CRF 250 starting problem

MX Dad #27
Fantasy
279th
Edited Date/Time 12/25/2012 1:49pm
We just got a new '08 CRF 250 ran it for the first time last night, REALLY, Really hard to start. We put on an R&D float bowl(this made our '06 run better and easier to start) but other wise the motor is stock. Any ideas? My daughter is already saying "I hate that bike" and we are 2 weeks from our Lorettas qualifier. Please I'm not looking for "you should have bought a 250 2 stroke" it's not really an option for my 110# daughter. One thing that was odd, we never touch the throttle when starting but we did once and it popped and flamed out the exhaust but it did start.
|
drmarkr
4/12/2009 9:22am
Cold start routine.....do it exactly like this.

Gas on. Choke on. Slowly kick engine over 4-5 cycles without touching throttle.

Three twists of throttle to prime chamber. Hand off throttle.

Kick to start. If it blubbers and runs a couple of seconds and dies, it burned the prime out. Two twists of throttle to prime again. Hand off throttle and kick again. Should stay running this time, although I've had to repeat a third time when it's really cold out.

davis224
Fantasy
138th
4/12/2009 1:44pm
Did you run it before you put the different bowl on? Sounds like you're getting too much gas, could have to do with the aftermarket bowl. And I had an 07 CRF250, my start routine was similar to dr marks, 2 pumps of throttle, kick 5 times, if it doesn't start, 2 more pumps and repeat.

I'd put the stock bowl back on and try it then. While you have the bowl off check the needle/seat/float to make sure it's working correctly.
Slow ~ Pro
4/12/2009 2:16pm
You simply have jetting issues, maybe the slow jet is clogged. If you are not qualified, have some that is look at it. I have two 250s, that start real easy, hot, or cold.
pitbike502
4/12/2009 3:29pm
when i had trouble starting some 250fs, i would lean it waaay over and then try to start it. worked. just a quick on the go fix.

The Shop

jtomasik
4/12/2009 6:04pm
My old YZ426 was a pain in the ass to start. I trained myself to put my hand on the brake reservoir, so I wouldn't be tempted to twist the throttle while kicking the bike. It worked for that bike.

Not sure if this will help.

My routine was:

Cold--choke. No throttle. Hand on brake reservoir. Bike would light within 4-6 kicks.

Warm--No choke. No throttle. Hand on brake reservoir.

Hot (after fall) -- Hot start on. Hand on brake reservoir.

Let us know. You might have carburation problems, but I'd try staying away from the throttle, just to see if that works. Best of luck.
davis224
Fantasy
138th
4/12/2009 7:33pm
Scratch my comment about too much fuel, I misread, thought you said it didn't run, just backfired after lots of kicks. Not enough fuel. Even having owned one, I've never messed with the carb much (never had any issues) so try messing with the fuel or air screw first before digging back into it. It also wouldn't hurt pulling the plug out and seeing what it looks like.
MX Dad #27
Fantasy
279th
4/12/2009 7:48pm
I need to add some information it died during practice and she couldn't start it, it died during the race and she couldn't start it. We had another CRF 250 '06 so she has started a 4 stroke. I was also wondering if it was getting enough fuel.

jtomasik
4/12/2009 7:58pm
Just curious...did you go out to the bike tonight and try the "throttle hand on brake reservoir" sequence I suggested?
MX Dad #27
Fantasy
279th
4/12/2009 8:08pm
jtomasik wrote:
Just curious...did you go out to the bike tonight and try the "throttle hand on brake reservoir" sequence I suggested?
That is what we usually do but this bike has been a mother.
drmarkr
4/12/2009 8:17pm
Have you checked the valve clearance? Maybe it was set up tight at the factory.
jtomasik
4/12/2009 8:25pm
jtomasik wrote:
MX Dad #27 wrote:
That is what we usually do but this bike has been a mother.
Ok. Sorry I couldn't help. Best of luck, especially when your daughter races!
rallendude
4/13/2009 2:03pm
Put a 45 pilot in and turn the fuel screw out about 1 3/4 turns. Main should be in the 175 range.

