CRF doest track straight through rough sand track

Edited Date/Time 3/29/2016 6:39pm
My bike doesn't seem to track through rougher sand/track anymore. Ive got a nice used M403 Bridgestone on the front, MS3 on the back both at 12lbs PSI. Clickers are set at 4 clicks out per MXA recommendations.

When going through sand it seems like the bike is all over the place while I watch others just ride over/through anything.

Is this a problem with me? The bike? Bike setup? Go back to a two stroke and ditch the 450?

Any tips or tricks would be much appreciated. I love the bike on the trails but on the track it seems to be a hand full. Really considering trading it for a CR/KX/YZ250. My bike is a 09 CRF450.
|
3/26/2016 6:04pm
To many variables to really say, need more information and maybe a video so we can see exactly what your talking about. Sag, and set up might help you out.
3/26/2016 6:07pm
To many variables to really say, need more information and maybe a video so we can see exactly what your talking about. Sag, and set up...
To many variables to really say, need more information and maybe a video so we can see exactly what your talking about. Sag, and set up might help you out.
Sag is 107 and Im working on a video....my upload speed is genuinely horrible unfortunately.
mxb2
3/26/2016 6:51pm
Bike info helps, stock suspension,linkage, clamps? Assuming its sprung and revalved for you,sag set,fresh suspension. Then go from there.
3/26/2016 7:10pm
Have you adjusted the clickers or changed the sag? MXA really? The best thing you can do is educate yourself and go to the track with a plan A,B and C.

The Shop

3/26/2016 7:12pm Edited Date/Time 3/26/2016 7:36pm
Stock KYB spring forks, stock linkage, stock clamps. Forks are nearly flush in clamps(trying to get rid of stinkbug stance). yes, spring and revalved for 225lbs.

Its really an issue when going slower. Im a C rider on a track(grew up riding trails) and it just seems very sketchy.

Get the bike on a trail and it seems to be great.
3/26/2016 7:32pm
Here are some still photos from todays helmet cam. Could it just be I need new tires or I'm just too damn slow for this went sand mix?

This is the other track I ride quite often, more dirt and wood chips than sand. I have no issues at this track.
https://youtu.be/g-o6z6PveFY
mxb2
3/26/2016 7:47pm
Stock KYB spring forks, stock linkage, stock clamps. Forks are nearly flush in clamps(trying to get rid of stinkbug stance). yes, spring and revalved for 225lbs...
Stock KYB spring forks, stock linkage, stock clamps. Forks are nearly flush in clamps(trying to get rid of stinkbug stance). yes, spring and revalved for 225lbs.

Its really an issue when going slower. Im a C rider on a track(grew up riding trails) and it just seems very sketchy.

Get the bike on a trail and it seems to be great.
The 09 crf needs a rear link, pc or,fc or ride. whens the last time steering stabilizer was serviced,adjusted? Sand requires heavy throttle,keep frt end light.
3/26/2016 7:53pm
I don't think the steering stabilizer has ever been serviced..I will look into that.

I knew MXA recommended the rear link but I didnt know it was THAT important. Ill be getting ahold of one, I was almost dangerous today on this thing.
mxb2
3/26/2016 7:55pm
I don't think the steering stabilizer has ever been serviced..I will look into that. I knew MXA recommended the rear link but I didnt know it...
I don't think the steering stabilizer has ever been serviced..I will look into that.

I knew MXA recommended the rear link but I didnt know it was THAT important. Ill be getting ahold of one, I was almost dangerous today on this thing.
Yea def a rear link, get rid of the stink bug,and the stabilzer needs at least service,bikes 7 years old.
mb
3/26/2016 9:18pm
Before you go and buy anything,
Slide forks all the way down in the clamps
More fork compression clicks, I run the max on my setup now
105-115mm of sag (ballpark)
Do not slide forward to turn, stay neutral
More gripping with your lower body, weight on the rear wheel.

Here's my local sand track after a bunch of rain, it was prepped that morning so maybe not as rough as yours. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gqBnVf8PPWY

Oh yeah, step 1 is to buy a 2 stroke Wink
motosicko
3/26/2016 9:22pm
I don't think the steering stabilizer has ever been serviced..I will look into that. I knew MXA recommended the rear link but I didnt know it...

I have a FC link for that bike if you're interested. It's the 146mm. I'll post a photo of it tomorrow.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
3/26/2016 10:01pm
When you say "all over the place" is it the back end swapping left and right or the front wheel going crazy?

