Aftermarket Parts?

Barnett117
Fantasy
418th
Edited Date/Time 8/26/2012 7:36pm
How do companies know how to make a product fit like OEM? What I mean is how is that a company like Decal Works can have so many fittings for all the different bike? Or how FMF knows how the exhaust has to fit? Is there some sort of code the companies get from the manufacturer so they can put into a CNC machine or something like that? Please explain how it works. Thanks.
|
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1959th
8/23/2012 4:48pm
I can't speak for those companies, but at Race Tech we bring every new OEM into the shop and spec it out taking various measurements and researching the parts. From there, we have some basic info like leverage ratios and whole lot of other info that our R&D team takes to the drawing board.

From there, we'll look at similar bikes we've done and have a base setting and start testing with as many guys as possible fitting different skill, sizes, ad preferences.
MotoSeat
8/23/2012 5:27pm
At MotoSeat, we get all the new seats in and make our patterns directly from the OEM seat. Once we have the patterns, it is then all about making the different styles of seat covers for that model of bike.
bradmx421
8/23/2012 6:49pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2012 6:51pm
most companies get a bike from a local dealer on loan. then make the parts to fit.....and then when they give the bike back to the dealer they put all the parts they made on the bike and give to the dealer for free for using the bike.

Sometimes if you buy your bike right when it comes out, you can get lucky by calling a Aftermarket Parts company and if they dont have the part they will ask to borrow your bike for test fitting then they give the part to you free.
8/24/2012 7:11am
We did what brad said, although rather than dealers we often used local guys who had just bought the bike. They got free parts, we got something to make our patterns and fixtures off of. If you are making an exhaust, after you get the fixture correct it is pretty easy to stay consistent.

The Shop

lumpy790
8/24/2012 8:59am
We typically use local or sponsored riders. Local guys usually get the hook up if we can install for photo shoots.
tmauto769
Fantasy
1135th
8/26/2012 7:36pm
I can't speak for those companies, but at Race Tech we bring every new OEM into the shop and spec it out taking various measurements and...
I can't speak for those companies, but at Race Tech we bring every new OEM into the shop and spec it out taking various measurements and researching the parts. From there, we have some basic info like leverage ratios and whole lot of other info that our R&D team takes to the drawing board.

From there, we'll look at similar bikes we've done and have a base setting and start testing with as many guys as possible fitting different skill, sizes, ad preferences.
So do you have to buy these or are you doing a similar deal as the others using sponsored riders bikes?

To the OP good question, I have wondered how the graphics companies come up with all the new bike templates so fast and never thought to ask on here.

Post a reply to: Aftermarket Parts?

The Latest