Building an RM-Z 450 for Pro Nationals

Spagina767
3/26/2015 11:23am
I wouldn't worry too much about the motor, especially with the short start at Budds. This was a stock motor with just an FMF pipe at...
I wouldn't worry too much about the motor, especially with the short start at Budds.

This was a stock motor with just an FMF pipe at Elsinore on the 241 of Derek Anderson (he's on the outside of the first picture).

Sprint speed (and suspension you are used to and comfortable with pushing the limits on) for qualifying and endurance for the motos are what you can focus on.

The basket/plates on the clutch are a solid investment along with good fuel. A clutch to swap partway through the day to a freshy is also a solid investment. And tires.
Grizz wrote:
Yea I remember Derek and I always wondered if he was really on a stock motor. Good to hear. Unfortunately Muddy Creek and High Point have...
Yea I remember Derek and I always wondered if he was really on a stock motor. Good to hear. Unfortunately Muddy Creek and High Point have uphill starts and Unadilla is fairly long but I'm fully aware reaction time and technique can't be beat by horsepower (most of the time anyways Laughing )

Thanks for the tips Chex.
You a D5 guy?
Spagina767
3/26/2015 11:26am
JBlain619 wrote:
Grizz, My RMZ 450 has a full E10 mods motor, tranny polished, with full yosh and mapping. You can take it for a spin if you'd...
Grizz,

My RMZ 450 has a full E10 mods motor, tranny polished, with full yosh and mapping. You can take it for a spin if you'd like. Should be riding somewhere this wknd.
I had an 09 KX 450 with polished tranny and everything. Clutch pull and shifting was insanely smooth/ effortless.
jhansen510
Fantasy
3595th
3/26/2015 2:17pm
JBlain619 wrote:
Grizz, My RMZ 450 has a full E10 mods motor, tranny polished, with full yosh and mapping. You can take it for a spin if you'd...
Grizz,

My RMZ 450 has a full E10 mods motor, tranny polished, with full yosh and mapping. You can take it for a spin if you'd like. Should be riding somewhere this wknd.
Spagina767 wrote:
I had an 09 KX 450 with polished tranny and everything. Clutch pull and shifting was insanely smooth/ effortless.
How does the polished tranny help its clutch pull? Been considering getting my Kawi 250f done to help with the notch you shifting.
Spagina767
3/26/2015 2:35pm
JBlain619 wrote:
Grizz,

Spagina767 wrote:
jhansen510 wrote:
How does the polished tranny help its clutch pull? Been considering getting my Kawi 250f done to help with the notch you shifting.
It probably didn't have anything to do with it, I guess I just added it in there since I was talking about shifting.

The Shop

brimx153
3/26/2015 4:44pm
best of luck man , ill be cheering from Ireland.
lumpy790
3/26/2015 5:26pm
#1 Suspension...... you are only as fast as you are comfortable to go.

#2 Spend the $$$$ on the GOOD legal race fuel and dyno map to it. Not cheap but privateers have told me it works! And .... do not depend on it being available at the track...... there was a shortage last year that left riders scrambling.

#3 ..... Who's your hoser? Cool
Grizz
3/26/2015 5:54pm
lumpy790 wrote:
#1 Suspension...... you are only as fast as you are comfortable to go. #2 Spend the $$$$ on the GOOD legal race fuel and dyno map...

#2 Spend the $$$$ on the GOOD legal race fuel and dyno map to it. Not cheap but privateers have told me it works! And .... do not depend on it being available at the track...... there was a shortage last year that left riders scrambling.

Nobody now! Wanting to get the MotoHose Y kit though.
Grizz
3/26/2015 6:03pm
Spagina767 wrote:
You a D5 guy?
If there was a D5 anymore I would be! PAMX, MDRA, MAMA, OMXA, Victory Sports is what I typically race.
lumpy790
3/26/2015 6:20pm
lumpy790 wrote:
#1 Suspension...... you are only as fast as you are comfortable to go. #2 Spend the $$$$ on the GOOD legal race fuel and dyno map...

Grizz wrote:
Nobody now! Wanting to get the MotoHose Y kit though.
2015's in stock
Grizz
3/26/2015 6:21pm
brimx153 wrote:
best of luck man , ill be cheering from Ireland.
Thanks!

