Thanks for the info, I'm going to see what he has to say. Might go check out Motowhips, I've seen several bikes that he's done and...
Thanks for the info, I'm going to see what he has to say. Might go check out Motowhips, I've seen several bikes that he's done and was totally impressed.
MotoWhips coated my engine covers, welded steering stabilizer tab on headtube, skid plate tabs and powdercoat for me. I was very impressed, you will be stoked!
mxrider284
7/26/2016 7:42pm
I cerakoted my hubs and it is holding up great, cleans easily and I am not seeing any wear.

CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3719th
7/27/2016 3:16am
I've seen some of Clayton's work. He can do all sorts of stuff. He's basically a moto machine shop.
aedwards07
7/27/2016 4:54am
mxrider284 wrote:
I cerakoted my hubs and it is holding up great, cleans easily and I am not seeing any wear. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/07/26/144828/s1200_image.jpg[/img]
I cerakoted my hubs and it is holding up great, cleans easily and I am not seeing any wear.

What color is that? Looks great!
HackMan162
7/27/2016 8:23am
http://trickeng.com Clayton- 713 376 5649 $45- coat caliper $30- coat master cylinder $25 + rebuild kit- per rebuild $50- cap site glass He offers subframe lowering...
http://trickeng.com
Clayton- 713 376 5649

$45- coat caliper
$30- coat master cylinder
$25 + rebuild kit- per rebuild
$50- cap site glass

He offers subframe lowering, radiator bracing. I saw him on Instagram, really good work. I don't know him personally. I think he does work for the RockRiver team?

It's Clayton Miller, son of Tony Miller who ran the FreeStone National in Texas. Great guy, and good moto family.
mxrider284
7/27/2016 2:26pm
aedwards07 wrote:
What color is that? Looks great!
It is the burnt bronze, I would also recommend sending stuff to Clayton Miller, he takes pride in his work and it shows!
quicken
7/27/2016 8:33pm
Anybody know the process that Cerakote is applied?

I have some side covers from a RM125 I wouldn't mind having coated, but they are made out of Magnesium.....is that do-able?
7/27/2016 8:53pm
quicken wrote:
Anybody know the process that Cerakote is applied? I have some side covers from a RM125 I wouldn't mind having coated, but they are made out...

I have some side covers from a RM125 I wouldn't mind having coated, but they are made out of Magnesium.....is that do-able?
It can be applied to magnesium.
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
7/27/2016 10:21pm
quicken wrote:
Anybody know the process that Cerakote is applied? I have some side covers from a RM125 I wouldn't mind having coated, but they are made out...

Cerakote is painted on and then essentially baked to cure. It is a very popular coating in the firearm industry. I've been wondering if anyone had tried cerakote on clutch covers, cases, etc. so I was happy to see this thread.
crc245
7/29/2016 4:01pm
staz51 wrote:
Yeah i've never really heard much about it at all, but have seen that DUBYA wheels in the US use cerakote to do their hubs and...
Yeah i've never really heard much about it at all, but have seen that DUBYA wheels in the US use cerakote to do their hubs and they do a really cool magnesium/ bronze colour that i like, and the fella that does in here in SA says that he'll be able to get it pretty close to that same colour on my hubs and fork tubes.

He quoted me $120 for the pair of fork tubes and $40 per hub
What do you guys reckon?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGmuW3hKJjm/

This is the colour i'm wanting
Cerakote is a great way to go, but I'd go with a SoCal shop like AHM over Dubya; They have been doing it longer, with a faster turnaround, and with better pricing for awhile now...They'll even do it proper by turning the hubs down before coating (a la trickeng who also do stellar work) which more closely resembles a factory look. AHM also handles the brake coatings, case coatings, and any anodizing in case the cerakote isn't your preference.

BTW: Those are great prices and I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised what they can do for cerakote colors as well

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCyRe-6RV3T/?taken-by=ahmfactoryservices

http://www.ahmfactoryservices.com/
adam8781
8/2/2016 1:16pm
wont let me upload the rest, that's my stock hub, than i used files by hand, than i sand blasted it. them and ill have them done in burnt bronze soon
swatdoc
8/3/2016 2:40am
Guys also check out KG Gunkote. Developed for Navy Seals. Very durable and lots of colors. Great for bikes - a very reputable vintage bike restorer in Japan (Holly from Holly Equipement) uses Gunkote for all his engines and hubs. He specializes in very high-end restorations of Honda RC's.
The KG website also has a comparison test of Gunkote vs Cerakote

Post a reply to: Cerakote Coatings

The Latest