Best Pipe for 13/14 CRF 450?

brocsdad
Edited Date/Time 8/21/2014 4:55am
MXA rated the Yosh the best novice pipe for the 13-14 CRF 450 and the FMF the best Pro pipe. Since I’m 43 and more of a weekend warrior I would say the Yosh Pipe would work better for me.

I was looking for some more top-end and a little less engine breaking. The bottom through mid is fine but bike seems chocked up a little on top. I was hoping a pipe and a remap would work for now.

My son is sponsored by FMF and I have a friend who rides for Yosh so the cost would be about the same.

Opinions/Suggestions?
|
Team Ideal
8/12/2014 8:33am
Haven't tried the Yosh but we run FMF. What you want is exactly what my son wanted, a little more top. We got it with the pipe and a map from Tom Zont Racing.
brocsdad
8/12/2014 8:39am Edited Date/Time 8/12/2014 8:40am
Team Ideal wrote:
Haven't tried the Yosh but we run FMF. What you want is exactly what my son wanted, a little more top. We got it with the...
Haven't tried the Yosh but we run FMF. What you want is exactly what my son wanted, a little more top. We got it with the pipe and a map from Tom Zont Racing.
Thanks for the reply!

The review said the FMF hits really hard which is ok when you are in shape but it may tire me out quicker.
OldMechanik
8/12/2014 12:40pm
brocsdad wrote:
MXA rated the Yosh the best novice pipe for the 13-14 CRF 450 and the FMF the best Pro pipe. Since I’m 43 and more of...
MXA rated the Yosh the best novice pipe for the 13-14 CRF 450 and the FMF the best Pro pipe. Since I’m 43 and more of a weekend warrior I would say the Yosh Pipe would work better for me.

I was looking for some more top-end and a little less engine breaking. The bottom through mid is fine but bike seems chocked up a little on top. I was hoping a pipe and a remap would work for now.

My son is sponsored by FMF and I have a friend who rides for Yosh so the cost would be about the same.

Opinions/Suggestions?
Anything quiet. lol
mxb2
8/12/2014 1:19pm
Hc piston, vortex ignition and crower or yosh cam , those 3 are better mods than a pipe, and some renegade sx4, or vp u4.4 or pro6. remove screen from air cage also gear it 13/50 good to go.

The Shop

brocsdad
8/12/2014 1:36pm Edited Date/Time 8/12/2014 1:37pm
mxb2 wrote:
Hc piston, vortex ignition and crower or yosh cam , those 3 are better mods than a pipe, and some renegade sx4, or vp u4.4 or...
Hc piston, vortex ignition and crower or yosh cam , those 3 are better mods than a pipe, and some renegade sx4, or vp u4.4 or pro6. remove screen from air cage also gear it 13/50 good to go.
I have removed the air filter cage and I currently use VP VPR for my sons kx 85 mod and the CRF. I was thinking about a Stage 2 from Hot Cams and possibly have it ported by Barr’s Competition (both sponsors).

For now I just want to go with a remap and a pipe (ballpark $500)

I’m sure the mods you suggested help but it would be more costly than the pipe and remap.

Isn't 13/50 lower gearing? That will kill the top-end.

mxb2
8/12/2014 1:57pm
the gearing works great with the mods listed., but your budget is $500-600, imo i would get a vortex before a pipe not much more $$. better mod. or the cam. and good fuel really helps. the oxygenated cuel. of course , my opinion
brocsdad
8/12/2014 2:54pm Edited Date/Time 8/12/2014 2:54pm
mxb2 wrote:
the gearing works great with the mods listed., but your budget is $500-600, imo i would get a vortex before a pipe not much more $$...
the gearing works great with the mods listed., but your budget is $500-600, imo i would get a vortex before a pipe not much more $$. better mod. or the cam. and good fuel really helps. the oxygenated cuel. of course , my opinion
What will the vortex do as compared to a remap?

