Benefit of a Rekluse clutch for a pure Motocross bike

2/23/2014 11:26am Edited Date/Time 2/24/2014 8:06pm
I am trying to understand the benefits of a Rekluse clutch for a pure Motocross bike. My CRF450 only sees MX.. no trails, no enduro, no single track. It currently has a Hinson 6 spring clutch in it and I am happy.

I hear people raving about the clutch and when I ask them why, I get sound bites like "its almost like cheating". How? I understand that the bike is difficult to stall if you go down, but that is not a huge selling point for me.

What are the other advantages of a Rekluse clutch for a bike that only sees motocross?

mike
|
2/23/2014 12:08pm Edited Date/Time 2/23/2014 12:08pm
Well you cannot stall it, period. Setup correctly, you can focus more on your riding and less on clutch engagement. The tractability still amazes me. You can brake later, especially on tight right handers. You can drag your rear brake on entry's to keep your line and prevent stalling. You can set these clutches up so they engage directly off idle. You need the rpms? the clutch still functions like a regular clutch.
Paw Paw 271
2/23/2014 12:09pm
OK, I too have a crf450 and I use the Rekluse EXP 2.0. The starts are much better, the bike does not stall in turns, it's almost impossible to be in the wrong gear coming out of a turn, you don't shift as much, and arm pump is not an issues. It delivers just the correct about of clutch out of the turns to get great traction and yet you still have compression breaking. You don't get near as tired while riding. It make a smother rider out of you.
I use third gear starts and pull a lot of hole shots.

Paw Paw
2/23/2014 12:37pm
Thanks guys. I have always been a good starter (usually top 3) using the clutch so that isnt a great motivator for me. My bike CRF450 stalls more exiting a turn than braking into a turn.. The throttle body is at Injectioneering get that fixed (I hope) right now. I find I have the fastest cornering speed if I use the rear brake (+front brake) only to the entrance of the turn and then only the front brake lightly to modulate the speed up to the apex of the corner.

I don't like 4-stroke engine braking. This is my biggest issue. I was thinking of the Rekluse primarily to reduce the engine braking that I find a hindrance from the entrance of the corner to the apex, before I get back on the gas. Some people say it does reduce engine braking, some say it doesent, some say it only does a little which has left me confused.

mike
Paw Paw 271
2/23/2014 3:05pm
If the injection system is in good working order, the Rekluse will stop the stalls as you exit turns.

Paw Paw

The Shop

coastie44
2/23/2014 3:44pm
You can set up the rekluse to disengage at higher rpm and freewheel into corners if you like that better as well.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
2/23/2014 10:05pm
The Rekluse feels like a normal clutch. I use it like a normal clutch but you won't stall braking or if you use your rear brake in the air to level out.

It's an amazing product and will only make you faster.

A lot of people think that you get the Rekluse and have to stop using the clutch. But just use it like you normally would and let it help you when you make a mistake.

The exp has some great tuning ability. I set mine so it engages right away, that way I can use the clutch to help me out of turns or when I need some extra speed burst off a jump.
FGR01
Fantasy
1334th
2/24/2014 8:31am
Please clarify which model Rekluse you guys are talking about when you make these claims because I rode a CRF450 with a Rekluse and it was absolutely horrible. The clutch pull was so hard and constantly "sprung" with no play at the lever that you would never think of pulling it during a race. It took the strength of 3 gorillas to pull the lever.

That being said, I think it was an older version I rode. That's why I say, please clarify which version you are talking about that feels just like a normal clutch. and please tell us if it pulls any harder or softer than stock. I never could figure out these crazy names.. Z-start, Core, Core-EXP, Core-EXP-Pro ??? Can someone break this down elementary style for us? I assume the most expensive one is the one you have to buy if you want all the Pros and none of the Cons.
Paw Paw 271
2/24/2014 9:00am Edited Date/Time 2/24/2014 9:01am
The one I use, as already stated, is the EXP 2.0. It takes about 15 minutes to install. The clutch pull is a bit harder than stock, but not much and in as much as you never need to pull it except for a start at the gate, it is not an issue. The price of this item is the lowest that Rekluse offers. Look at them on Motorsports.com.
I have riden bikes with other versions of the Rekluse and I believe this is the most simple and the best they have to offer.
I will not own another bike without one of these in it!
I have had several other folks ride my bike and they have now install this unit in their bikes.
Paw Paw
jsmx97
2/24/2014 9:47am Edited Date/Time 2/25/2014 6:37am
If you rode a bike with the CORE EXP 2 or their new version CORE EXP 3 installed, and you didn't know it was there...

You would think it is a stock clutch, EXCEPT:
-situations when you would stall the bike
-staying on the throttle much longer into corners before braking
-running one or two gears higher on a hardpack off camber section
-race start in 2nd gear with no clutch and NO wheel spin

I feel they are helpful in all of the above situations, PLUS rekluse offers a money back guarantee...You cant afford not to try one.

We sell them at my shop, a good amount of them... Never had a customer return one. We have sold Z-start pros, CORE EXP, exp... CORE EXP seems to be most user friendly and leaves clutch usage most like stock. I have one on my 13' KX450F and love it. It comes with a nice clutch cover too Smile
FGR01
Fantasy
1334th
2/24/2014 2:27pm
Thanks for the info. If I was to switch to rekluse I would definitely need the Core EXP 2 or 3 as that crazy stiff clutch pull my buddy had was a total no-go. Basically I want the bike to ride totally normally except never stall.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
2/24/2014 8:06pm
I had a z-start pro on my CRF 250r and now the Core EXP2 on my KTM 250 SXF.

I understand your experience because my buddy had a z-start pro on his CRF450R and it was set up so horrible! So i suggest the new CORE EXP because it's pretty hard to set up wrong. Once you get these dialed in, there is nothing better!

Post a reply to: Benefit of a Rekluse clutch for a pure Motocross bike

The Latest