CR125 Transmission is hard to turn, crankcases seems difficult to get together.

Edited Date/Time 9/24/2014 10:26pm
So I finally started to put my 125 motor back together and ran into a problem in the early stages. First I'll tell you what I did; All of the engine is ok, except the crank but I bought a Wiseco bottom end kit so I decided to swap out the main bearings too (the engine was only 4 hours old, except for the crank). Anyway, I froze the main bearings and lightly tapped them in til the sound changes (you know how the sound changes when you tap them in). So then I put the transmission in (with the shift forks in correctly) and everything seemed fine. The crank went in alright too, so I put the other half on and lightly tapped the cases down (note; I checked the cases for warpage, 100% unwarped). So drop the bolts in and just seat the bolts down (not even torqued down) and check the crank for movement - fine, check the transmission - really hard to turn. So I remove the bolts, and split the cases and check the transmission - turns fine and all the washers and stuff are in. Although I notice the right crank case half appears to have grind marks from the countershaft. So I check the main bearing was incorrectly and it won't go down (this is on the left crankcase since I thought the bearing might have come up. I put it together and apart a bunch of times and the same thing happened. When I lightly put the cases together, it feels like the case is pivoting on the crank.

So I'm starting to wonder if the Wiseco stuff is correctly sized. Last time I used the genuine Honda bearings and everything went together (I had no idea how old the crank was but it was still in spec). But last time everything went together so easily.

Any ideas why tightening the crankcase bolts would seize up the transmission upon tightening? I'm thinking I might reuse the old bearings (like I said, 4 hours old) because they're still in good condition. But it's a pain to have to remove them.
|
9/16/2014 1:25am
I removed the main bearings again so I'll reseat the tomorrow. Hopefully that will work. I'm at my uncles place so I don't have my heat gun (or a mates blowtorch) to heat up the case half. Anyone know what a safe temperature in the oven is?
Paw Paw 271
9/16/2014 7:00am
Do you have the transmission in neutral?
You did remove the clutch, correct?

Paw Paw
dogger315
9/16/2014 3:37pm
You can put the cases in an oven at 250 degrees if you have bearings with grease on them in the cases. Leave in for
about thirty minutes or until the case itself is 200 to 250 degrees.

As far as the fit of the Wiseco bearings, it's hard to tell without seeing what you have, but going back to the Honda
bearings is a good idea.

Your Uncle is going to wonder why his house smells like grease every time he turns on his oven.

Good luck with it.

dogger

The Shop

RyanLester761
9/16/2014 10:39pm
Wiseco cranks go out after about an hour of ride-time.I had two sieze in a 2003 rm125 I rebuilt. I finally got a refund from Wiseco and went back to OEM.

I'm not sure about their main bearing but you should measure the thickness compared to your oem ones.
9/24/2014 6:58am Edited Date/Time 9/24/2014 6:59am
So I found out the problem; Nothing wrong with Wiseco (i think, at this point). What happened was, this was the first bike I ever rebuilt. And when I rebuilt it I did two wrong things. Obviously the first thing wasn't replacing the crank but funds were tight at the time.

The second mistake was using a different engine case. When I got the bike it came with a complete set of CR125 engine cases. The problem was I wasn't 100% sure which year they were from but the guy said they were for this bike. And I wanted to replace the old ones because the case saver mount had been broken off, and threads stripped in the right crankcase. Anyway, it turns out that the right crankcase from this set (of older cases I'm guessing) has a raised surface around the bearing on the input shaft of the transmission, whereas the 1998 case has a bit cut out around the bearing to allow the gear to rotate.

Anyway, It seems due to lack of experience I didn't notice this and didn't notice any stiffness like I did now and put the engine together. Oddly enough, I rode it like that and there was no oil leaks (and the wheel spun freely too). Thankfully there isn't any damage except for a notch ground in on the (now) old right crank case.

Now I know for next time! hopefully the left crank case fits together well now, although I will be very methodical and tedious with my inspection this time.
Paw Paw 271
9/24/2014 6:21pm
It would have been nice to have this info in the first post!

Paw Paw

Post a reply to: CR125 Transmission is hard to turn, crankcases seems difficult to get together.

The Latest