Anyone figure out a good way to make their motocross rear wheel more balanced?

Suns_PSD
Edited Date/Time 1/30/2016 7:49am
When I hit fast jumps I can really feel my rear wheel being out of balance and rotating, anyway to improve this or lessen it without attaching a bunch of balancing weights to the wheel? I already set up the Schrader valve for my tubeless system on the opposite side of my rim lock. Didn't make much difference.
This could even be affecting my traction just down straight aways and whatnot.
Thanks.
|
Jrewing
1/29/2016 5:15am
Rotate your tyre until it balances better. I've noticed it too- my thoughts are the tyres are uneven in weight.
1/29/2016 5:52am
some tires have an ink dot (usually red I think) its supposed to go opposite the valve stem. at least that's what I read on the interwebs...... might be worth looking into though
Charper732
1/29/2016 5:54am Edited Date/Time 1/29/2016 5:57am
You have 2 options. Stick on weights(no recommended as they might fly off) and spoke weights.

Spoke weights are ugly asf, but they will get the job done.

I have never noticed the feeling you are describing until I got a 250sx....it is an odd feeling
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
1/29/2016 6:44am
I've felt this more on some of bikes than others. Could be dirt/mud stuck on rim a lot of the time, so even if you balence the rim with weights your still going to get that.

I went with the Motion pro light rim lock which seemed to help. Also keep your spokes tight and rim true.

The Shop

Beast666
1/29/2016 9:33am
I have worked a few bikes with a TuBliss set up and found the wheels to be massively out of balance. One bike kept taking out fork seals and bushings on a regular basis. The yellow dot should be lined up with the schrader valve as it is the lightest point on the tire. You might try and line it up with the rim lock and then spin it on a balancer and see how much weight it suggests is needed. then you can move the tire to where the yellow dot is 180 degrees from the point where the balancer said to add weight.

Kinda of a pain in the ass but about all you can do to try and get the best balance out of the wheel and tire.
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
1/29/2016 10:47am
Put your wheel on a truing stand and cut some knobs off the side that goes to the bottom. BOOM. problem solved.

You're Welcome
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
1/29/2016 1:18pm
I've always considered putting the yellow dot at the valve stem to be somewhat of a joke. Especially considering the bead lock is heavier than the valve stem.
BobPA
1/29/2016 8:02pm
Just put spoke weights on man. Not that big of a deal
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
1/29/2016 8:10pm
BobPA wrote:
Spoke weights are dangerous for everyone. They aren't legal on street bikes so way scetchy for a track or racing.
BobPA
1/30/2016 6:56am Edited Date/Time 1/30/2016 7:00am
BobPA wrote:
Spoke weights are dangerous for everyone. They aren't legal on street bikes so way scetchy for a track or racing.
Aren't legal for street bikes? I guess you haven't taken a look at your local Harley shop...

A proper sized spoke weight cannot come off unless the spoke nipple breaks....
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
1/30/2016 7:10am
BobPA wrote:
BobPA wrote:
Aren't legal for street bikes? I guess you haven't taken a look at your local Harley shop... A proper sized spoke weight cannot come off unless...
Aren't legal for street bikes? I guess you haven't taken a look at your local Harley shop...

Maybe I was thinking about lead spoke weights that we use on vintage bikes. I didn't know there was legal safe ones. BlinkSilly
BobPA
1/30/2016 7:49am
BobPA wrote:
Aren't legal for street bikes? I guess you haven't taken a look at your local Harley shop... A proper sized spoke weight cannot come off unless...

Maybe I was thinking about lead spoke weights that we use on vintage bikes. I didn't know there was legal safe ones. BlinkSilly
Could be haha. Harley has ones made in their bar and shield emblem, they would not work for moto as they are meant for big ol cruiser spokes. K&L make a low lead version that work very well (I use them to balance dual sport tires all the time). But they are far from cheap. I have seen a few dual sport bikes come in with mechanics wire around the spoke weight, but with the quality K&L weights I do not see it to be necessary.

Post a reply to: Anyone figure out a good way to make their motocross rear wheel more balanced?

The Latest