Building a race 250f worth it?

kawi448
Edited Date/Time 9/4/2015 1:37pm
I wanted to do a build on my 2015 CRF250r this winter, I'm not racing to be competitive at lorettas or anything like that, I just think a 250f with 45+ hp would be a dream bike.

I'm assuming it would cost ~1500-2000 for a full motor build. For anyone that has experience with built 250f motors, especially crfs, what is the outcome on reliability/durability? Obvious things like valve checks are going to be more frequent and meticulous maintenance is probably much more important, but in terms of actual rebuilds is it going to break the bank?

Anyone know any good builders?
|
poulinaa
9/1/2015 9:17am
Try 5-6k if you can't do any of the work yourself. Mayyyybe 3-4 if your gonna do the work yourself. OEM polished and balanced crank, Carrillo platinum rod with that special CP piston, custom camshaft, CuBe valve seats, titanium one piece valves, titanium springs, titanium retainers, valve guides, port&polish head, full exhaust, throttle body work, ignition, tumbled and polished trans, and not to mention dyno time...?

Those are all of the shelf parts/services and the base of most balls out race motors.
kawi448
9/1/2015 9:30am
poulinaa wrote:
Try 5-6k if you can't do any of the work yourself. Mayyyybe 3-4 if your gonna do the work yourself. OEM polished and balanced crank, Carrillo...
Try 5-6k if you can't do any of the work yourself. Mayyyybe 3-4 if your gonna do the work yourself. OEM polished and balanced crank, Carrillo platinum rod with that special CP piston, custom camshaft, CuBe valve seats, titanium one piece valves, titanium springs, titanium retainers, valve guides, port&polish head, full exhaust, throttle body work, ignition, tumbled and polished trans, and not to mention dyno time...?

Those are all of the shelf parts/services and the base of most balls out race motors.
Ok, thanks for the response. What if I weren't to go all out and just did say, hc piston, cam, porting and remap?
poulinaa
9/1/2015 9:38am
Then you would easily have a reliable 40 hp bike to whip around on. When I say reliable I'm speaking in relative terms.
kawi448
9/1/2015 9:45am
poulinaa wrote:
Then you would easily have a reliable 40 hp bike to whip around on. When I say reliable I'm speaking in relative terms.
Which I'm assuming means it's going to be quite a bit higher maintenance than a stocker, especially the way some people treat them, but not a tear down every 2 Motos like a motor pumping all it possibly could

The Shop

pete24
9/1/2015 10:14am
1500- to 2000 is what its going to cost you to have your stocker rebuilt so it will last you all of next year, dont do it
walent215
9/1/2015 11:36am
We've got a 15 crf250 with a spare race motor that is awesome. ..it is a 2013 motor built by George at bpm race engines. ..porting,custom cam grind with 24 mm buckets,carillo long rod with cp piston,decked cylinder,polished trans with full rekluse manual clutch. It is not cheap but it is an awesome piece....pm for other details
poulinaa
9/1/2015 11:39am
Or a 270 big bore kit. I hear the CRF's respond VERY well to an extra 3mm of piston diameter. Maybe get some cams to offset the newfound low end torque, an exhaust system, map it and huzzah!
9/1/2015 4:32pm
walent215 wrote:
We've got a 15 crf250 with a spare race motor that is awesome. ..it is a 2013 motor built by George at bpm race engines. ..porting,custom...
We've got a 15 crf250 with a spare race motor that is awesome. ..it is a 2013 motor built by George at bpm race engines. ..porting,custom cam grind with 24 mm buckets,carillo long rod with cp piston,decked cylinder,polished trans with full rekluse manual clutch. It is not cheap but it is an awesome piece....pm for other details
George builds some great engines. Hear the R&D Genious throttle body is making big power out of his already potent packages. Years of experience in engine building / tuning.

His Pro Mod drag race engines were class leaders for years. He builds power.
jhansen510
Fantasy
3595th
9/1/2015 7:48pm
Start with a Yamaha and you'll have better results. I have a 13 Kawi 250f but here nothing but positives about the ability to make the blue bikes rip due to the intake design. Real talk. The Crf motor is handicapped from square one.
walent215
9/1/2015 9:45pm
walent215 wrote:
We've got a 15 crf250 with a spare race motor that is awesome. ..it is a 2013 motor built by George at bpm race engines. ..porting,custom...
George builds some great engines. Hear the R&D Genious throttle body is making big power out of his already potent packages. Years of experience in engine...
George builds some great engines. Hear the R&D Genious throttle body is making big power out of his already potent packages. Years of experience in engine building / tuning.

His Pro Mod drag race engines were class leaders for years. He builds power.
Really? That would be awesome to try one out....I just put the race motor back together tonight with a new cp piston and all new valves and springs,cam chain etc....really looking forward to my son riding it because it actually had some hours on it when we got it and it was ridiculously fast....so with a new piston and pretty much new head I'm thinking it will be unreal...
DylanVV21
9/1/2015 11:13pm
On my 250f, we put a high compression Wiseco piston, a hot cams cam, full exhaust and ran vp fuel and that thing was pretty fast but still super reliable because nothing was stroked or anything crazy! Cheap and easy compared to a full blown race bike if you aren't trying to go to LL or anything.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
9/4/2015 9:38am
kawi448 wrote:
I wanted to do a build on my 2015 CRF250r this winter, I'm not racing to be competitive at lorettas or anything like that, I just...
I wanted to do a build on my 2015 CRF250r this winter, I'm not racing to be competitive at lorettas or anything like that, I just think a 250f with 45+ hp would be a dream bike.

I'm assuming it would cost ~1500-2000 for a full motor build. For anyone that has experience with built 250f motors, especially crfs, what is the outcome on reliability/durability? Obvious things like valve checks are going to be more frequent and meticulous maintenance is probably much more important, but in terms of actual rebuilds is it going to break the bank?

Anyone know any good builders?
really depend on how much you want to spend. if your wanting just a bit more in power i would look into a port and polish and a HC piston to start which would only set you back maybe $600? depending on where you buy the parts and who does the porting.

whatll hit your pocket book the most is parts. piston, crank, cams, springs etc start to add up.

BEST recommendation

Find a local tuner who is reputable, talk to them about what you're looking for. a good honest guy will sell you what you need not what makes them money, and sometimes talk you out of spending money.
brocsdad
9/4/2015 1:37pm
The Honda is about 5hp down from the other 250F’s. With that said 2K will make the bike even with the other bikes. I would consider selling the Honda and buying a YZF or KXF. The KX is typically a 60hr motor and probably less with mods. If you decide to keep the CRF call Terry Varner or Bobby Barr and see what they suggest. HC Piston, Throttle body mod, remap, cam, porting and pipe would wake the bike up for sure but will exceed your budget. The Cylinder Works 270 kit with Stage 2 cam, and pipe would possibly be bang for the buck.

Good Luck!

Post a reply to: Building a race 250f worth it?

The Latest