CR 125 pipe drooling -- premix ratio, jetting or riding style?

mark_swart
Edited Date/Time 3/5/2015 10:03am
My daughter is starting to play ride on my 88 CR 125. Fresh piston, fresh 128cc overbore, fresh reeds, FMF pipe, clean air filter. I'm running Lucas semi-synthetic premix at 32:1 with stock jetting.

My problem is that the bike is smoking a lot and is drooling like crazy from the headpipe. And a little from the back of the exhaust and even the pipe joint.

I don't see her skill level advancing to where she will be pushing the bike much harder any time soon, should I try to solve this problem by leaning out the jetting or going to maybe 40:1 or higher premix ratio?

I am running the goofy OEM metal seal/collar on that is supposed to seal the headpipe, but I'm thinking about trying to find some o-rings that would fit in there instead for a tighter seal.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
|
rmartin517
3/4/2015 3:30am
You may have a crankshaft seal leaking. Also you might want to lean the bike out a bit.
3/4/2015 4:44am
With everything fresh, it may take some time for everything to get run in and start working properly. Do a search for spooge and splooge and you will find your answer. You dont get rid of it with oil ratios but with leaner jetting.
BD233
3/4/2015 4:54am
With everything fresh, it may take some time for everything to get run in and start working properly. Do a search for spooge and splooge and...
With everything fresh, it may take some time for everything to get run in and start working properly. Do a search for spooge and splooge and you will find your answer. You dont get rid of it with oil ratios but with leaner jetting.
Correct, and if she's lugging it around it will spooge a lot. When I ride my KX250 in the woods it will spooge some, on the track it never does.
DoctorJD
3/4/2015 5:28am
With everything fresh, it may take some time for everything to get run in and start working properly. Do a search for spooge and splooge and...
BD233 wrote:
Correct, and if she's lugging it around it will spooge a lot. When I ride my KX250 in the woods it will spooge some, on the...
Correct, and if she's lugging it around it will spooge a lot. When I ride my KX250 in the woods it will spooge some, on the track it never does.
Same here.

The Shop

mark_swart
3/4/2015 9:55am
Leaner jetting it is - thanks guys!

It would probably help if I went out and rode a moto on it to get it good and hot and clear it out, but it seems like something breaks every time I ride it LOL!!
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
3/4/2015 10:04am
Yep, leaner jetting. And sometimes it can be hard to diagnose and analyze your changes because by the now the pipe and silencer packing are probably loaded with drool. So even if you lean it out it may still spooge, giving you a false indication that it is still rich. So, be prepared to repack the silencer a few times during the process of getting the jetting where it needs to be,
mxrose3
Fantasy
1046th
3/5/2015 10:03am
rmartin517 wrote:
You may have a crankshaft seal leaking. Also you might want to lean the bike out a bit.
This ^^
Older 2 strokes that haven't had a complete bottom end rebuild lately tend to smoke more than usual because crankcase oil gets sucked into the combustion chamber. The seals deteriorate over time. At the very least, replace both crank seals.

Post a reply to: CR 125 pipe drooling -- premix ratio, jetting or riding style?

The Latest