And awesome Lumpy. Definitely gunna be picking some up. Gotta keep it cool!
Bruce372
3/26/2015 9:00pm
Lumpy790, would you be prepared to.sell just the y piece??

Do you make the kits in black?
Idaho747
3/26/2015 9:20pm
I know a lot of people say no to the high compression Pistons. But if I were to build a national bike on a budget I would do a mild high comp piston, vortex cdi, and full pipe. And of course suspension. Just my .02

We put a mild high comp piston (cp piston) in my rmz and I absolutley love what it did to the bike. Really made everything more crisp and responsive and gave it a harder hit of the bottom with a smooth pull.
JBlain619
3/27/2015 7:29am
JBlain619 wrote:
Grizz,

nytsmaC wrote:
Wiseco piston?
HAHAHAHA!!! @ Nytsmac, that was great! No, it has a CP piston in it...Wiseco never again. Noticed you're from Kamloops, just watched the Canadian National from there. Track looks sweet!!

Spagina, the tranny work helped big time with the shifting, not notchy under load anymore. I have a complete Hinson in it and clutch pull is super smooth!

lumpy790
3/27/2015 8:40am Edited Date/Time 3/27/2015 8:51am
Bruce372 wrote:
Lumpy790, would you be prepared to.sell just the y piece??

Do you make the kits in black?
Hose kits are well .... Manufactured as a kit and .... sold as a kit.

We are going to make some Black kits as a test to see how they sell but the RMZ was not going to be one of the models.

FYI we added High Pressure Radiator Caps.

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
3/27/2015 5:31pm
I noticed that nobody stated the basics:

Run your chain with enough slack, and make sure the rear wheel is absolutely true and the chain and sprockets all align in the same plane. Chain and both hubs well lubricated.

Brakes bled and adjusted with no drag on the disc at either wheel. You should be able to spin the rear wheel for several revolutions with one push with the chain on. Front wheel for at least 20-30 revs.

Plenty of grease in all linkages, bearings, etc.

Don't over-lube the air filter.

Run a full-synthetic, ester oil at a low viscosity for more HP. 10W-30 or 5W-25 will work. This is a factory trick from what I understand (I know there's a race-version Yamalube at some low viscosity rating like that.)

Good luck!
mark_swart
3/27/2015 6:20pm
Grizz wrote:
You got me all wrong, this is exactly what I wanted to hear! I just want to know the bare minimum. Trust me I know know...
You got me all wrong, this is exactly what I wanted to hear! I just want to know the bare minimum. Trust me I know know suspension is most important thing and also what I'll spend the most time getting right. The bikes going to be brand new so I don't need to rebuild anything.

Honestly, I thought my original post was making it clear that I don't want a high dollar race motor, guess not haha. I am confident I can make it in the fast 40 but I am a little worried about being left behind at the gate if I leave the motor bone stock. I can't really afford to do the whole Hinson clutch (or rekluse) so wouldn't the plates, fibers, springs, and basket be the next best thing?

I know some people will read above and think, "He can get a brand new bike for nationals but can't afford a Hinson clutch?" Well my dad is buying the bikes and all the parts and upgrades are on me. I only work part-time because I go to college full-time. Contingency money from local racing helps me get most parts.

Edit: Forgot to say thanks for the suggestions mxtech. I'm still open to suggestions on motor mods but I know running good fuel and getting it mapped correctly will be my priority.
"Well my dad is buying the bikes and all the parts and upgrades are on me. I only work part-time because I go to college full-time. Contingency money from local racing helps me get most parts"

Hey man, nothing to do with your engine, but when I read this all I could think was HELL YES and I want to give you props. Great to see somebody out there chasing the dream, but at the same time pulling their share AND preparing for the future. Good on you!

#TEAMGRIZZ

Grizz
3/28/2015 9:45am
Grizz wrote:
You got me all wrong, this is exactly what I wanted to hear! I just want to know the bare minimum. Trust me I know know...
You got me all wrong, this is exactly what I wanted to hear! I just want to know the bare minimum. Trust me I know know suspension is most important thing and also what I'll spend the most time getting right. The bikes going to be brand new so I don't need to rebuild anything.

Honestly, I thought my original post was making it clear that I don't want a high dollar race motor, guess not haha. I am confident I can make it in the fast 40 but I am a little worried about being left behind at the gate if I leave the motor bone stock. I can't really afford to do the whole Hinson clutch (or rekluse) so wouldn't the plates, fibers, springs, and basket be the next best thing?

