Attn. digger29, need some info here

njracer46
5/24/2015 1:18pm Edited Date/Time 5/25/2015 7:45pm
I need some help with the new gearing I just switched to. I put on the 14/50 combo and I've only ridden it twice but I llove it compared stock. Have some issues though.. Noticed the last time riding that on the left front of every link the gold coating already was gone. I didn't look into it much because I was done riding for the day and just wanted to get home. Now under close inspection the chain is hitting the slave cylinder guard that I have. I have the enduro engineering one but had to remove the metal bar to clear for the chain. Not only is it hitting the guard but it's digging into the actual cylinder/ pump ( whatever it is) for the hydro clutch. Not bad enough that it has to be replaced, hopefully, but I would like to figure this issue out before riding again. Did you have to do anything to get more clearance?

Anyone else who has experience with the 14/50 gearing feel free to chime in as well
|
Markopolo400
5/24/2015 6:58pm
I literally put 14/50 on my bike 2 days ago. Seems to fit just fine with the stock guard.
njracer46
5/24/2015 7:13pm
I could try putting the stock guard on but can't see it helping. The marks on both sides of the swing arm are in the same spot, running a did vx2 x ring chain.
5/24/2015 8:29pm
Im.running the 14/50 aswell and no problems with rubbing either
KTMShane699
5/24/2015 11:43pm
I run a 14/50 on my 250 and don't have any rubbing issues, but I also don't have a slave cylinder guard on my bike either. I believe digger uses the clutch slave cylinder guard from KTM on his bike and didn't have any clearance issues.

The 14/50 is the best gearing for that bike if you ask me and the gearing change is one of the best mods you can make.

Shane

The Shop

Digger29
5/25/2015 6:54am
I ran 14X50 on both my 13 & 15 300SX's and I had the KTM slave cylinder protector on the 13 and the enduro engineering one on my 15 and neither were rubbing on the protector itself. I didn't use the aluminum bar piece that came with either and I don't run o-ring chains.
njracer46
5/25/2015 9:19am
Well that sucks, I seem to be the only one having issues. I know digger said he's running a standard chain, what is everyone else running? Could it be my chain is to thick, like I said I'm running a did vx2 x ring
KTMShane699
5/25/2015 10:30am
I run a DID 520 ERT2 chain. But I also don't run the slave guard...I know I should. It's probably the one thing I never put on my bike. I should definitely put one on the 450 I guess.

Shane
Digger29
5/25/2015 10:52am
njracer46 wrote:
Well that sucks, I seem to be the only one having issues. I know digger said he's running a standard chain, what is everyone else running...
Well that sucks, I seem to be the only one having issues. I know digger said he's running a standard chain, what is everyone else running? Could it be my chain is to thick, like I said I'm running a did vx2 x ring
I'm going to guess that the x-ring chain must be a tick larger than a standard non o-ring chain and that's why yours is rubbing. I ran DID ERT's for quite a while and have been running Sunstar MXR1 chains for the past 2 seasons and neither of those rubbed.
swtwtwtw
5/25/2015 12:33pm
so what was/is the benefit to running taller gearing? suspension, lap times, or just easier to ride? I am still running stock, but getting near to replacement time. thanks in advance.
njracer46
5/25/2015 1:07pm
swtwtwtw wrote:
so what was/is the benefit to running taller gearing? suspension, lap times, or just easier to ride? I am still running stock, but getting near to...
so what was/is the benefit to running taller gearing? suspension, lap times, or just easier to ride? I am still running stock, but getting near to replacement time. thanks in advance.
I only rode it twice since switching gearing but I have to agree with what digger said in other topics. Stock it likes to sign off early, tighter rutted turns that I'm using 2nd gear in would feel like I needed to shift to 3rd mid turn. Exp in those loamy ruts where you just come in, lay it over and pin it. I found my self using 3rd in these turns which isn't bad but it didn't have that aggressive pull that 2nd had. Plus unless you were fully pinned clutching the hell out of it you were bogging alittle once you dropped the clutch, maybe it's just how I ride, I've never been a fan of clutching the hell out of it every single corner. On 125s you need to but a 250 2 stroke, that thing should be ripping in full power after one or two clutch pulls. Like everyone says the 250 sx has all the bottom/mid in the world but it's lacking in the over revs. Another situation is certain straights, when you're winding out 3rd and need that 4th gear. I would find myself clicking to 4th right before coming into the next turn and having to take that extra time to shift down and set up for the corner. If I can ring 3rd out a little longer in those sections and not click 4th I can hold it on longer and still be set up for the turn. Only thing I noticed was some turns I was in 3rd in I would have to clutch the hell out of it for it not to bog down that first second or two.

Kinda sucks I either have to get a new chain or go back to stock gearing. I used the same chain for over a season and a half, and it was still good. Hardly had to adjust at all, only changed because the sprockets needed changing. And I do like the new gearing over stock.
ianhendry46
5/25/2015 7:45pm
The x-ring chain is pretty wide compared to even an o-ring chain.

Post a reply to: Attn. digger29, need some info here

The Latest