Ambulance Moto Van build

Josh422
Edited Date/Time 4/29/2016 12:03pm
Hey guys,

Thought I'd share my little project I got going on after finding a great start to a camp rig/moto van!

I'm in the process of making the interior a little more comfortable so I'll update as I go.

I found this thing on Craigslist and immediately spoke with the owner. Just so happens I had something he felt was worth trading for, so I came into this project incredibly cheap. He used to actually work as a medic and worked with the van its entire life, from when they brought it on new to the time it was decommissioned. 40,000 original miles and he used it as a race car hauler.

Picked it up near Bend.

Got it home.

There was a incredibly heavy bench seat with some storage built that I took out. I intend on have a wall mount fold out sofa/bed if I don't build one myself. This is the most complete picture I have, started tearing into it before I thought about it.

I quickly found out that the paint doesn't stick to laminate and had to track down some primer. I did 3 coats.

Started on some of the trim. Bought some subwoofer box carpet and think it will help eliminate the dated feel as well as make it more comfortable.

This is where I've left off. Still need to finish some trim pieces on the ceiling and start working on how the bikes will secure. I'm thinking risk racing load and load but not sure yet. Next I'll figure out the bench seating and whether or not I'm going to build it myself. I've got some vinyl black diamond plate flooring and base trim to install as well.
|
ianhendry46
2/24/2016 9:30pm
That's awesome man! I'll be following this. And with 40,000 miles, it should go forever. Not to mention, ambulances are built tough as hell.
Slosh 112
2/25/2016 11:34am
Thats fresh as! Nice looking on the outside too, would have a shit load of storage in that thing. What engine is she running?
Josh422
2/26/2016 10:38am
Slosh 112 wrote:
Thats fresh as! Nice looking on the outside too, would have a shit load of storage in that thing. What engine is she running?
Thanks guys!

It has the standard 460 that you'd find in a Ford based RV. Luckily gas is cheap right now so I won't hear from haters for a little bit, haha.

The Shop

Josh422
2/26/2016 10:45am
I got most of the cosmetic/trim out of the way, just a few things here and there left to take care of. Should be starting on a box/base for whatever bench seat/fold out sofa I come across- currently nothing on craigslist worthwhile right now. Ideally will wall mount a fold down jack knife type sofa bed.

Markee
Fantasy
1890th
2/26/2016 11:44am
Awesome man! I used the speaker box carpet for my finished out walls in my van and it works so good. I hit my mat with steam from a iron, let dry, glue and repeat with iron with no steam and heat, really lays it down even.

Those outside cabinets are pretty trick!
Slosh 112
2/27/2016 4:20pm
460 V8? we don't see much of those things over here,importing anything other than F250's has only really started becoming more and more popular in only the last few years. Starting to see more Tundras and Silverados on the roads around here, and most moto rigs are either Toyotas Hiace's or a bigger Mercedes Sprinter. I'm going to buy a Hiace sometime this year for more practicality and security. I love seeing all these big rigs you guys have to cart your bikes around in.
Josh422
2/27/2016 9:19pm
Slosh 112 wrote:
460 V8? we don't see much of those things over here,importing anything other than F250's has only really started becoming more and more popular in only...
460 V8? we don't see much of those things over here,importing anything other than F250's has only really started becoming more and more popular in only the last few years. Starting to see more Tundras and Silverados on the roads around here, and most moto rigs are either Toyotas Hiace's or a bigger Mercedes Sprinter. I'm going to buy a Hiace sometime this year for more practicality and security. I love seeing all these big rigs you guys have to cart your bikes around in.
I'd love to have a Sprinter. I think that's your best option these days for moto haulers if you can afford it, I've had several hours logged driving them and handle like a car almost. This thing fits into the budget and I kind of have a habit of taking on projects...
Josh422
2/27/2016 9:28pm
Got a little further. Cut out my flooring, a vinyl diamond plate from Home Depot. I originally was going to cut it out of one piece but it was much easier splitting it in two. Here it is laid out for a test fit. Little trimming needed before I glue it down. Still trying to source a van bench seat locally, or some sort of sofa/bed sleeper....

You can see the heater across from the clock (right) opened up, I think the switch might be bad and need to figure that out so I can get it back together. Couple minor things left to do.

Slosh 112
2/28/2016 12:18am
Sprinters are nice and I'd love to get one but they are out of my price league seeing as I will be paying cash for my next ride, I've been burned too many times by banks so no more loans if I can help it. I'm going to get a LWB Hiace van, nice and close to the ground enough room for two bikes and gear for three people.
2/28/2016 12:36am
Man if I ever start travelling more for mx I might have to do something like this, but my ole 89 dodge ram has been doing a good job of hauling the bike to the track (only a 40 mile trip)
NHtoWA421
2/28/2016 8:18pm
That thing is awesome! Nothing like a 120mph motor van Wink seriously though. This is cooler than the dudes that roll up to shougal with the vw surfer van.
Josh422
3/13/2016 10:17pm
Few more pics and a quick update. Got the floor buttoned up but still need to do the trim (wall cove). Swooped a bench seat out of a dodge van that sits really nice. I need to build a box for it and maybe a cabinet next to it to really finish it. Undecided on how I'll approach it but the seat is secure for now. Installing the first wheel chock soon, I'll have it set up for two bikes. Gotta fix the back heater still but other than that pretty close to done. Don't really plan to get crazy with it, just add a fold out camp bed type deal (opposite side of the bench seat).

Sidecar
4/29/2016 12:03pm
I love a good van thread..... Keep us updated Josh.

Post a reply to: Ambulance Moto Van build

The Latest