Cold, drmarkr's method should work but I don't do the 4-5 slow kicks first. Just pull the choke, twist the throttle 2 or 3 times and kick 3 or 4 times fairly quickly. Make sure your kicks are full solid strokes. If it doesn't fire after this, give it two more throttle twists and kick again.

If you have not luck there, pull the hot start and kick until it starts.

Once the jetting is changed, if the bike pops any on decel then turn the fuel screw out in 1/4 turn increments until it doesn't pop any more.

Also, I don't know if this is your first four-stroke, but they really don't like a lot of air filter oil. I'd still go to the 45 pilot but you might also try with the filter out if you think you might have too much oil on it.
4/14/2009 12:21am
try the hot start from the get go. If it kind of pops then does nothing... it's flooded.

What gas you running?
Jeff H
4/14/2009 4:26am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 11:23pm
rallendude wrote:
Put a 45 pilot in and turn the fuel screw out about 1 3/4 turns. Main should be in the 175 range. Cold, drmarkr's method should...
Put a 45 pilot in and turn the fuel screw out about 1 3/4 turns. Main should be in the 175 range.

Cold, drmarkr's method should work but I don't do the 4-5 slow kicks first. Just pull the choke, twist the throttle 2 or 3 times and kick 3 or 4 times fairly quickly. Make sure your kicks are full solid strokes. If it doesn't fire after this, give it two more throttle twists and kick again.

Once the jetting is changed, if the bike pops any on decel then turn the fuel screw out in 1/4 turn increments until it doesn't pop any more.

Also, I don't know if this is your first four-stroke, but they really don't like a lot of air filter oil. I'd still go to the 45 pilot but you might also try with the filter out if you think you might have too much oil on it.
Jetting is bad from Honda,
left intake was a little tight also and exaust valves way tight.
Changed needle and leak jet reshimmed and and much easier to start but still have to do a drill similar to what Dr. Mark suggests.
The cam I think is a little agessive, some guys are grinding on decompression duration via thumper talk. I didn't do that , but overall the bike starts way better a runs very well Got jetting specs from everyones favorite mag MXA. Give me a couple of hours and I will post up leak jet and needle I installed or do a search on MXA
p.s. not saying 45 pilot won't work but tried that first and it got worse
MX Dad #27
Fantasy
279th
4/14/2009 6:08am
try the hot start from the get go. If it kind of pops then does nothing... it's flooded.

What gas you running?
BP Ultimate 91
Jeff H
4/14/2009 9:48am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 11:23pm
rallendude wrote:
Put a 45 pilot in and turn the fuel screw out about 1 3/4 turns. Main should be in the 175 range. Cold, drmarkr's method should...

Jeff H wrote:
Jetting is bad from Honda, left intake was a little tight also and exaust valves way tight. Changed needle and leak jet reshimmed and and much...
Jetting is bad from Honda,
left intake was a little tight also and exaust valves way tight.
Changed needle and leak jet reshimmed and and much easier to start but still have to do a drill similar to what Dr. Mark suggests.
The cam I think is a little agessive, some guys are grinding on decompression duration via thumper talk. I didn't do that , but overall the bike starts way better a runs very well Got jetting specs from everyones favorite mag MXA. Give me a couple of hours and I will post up leak jet and needle I installed or do a search on MXA
p.s. not saying 45 pilot won't work but tried that first and it got worse
MX Dad,
Try a 65 leak jet, NMUU needle W/ clip 2nd from top and fuel screw 2 1/2 turns out.
Depending on elevation clip & fuel screw will need tweaking to dial for optimum performance.
The R&D bowl works if you want to invest but I did not think it was needed after I made these changes.
If you have not checked valve clearance, do so as mine were off out of the box, a first for me, as I have owned five new Honda 4 strokes.
4/14/2009 10:33am
Jeff gave you great advice.

