Bar setup for woods

mattman631
What bars do you guys run in the woods? I'm running my standard Reed/Henry bend which I've ran in MX for 15 years, but I'm wondering if I might be better off with a taller set up.
|
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
9/17/2016 3:38pm
Suggestions are one thing but until you try the different bars its hard to say what you would like.

I am 5'10 and run RC Bend bars and I ride thru the woods usually like you are in your photo, standing and leaning a little forward. I tried the moose risers, but I am back to the standard mounts.

http://www.motosport.com/product?psreferrer=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.goo…

ianhendry46
9/17/2016 5:18pm
imoto34 wrote:
Suggestions are one thing but until you try the different bars its hard to say what you would like. I am 5'10 and run RC Bend...
Suggestions are one thing but until you try the different bars its hard to say what you would like.

I am 5'10 and run RC Bend bars and I ride thru the woods usually like you are in your photo, standing and leaning a little forward. I tried the moose risers, but I am back to the standard mounts.

http://www.motosport.com/product?psreferrer=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.goo…

Exactly. Actually imoto34, I run the same setup as you , but I cut 3/8 off each side. Where at in TN do you live? I live in Dickson.

9/17/2016 7:22pm
I wouldn't change my bars unless you feel like trying something new. Going to run bark busters or is it pretty open where your at?
mattman631
9/18/2016 8:21am
I'm running bark busters. Also, I'm not a beginner by any means, I was just curious on other people's set up. I've seen some other pros in the area running a taller bar set up but I've been too scared to try it as I am very particular about my bars, but if it will eliminate some lower back pain at the end of a race I might give it a shot.

The Shop

DC323
9/18/2016 10:49am
I'm a taller guy at 6'2" and have raced motocross and harescrambles for years. I have tried the "tall guy" set up on many of my bikes. This includes lower pegs, taller seat, taller bars or bar risers.

I've found that by just moving the bars forward (not rotated, but actually further forward on the top triple clamp) has helped more than running tall bars. What happens with taller bars is your hands actually end up closer to your body, which to compensate you have to lean further back on the bike. This can alter the handling of the bike underneath you. It also makes it harder to keep your elbows up and out. By moving the bars forward, you get extra room without throwing off the balance of the bike.

Just my personal experience.
RockyRider
Fantasy
3380th
9/18/2016 3:27pm
mattman631 wrote:
I'm running bark busters. Also, I'm not a beginner by any means, I was just curious on other people's set up. I've seen some other pros...
I'm running bark busters. Also, I'm not a beginner by any means, I was just curious on other people's set up. I've seen some other pros in the area running a taller bar set up but I've been too scared to try it as I am very particular about my bars, but if it will eliminate some lower back pain at the end of a race I might give it a shot.
Everyone's got their preferences but if you look at most pro level guys out here they have a real neutral bend swept back. No one really runs tall bars, but to each is own. Im a fan of a low bend and sweeping them back, I stand over the front of the bike a lot when I ride and it's just comfy for me at 5'11
mattman631
9/18/2016 6:46pm
DC323 wrote:
I'm a taller guy at 6'2" and have raced motocross and harescrambles for years. I have tried the "tall guy" set up on many of my...
I'm a taller guy at 6'2" and have raced motocross and harescrambles for years. I have tried the "tall guy" set up on many of my bikes. This includes lower pegs, taller seat, taller bars or bar risers.

I've found that by just moving the bars forward (not rotated, but actually further forward on the top triple clamp) has helped more than running tall bars. What happens with taller bars is your hands actually end up closer to your body, which to compensate you have to lean further back on the bike. This can alter the handling of the bike underneath you. It also makes it harder to keep your elbows up and out. By moving the bars forward, you get extra room without throwing off the balance of the bike.

Just my personal experience.
I might try that and see how I like it. I'm 6' but on my RM I just feel a little cramped as opposed to my YZ. It sucks I don't have time during the week to practice much, I hate to make a big change like that and go straight to a race. Thanks for the input!
mwssquad827
9/18/2016 7:22pm Edited Date/Time 9/18/2016 7:24pm
I'm 6'1 and I run rc high bars and love them!! I agree with putting the bars as far forward in the clamps as possible to open up the cockpit. I have no problem with elbows up with the high bars but you won't know tull you run a new bend! Most woods guys I believe run narrow bars
HardTaco
9/18/2016 9:23pm
I'm stuck on flexx bars 10° Enduro. If you ever ride with a set you will never go back. I run straight bars because of my elbow and wrist issues but all the AA and pro guys around NC and VA run a low bar with a ton of sweep.
DuroTools
9/19/2016 12:33am
I read in a past thread started by a pro GNCC racer (sorry forget who) that he runs Mini Bars in YZ bend I believe from Moose Racing. They are the perfect width for woods and since you don't need to cut them it doesn't limit the room that you have for your lever and guards. A few others attested that they ran the same thing, gonna try it when I get new bars cause my brake lever is angled cause I have no room and it's all the way at the curved part. I cut my grips so my hands stay at the ends of the bars. That way may bars are as short as possible without having to give up any more than need on the control aspect.
mattman631
9/19/2016 8:59am
Ive always heard that some guys run mini bars, thats why I was curious as to what others are running. I dont cut my bars down, Ive read that there are some stability issues when running cut down bars...but then again that could be personal preference. In Oklahoma and Arkansas I have not ran into to many areas where I feel cutting the bars would be needed, however I have never tried it. I might just bite the bullet and buy some mini YZ bars. I guess worst case, i dont like them and sell them.
DuroTools
9/19/2016 3:30pm Edited Date/Time 9/19/2016 3:31pm
Where I ride it is super tight in the woods so that's why I cut my bars but again even though I trim them to 30.75" I don't go in much further cause I cut my grips so even though my bars are shorter my hands stay in same position width wise but if you have wide hands this isn't a good idea. I also have CNC'd plugs on the ends of my bars so I can cut my grips and it not look funny. If where you ride your not squeezing between trees then I wouldn't do minis unless you are a smaller guy with not real wide shoulders. When I setup by bars for first time I get on my bike and mount the bars without the grips on yet and extend my hands with my eyes closed and just move them out and in till I feel what is comfortable also while moving my chest close to the bars then pushing out (like pushup position) and once I have it where I feel comfortable I open my eyes and see where my hands are them mark them on the bars. If your hands are really close together when you do this than maybe minis would be good. I think the sweet spot is different for everybody depending on there shoulder width so there's not one good answer IMO. I'm gonna try minis next bar change cause I'm always skimming trees and the wider bars slow you down where I live.
Micahdogg
9/20/2016 2:28pm
Preference, but I like bars up and out. My friends and I are strong B class riders and push fairly hard. Its nice to have "ROOM" to move around when you get sketchy. I can't really do that when my arms are folded up and bars are in my lap. It's a tall guy thing, but I noticed my short friends seem to like the up and out bar setup too.

Sometimes it might be better to be tucked in like a crotch rocket, but generally its not for me.

Post a reply to: Bar setup for woods

The Latest