"Another" yz 125 build. my 05 complete

Edited Date/Time 8/21/2014 1:37pm
Picked up an 05 yz 125 last summer for $1200 and have spent countless hours imagining what I could build from it. Reading reviews, researching the best performance and trick products. But also something unique and meaningful. And (in my mind) a piece of artwork. I see these bike builds on here and am often left drooling, jealous of the time and effort put into each build. Well I'm going to "try" and see if I can get some photo's rolling up. The assembly process has begun. Take it easy on me this is my first build. I'm always open to suggestions
Here is what I started with.
|
5/7/2014 4:13pm
As I'm a truck driver, I browse good old craigslist of the areas I know we deliver to, And I found a guy on craigslist parting out an 06 yz 125 in Tulsa OK. So I gave him a call and arranged to get a trip in that direction to pick up all he had left. Mainly for the rear shock. Success. And didn't even use any of my own gas!

The Shop

5/7/2014 5:31pm Edited Date/Time 5/7/2014 7:17pm
The frame and swing arm were stained in that red Oklahoma clay. They said it wouldn't be a problem bead blasting all of that out.
I was given 3 choices in black, Flat black, semi gloss, and gloss. He was trying to persuade me to go with a gloss black but I thought it would be a little too shiny after he showed me some samples. I ended up going with the semi gloss hoping it would show less wear and tear, But not look faded like flat black

5/7/2014 5:31pm Edited Date/Time 5/7/2014 7:10pm

I took the frame to a company in Kansas City Called Liquid & Powdercoat Finishes. They do all the Harley frames for the Harley plant here in Kansas City. He also said that he does a lot of the KTM frames. Says they run about 250 frames a week.
5/7/2014 7:19pm Edited Date/Time 5/7/2014 7:20pm
2005 was the first year of the "new" aluminum frame, and the new motor. Besides some shifter fork changes and a little different cdi mapping the 05 and up are all the same. But in 2006 they went with the SSS suspension. A huge improvement from the 05 suspension.
Socket946
5/7/2014 8:20pm
Nice work so far! I need to make a post about my cr250.
MaxPower
5/8/2014 1:11am
The frame and swing arm were stained in that red Oklahoma clay. They said it wouldn't be a problem bead blasting all of that out. I...
The frame and swing arm were stained in that red Oklahoma clay. They said it wouldn't be a problem bead blasting all of that out.
I was given 3 choices in black, Flat black, semi gloss, and gloss. He was trying to persuade me to go with a gloss black but I thought it would be a little too shiny after he showed me some samples. I ended up going with the semi gloss hoping it would show less wear and tear, But not look faded like flat black

You made the right choice using semi. You will probably need to used your own judgment too when the guy that powdercoats Harley's recommends you chrome your rims and spokes too.
I saw somewhere there is some kind of kit to adapt newer 250f plastic to your bike.
5/8/2014 2:41pm
I see that shipping label to Forward Motion/Eric Gorr - I have a 144 kit on my '05 YZ125 ported for more mid-top and the thing hauls. Just make sure you are using 50/50 pump & race gas.

keep us updated with pictures - looks good.
5/8/2014 5:54pm
The frame and swing arm were stained in that red Oklahoma clay. They said it wouldn't be a problem bead blasting all of that out. I...

MaxPower wrote:
You made the right choice using semi. You will probably need to used your own judgment too when the guy that powdercoats Harley's recommends you chrome...
You made the right choice using semi. You will probably need to used your own judgment too when the guy that powdercoats Harley's recommends you chrome your rims and spokes too.
I saw somewhere there is some kind of kit to adapt newer 250f plastic to your bike.
As far as the plastics. I'm going to go with the updated front fender/number plate. But keep the back half the old style. I've heard guys who have the updated plastics on the 2 strokes complain about hooking their boot in the shrouds.
5/8/2014 5:58pm
I see that shipping label to Forward Motion/Eric Gorr - I have a 144 kit on my '05 YZ125 ported for more mid-top and the thing...
I see that shipping label to Forward Motion/Eric Gorr - I have a 144 kit on my '05 YZ125 ported for more mid-top and the thing hauls. Just make sure you are using 50/50 pump & race gas.