45 pilot doesn't work... makes it worse.

try turning up idle a fair amount.

leak jet has nothing to do with starting.
Jeff H
4/14/2009 11:48am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 11:23pm
Very true,the leak jet helped for bog & popping, I put your knowledge high in priority.Turning up idle also good idea
Regards, Jeff
mcopsey
4/14/2009 6:34pm
Sounds like the pilot jet is plugged to me. Make sure the pilot circuit is clean, take out the pilot jet and the fuel screw with spring, washer and oring and blow through the pilot jet location and make sure you are getting air flowing from that to the pilot screw and the air jet on the filter side.
Highsider
4/20/2009 7:35am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 11:28pm
Did you come up with any solutions? Any better?

4/20/2009 11:06am
With my bike - I know I need a shim when it starts to get very difficult to start. It may be fuel or air issues, but as Dr Mark said with CRF250's never rule out the valves.

Just take the tappet cover off and check the clearances, its probably easier than getting that damn carb out! Good luck.
MX Dad #27
Fantasy
279th
4/20/2009 1:35pm
Highsider wrote:
Did you come up with any solutions? Any better?

Cold starting just like DRMARKR said, fires right off. Hot starting we just can't figure out, we went to the sandbox on Sunday sometimes pull in the hotstart kick it once, it started, the next time she would kick on it for 5 minutes, nothing. I'm going to have Tony E. look at it tomorrow, I don't even know what to tell her to do(give it gas, don't give it gas, kick it slow, kick it fast, hot start, no hot start.........)
drmarkr
4/20/2009 3:27pm
That story makes me think the intake valve was set up tight, or has stretched a little.....did you say you had checked clearances??
Highsider
4/20/2009 5:37pm
drmarkr wrote:
That story makes me think the intake valve was set up tight, or has stretched a little.....did you say you had checked clearances??
I don't think so, yet, as the bike is brand new. Sounds like they are taking it to a local "CR" doctor, for a treatmentWink
drmarkr
4/20/2009 5:47pm
Jimmie, I've had a couple of the engine builders say they've seen them come tight from the factory? Might be worth a quick feeler gauge feel-up!
chainslap
4/20/2009 6:18pm
My sons 08 had the same problems when brand new.Adjust the valves,when using the hot start only pull it in about an 1/8th inch.Not sure why the hot start is so touchy, but it does not stick in carb,no adjustment seemed to help.
MX Dad #27
Fantasy
279th
4/21/2009 6:31pm
drmarkr wrote:
Highsider wrote:
I don't think so, yet, as the bike is brand new. Sounds like they are taking it to a local "CR" doctor, for a treatmentWink
I think Tony E. has us hooked up! Let's hope, LLQ in Winterset Saturday! Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.
hondarider16
3/8/2010 1:33pm
MX Dad #27 wrote:
We just got a new '08 CRF 250 ran it for the first time last night, REALLY, Really hard to start. We put on an R&D...
We just got a new '08 CRF 250 ran it for the first time last night, REALLY, Really hard to start. We put on an R&D float bowl(this made our '06 run better and easier to start) but other wise the motor is stock. Any ideas? My daughter is already saying "I hate that bike" and we are 2 weeks from our Lorettas qualifier. Please I'm not looking for "you should have bought a 250 2 stroke" it's not really an option for my 110# daughter. One thing that was odd, we never touch the throttle when starting but we did once and it popped and flamed out the exhaust but it did start.
my bike did the same thing it would fire when it wanted and it was a pain i would suggest checking the clearance with the valves cause that was my problem it wasnt opening my exaust valve
12/25/2012 1:49pm
drmarkr wrote:
Cold start routine.....do it exactly like this. Gas on. Choke on. Slowly kick engine over 4-5 cycles without touching throttle. Three twists of throttle to prime...
Cold start routine.....do it exactly like this.

Gas on. Choke on. Slowly kick engine over 4-5 cycles without touching throttle.

Three twists of throttle to prime chamber. Hand off throttle.

Kick to start. If it blubbers and runs a couple of seconds and dies, it burned the prime out. Two twists of throttle to prime again. Hand off throttle and kick again. Should stay running this time, although I've had to repeat a third time when it's really cold out.

Right on DizzyWoohoo
4/29/2018 7:50am
Got a 2013 crf 250 r feul injected..
It struggles to start in the cold even with the choke

Post a reply to: CRF 250 starting problem

The Latest