I generally stiffen the fork compression a few clicks for sand. Maybe the rear rebound is too fast?

Cancerman
3/26/2016 10:34pm
Tighten up the steering stem bearings as well. You have to remember that in sand, you need to "float" the front wheel at speed. You will never have that planted feel, like on harder surfaces. I've started riding these Florida sand tracks, and I'm having the same issues. I've dropped the forks in the clamps, more sag in the rear end. The main thing is to get back more on the rear, stay on the gas, and float! Easier said than done though, take practice and concentration. That Generation of CRF was known to be skittish. Rear link helps.
oldandslow1
3/27/2016 4:39am
sand is about speed, the slower you go the harder it is. just pin it!!
tuggy450
3/27/2016 6:02am
having ridden lots of sand tracks usually you will have to increase your compression on your forks somewhat. when you get off throttle the sand puts much more resistance on your front suspension. making them ride lower than they would on hard surfaces. looks fairly flat, not whooped out so shock likely is not where your problem is, but try adding some low speed compression, if you have that adjustment or high after forks get stiffened up , also possible the rebound on the forks are to slow again causing stinkbug stance/handling
yzkrazy219
3/27/2016 6:44am
Sounds like your rear shock is way to soft causing it to wallow. If it's to soft it stays riding to far down in the stroke making it feel like your bike is all over the place, you're basically using more spring than dampening and you definitely need more dampening in the sand. Try turning your compression in several clicks just so you will be able to feel a good difference and you'll know if it's better or not.
3/27/2016 7:20am
Thank you for all the quick help everyone. Ibe got some work to do. Still had a great time!

MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
3/27/2016 8:23am Edited Date/Time 3/27/2016 8:25am
Thank you for all the quick help everyone. Ibe got some work to do. Still had a great time! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/03/27/129556/s1200_image.jpg[/img]
Thank you for all the quick help everyone. Ibe got some work to do. Still had a great time!

Dude, that section of Baja is tough in general. I like to think I'm a good B rider who should have gone A 5 years ago, and I struggle with bike setup in that exact section. Once you go over "kong" or the "PowerLine table" and take that left it's deeeeeep.

As a quick and easy fix, adjust your highspeed on your shock to make the rear end ride lower in the stroke. That will make it more stable in that area. It's a delicate balance though because it takes some action away from the overall stroke and can make you pack once you hit that middle tabletop triple and jump into this sand rollers. (1/4 on the high speed nut makes a HUUUUGE \trump/ difference)

I would advocate against the steering damper revalve, it's not the issues in this case. Look into the link and talk shop with someone who gets suspension next time you're out there. My bikes should be together in a week or so..... so shoot me a text if you head out there in a couple weeks and if I'm going I'll meet up with you. It'll take 5 minutes to run that section 10 times and change some stuff on the side of the track in between runs.

989-891-7454
Meister
3/27/2016 12:55pm
Good on ya 809. Offering actual help is a rare thing to be seen these days.
3/27/2016 4:45pm
Thanks 809. This was actually at Battle Creek but I really want to do Baja as everyone says its awesome. Ill keep your number saved.
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
3/27/2016 4:56pm
Thanks 809. This was actually at Battle Creek but I really want to do Baja as everyone says its awesome. Ill keep your number saved.
Doh!

Looked like Baja at a glance! Just got your FB friend request
motosicko
3/27/2016 6:16pm

Here are pics of shock link I have. Sent you a message.

c0ncEpT
3/29/2016 9:41am Edited Date/Time 3/29/2016 9:44am
You really need to stay harder on the gas in the sand. I use to struggle really bad with the exact section Mxking809 was talking about. You just have to stay on the gas and get on the gas very early in corners or it tries to wash/dig the front end in.

That track at Battle Creek last weekend wasn't to deep but it was pretty rough. You really needed to be standing and back on the bike about 95% of the track.

Come to Baja on the 9th!
cjmx
Fantasy
1187th
3/29/2016 2:40pm
I used to have the same bike. Buy the link, it does wonders to that bike.
3/29/2016 6:39pm

motosicko wrote:
Here are pics of shock link I have. Sent you a message. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/03/27/129614/s1200_photo_1_7.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/03/27/129615/s1200_photo_2_7.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/03/27/129616/s1200_photo_3_7.jpg[/img]
Here are pics of shock link I have. Sent you a message.

Can you email me? nighbertn@gmail.com

I don't see messages on here anywhere.

Post a reply to: CRF doest track straight through rough sand track

The Latest