That's the same set up I'm going with,.. But when you shipped it in did you check the box for race gas? or pump gas? I planned on running it 50/50 with race fuel. But I checked the pump gas. Also what fuel do you mix with. There aren't any 100+ pumps in my area. What VP fuel?
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
5/8/2014 9:40pm
I see that shipping label to Forward Motion/Eric Gorr - I have a 144 kit on my '05 YZ125 ported for more mid-top and the thing...

That's the same set up I'm going with,.. But when you shipped it in did you check the box for race gas? or pump gas? I...
That's the same set up I'm going with,.. But when you shipped it in did you check the box for race gas? or pump gas? I planned on running it 50/50 with race fuel. But I checked the pump gas. Also what fuel do you mix with. There aren't any 100+ pumps in my area. What VP fuel?
If there's an airport nearby, try 100ll. Stuff works great. Eric did my son's 05 YZ125 cylinder and head. Mid-top end power, cut for race gas.
5/9/2014 7:10am

That's the same set up I'm going with,.. But when you shipped it in did you check the box for race gas? or pump gas? I...
I checked the box for pump gas and thought it was going to be OK - turned out I was wrong. See this old thread where it broke the piston due to detonation:

http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Race-Shop,42/YZ144-broken-piston-detonati…

Luckily, there is a Sunoco gas station on the way to the track and they sell 110 octane, so I mix 3 gallon 93 and 2 gallon 110. My understanding is that it needs higher octane or detonation will happen especially if it is ridden wide open.

I went with 14/49 gearing and that fits perfect. The bike screamsSmile
5/9/2014 6:56pm Edited Date/Time 5/9/2014 6:58pm
Came home to some goodies today!! It's like Christmas morning! Went with a full Barnett clutch, Everyone I know who has one LOVES it.. Plus I figured it would handle the extra torque. Also went with All Balls bearings for all the frame/linkage bearings.

5/9/2014 7:42pm
Mika Metals, Bars/sprocket set up. Went with a 13/49. May have to test the 14/49 as benchracer suggested.
New DT1 filter
5/12/2014 7:00pm
A lot of debate between the V force 3 and the Rad Valve, I had the vforce on my previous 06 yz 125 7 years ago. So I figured lets try out this Rad Valve and see if there is any difference. It's looks like it's built better (cast housing) rather than plastic. And of course the pretty ignition/clutch cover for that "factory look"

5/19/2014 7:19pm
Received the Motor back! Caught the feedback in time to Call Eric and have him set the head up for 50/50. Said that it wouldn't be a problem. 144 ported and polished for more mid to top.
lumpy790
5/21/2014 7:18am
Coming together very nicely.

Is it the picture or are the wheels Black / Pink?
5/21/2014 6:25pm
Your eyes are not deceiving you. Went with black wheels, pink hubs and nipples. You will soon have a better idea as to why. Assembly is in full swing. Stay tuned. You won't be dissapointed.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
5/27/2014 1:26pm
When it's all said and done, you should definitely upload it in the bike check section. Wink
lumpy790
5/30/2014 8:48am
We have PINK radiator hoses for the 125.

Unfortunately the Pink carb hoses we had been selling were a mistake at the manufacturer and when we went to reorder they sold out. We are working on another special run but have no ETA.
5/30/2014 8:13pm
More pix coming tomorrow. Sorry for the late response. Working 2 jobs eats up the majority of my time. Good news is she's purring, got the motor in and she fired right up. Anyone have any ideas on what kind of jet changes will be needed?
Rmartin508
5/30/2014 9:21pm
Nice. I'm thinking about powder coating my cr frame black. Still on the fence.
6/8/2014 11:52am
Debating whether to keep the white carb hoses or go with a clear blue hose. Opinions welcomed.

Post a reply to: "Another" yz 125 build. my 05 complete

The Latest