Is the vortex pre-set from the factory? or do I need to try and tune it?

I still think the bike is chocked up with the stock pipe.

Team Ideal
8/12/2014 3:11pm
I have to disagree with the vortex, just get a good map and try it first. Tom has an excellent map, between it and the exhaust it made the bike pull longer and completely got rid of the small bog that was happening on really quick throttle at low rpm. I do agree with the 13/50 gearing and oxygenated fuel. we run VP MS103 split 50/50 with 93 pump gas from a local station I trust.

at one point one of our rear cans got messed up and and we ran the FMF header with the stock cans, my son said it made a completely different power curve and that he liked the whole FMF system much better, I didn't really ask to many questions so I'm not sure what he meant but he definitely likes the full system. we switched to Honda's from Yamaha's last year so he never complains about a strong hit from this system.
mxb2
8/12/2014 5:20pm
mxb2 wrote:
the gearing works great with the mods listed., but your budget is $500-600, imo i would get a vortex before a pipe not much more $$...
brocsdad wrote:
What will the vortex do as compared to a remap? Is the vortex pre-set from the factory? or do I need to try and tune it...

more tunable,10 maps, changed w a screwdriver, or on the handlebars, great product, not cheap, but good stuff., remap is good, but limited options at the track. vortex is user friendly, and GET ignition is also good stuff., basically comes down to budget
renegsde sx4 and sx+ , vp u4.4 pro 6, relly good fuels.
brocsdad
8/12/2014 5:41pm
mxb2 wrote:
brocsdad wrote:
What will the vortex do as compared to a remap? Is the vortex pre-set from the factory? or do I need to try and tune it...

mxb2 wrote:
more tunable,10 maps, changed w a screwdriver, or on the handlebars, great product, not cheap, but good stuff., remap is good, but limited options at the...
more tunable,10 maps, changed w a screwdriver, or on the handlebars, great product, not cheap, but good stuff., remap is good, but limited options at the track. vortex is user friendly, and GET ignition is also good stuff., basically comes down to budget
I spoke to the guys at Tokyo Mods and they said the Vortex would be a better option compared to a map and the pipe. I still don't understand why everyone recommends the 50 tooth? I know the Vertex or pipe will help but 2 teeth on the rear is going to take away the gains on top-end.

Next month I plan to having the suspension revalved and I will probably try the vortex.
mxb2
8/12/2014 6:22pm
brocsdad wrote:

mxb2 wrote:
more tunable,10 maps, changed w a screwdriver, or on the handlebars, great product, not cheap, but good stuff., remap is good, but limited options at the...
brocsdad wrote:
I spoke to the guys at Tokyo Mods and they said the Vortex would be a better option compared to a map and the pipe. I...
I spoke to the guys at Tokyo Mods and they said the Vortex would be a better option compared to a map and the pipe. I still don't understand why everyone recommends the 50 tooth? I know the Vertex or pipe will help but 2 teeth on the rear is going to take away the gains on top-end.

Next month I plan to having the suspension revalved and I will probably try the vortex.
the vortex will let the bike rev further, gearing depends on the track but 13/50 cleans up the 2nd to 3rd gear gap.
bd
8/12/2014 10:19pm
Vortex is an awesome mod. Best mod I have done to a bike.

If I had a CRF450 - Vortex, R&D Genius, Yosh Pipe (or pipe of choice), VForce Air Boot, Twin Air filter mod.
Team Ideal
8/13/2014 5:35am Edited Date/Time 8/13/2014 5:38am
like mxb2 said, gearing change makes gap go away and bike pulls better all around, the stock 48 is only needed for the drag strip lol. I know a couple guys going with a 51 rear too.