I know some people will read above and think, "He can get a brand new bike for nationals but can't afford a Hinson clutch?" Well my dad is buying the bikes and all the parts and upgrades are on me. I only work part-time because I go to college full-time. Contingency money from local racing helps me get most parts.

Edit: Forgot to say thanks for the suggestions mxtech. I'm still open to suggestions on motor mods but I know running good fuel and getting it mapped correctly will be my priority.
mark_swart wrote:
[i]"Well my dad is buying the bikes and all the parts and upgrades are on me. I only work part-time because I go to college full-time...
"Well my dad is buying the bikes and all the parts and upgrades are on me. I only work part-time because I go to college full-time. Contingency money from local racing helps me get most parts"

Hey man, nothing to do with your engine, but when I read this all I could think was HELL YES and I want to give you props. Great to see somebody out there chasing the dream, but at the same time pulling their share AND preparing for the future. Good on you!

#TEAMGRIZZ

Thanks man!
Grizz
4/30/2015 6:09pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2015 6:09pm
Well I finished the most important part, the graphics!

Need to get an all black seat cover, hate the yellow stripes...
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
4/30/2015 6:25pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2015 6:26pm
Great thread! I may have missed this, but which nationals will you be hitting? (Besides Budds- I think you said).

Btw - like the tribute to dad on the graphics!
Grizz
4/30/2015 6:26pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2015 8:44pm
Need to sell my 250F before I can get a 2015 so I might be racing this bike (2014), not that it matters too much.

Besides what you can see on the bike I also have Streamline levers and brake lines coming as well as a Pro Taper chain to go with the sprockets (chain was back-ordered). I'm going up a tooth on the rear sprocket to try and make the gearing feel more like the Kawi's that I'm used to.

Next on the list is a Hinson clutch. Should be able to get that 2 paychecks from now. Laughing

Also need to get some good fuel and have the bike mapped for it but I will be doing that closer to Muddy Creek as I can't justify running race gas for practicing.

No motor work yet and honestly I probably won't be getting any done this season as my budget is as stretched as it can be with other things (some non moto related).
Grizz
4/30/2015 6:30pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2015 6:31pm
Brad460 wrote:
Great thread! I may have missed this, but which nationals will you be hitting? (Besides Budds- I think you said). Btw - like the tribute to...
Great thread! I may have missed this, but which nationals will you be hitting? (Besides Budds- I think you said).

Btw - like the tribute to dad on the graphics!
Muddy Creek, High Point, and Budds for sure. Depending on how those go I would really like to hit Unadilla and maybe Indiana. Obviously I really want to do Red Bud too, but I think that's going to be a next year thing.

Haha yea I started doing the big DAD on the shrouds last year and until someone helps me out more than him or I'm doing this 100% on my own it's gunna stay there!
markit
5/1/2015 5:46am
How a bout a A kit?
5/1/2015 4:32pm
@grizz, do yourself a favor, give jbonemotorworks a call 860 4285528, I know its not in your budget right now but try talking to him and explain your situation to him he may be able to help ya out more than ya think since u have a pro licence, tell him nj rob referred ya,
Grizz
5/2/2015 8:16am
markit wrote:
How a bout a A kit?
That would be bad ass! But right now I don't think the benefit is worth the money for me (even used). Even if it made me a second faster every lap, it would benefit me more to gain that second by improving my corner speed. I would love to try some though.

Thanks Bruce!

Rocket, is he located in NJ? Thanks for the recommendation, I think I'll be giving him a call.
markit
5/2/2015 3:11pm
markit wrote:
How a bout a A kit?
Grizz wrote:
That would be bad ass! But right now I don't think the benefit is worth the money for me (even used). Even if it made me...
That would be bad ass! But right now I don't think the benefit is worth the money for me (even used). Even if it made me a second faster every lap, it would benefit me more to gain that second by improving my corner speed. I would love to try some though.

Thanks Bruce!

Rocket, is he located in NJ? Thanks for the recommendation, I think I'll be giving him a call.
Latter breaking points and go in faster.Smile it hurts some but that was what i did.

Post a reply to: Building an RM-Z 450 for Pro Nationals

The Latest