I'm still not sold on the Vortex after talking to our tuner, especially on the 450, but if you have the extra $$ give it a whirl. let me know what you think.

btw I'm pretty sure they don't make a V-Force boot for the 13/14 450, at least not that the public can buy. from my understanding it did help a few bikes but the actual HP numbers gained on most it wasn't really worth the $$
mxb2
8/13/2014 6:33am
Team Ideal wrote:
like mxb2 said, gearing change makes gap go away and bike pulls better all around, the stock 48 is only needed for the drag strip lol...
like mxb2 said, gearing change makes gap go away and bike pulls better all around, the stock 48 is only needed for the drag strip lol. I know a couple guys going with a 51 rear too.

I'm still not sold on the Vortex after talking to our tuner, especially on the 450, but if you have the extra $$ give it a whirl. let me know what you think.

btw I'm pretty sure they don't make a V-Force boot for the 13/14 450, at least not that the public can buy. from my understanding it did help a few bikes but the actual HP numbers gained on most it wasn't really worth the $$
correct, 13-14 crf 450, no moto tassinari air boot mod. i have one on my kawy, good product, and a screenless air filter, with full fmf 4.1, and tokyo mods remap., bike rips, its geared 13-51 , smaller tracks gearing. if i keep the bike , vortex ignition is next.
brocsdad
8/13/2014 7:17am
Well is sounds like the Vortex is a better mod compared to the pipe and ecu.

Few questions:

1). Even with the Vortex mod wouldn’t the 13/50 gearing cause the bike to rev out too quickly? I hate short shifting and that’s the reason I’m looking to mod the bike.

2). If I add a pipe later on will the Vortex need to be remapped again?

Thanks!
mxb2
8/13/2014 8:30am
brocsdad wrote:
Well is sounds like the Vortex is a better mod compared to the pipe and ecu. Few questions: 1). Even with the Vortex mod wouldn’t the...
Well is sounds like the Vortex is a better mod compared to the pipe and ecu.

Few questions:

1). Even with the Vortex mod wouldn’t the 13/50 gearing cause the bike to rev out too quickly? I hate short shifting and that’s the reason I’m looking to mod the bike.

2). If I add a pipe later on will the Vortex need to be remapped again?

Thanks!
vortex has 10 settings, stock, race, fuel pump , stock pipe, aftermarket pipe etc, and they supply a chart to explain it all, very user friendly. , any questions speak to justin at tokyo mods, good guy good info., the 13/50 will rev further with the vortex. hope this helps, i m commenting on it by my own experiences, other opinions mite be different.
8/17/2014 2:51pm
I was looking for more top end in mine as well, first i had the DRD NS-4 Dual system, which was ok, then i got the Twinair powerflow kit and a DEP S7single system, which works awesome, and was exactly what i was looking for.
8/21/2014 4:55am Edited Date/Time 8/21/2014 7:18am
If your looking for more topend and less engine braking, go with the fmf single and megabomb header..
That's what's on my 14 and it works great.
It gave the stock bike a much longer pull on top. It didn't really add a whole lot of power, but it definitely allowed the bike to pull noticeably longer before signing off.
It took away a little Lowend, and added top. It added more topend than the Lowend it took, so it was a great trade off for me.
It did give my bike a stronger midrange pull and added rev that it didn't have stock...its noticeable..not earth shattering..but noticeable.
It's a good exhaust system for adding topend pulling power and midrange-topend punch.
Plus the whole system is over 4lbs lighter...4lbs. That's huge.. I also am running 13/50 gearing, it works pretty good and my bike still has very good topend power. I also have a stage 2 hotcam, Framebreaker racing remap for VPU4.4, and no toil screenless airfilter and my bikes topend is long and powerful..

But just the single exhaust alone will broaden the topend noticeably. Like I said, it dosnt add a lot of power, but does add some, but it definitely adds breadth to the powerband by skewing it to a longer and stronger pull into the upper revs... And the 4lb weight reduction over stock by itself is a darn good reason to go with the single. Most guys with other 450's have to spend upwards of $2000 plus to get that kind of weight savings..

A light 450 is a happy 450..

Post a reply to: Best Pipe for 13/14 CRF 450?

The Latest