98 yz125 shift shaft replacement

pmshortt2
Hey guys, I am new to dirt bikes and am learning to work on them. This is my first dirt bike so a lot of stuff has been being replaced but I'm learning a lot in the process so it's no biggie. Anyways my shift lever broke (splines messed up) so I tried to take it off and the bolt broke. So I had to get under there and drill the bolt out. Ended up kind of grazing the shift shaft that comes out of the transmission. I think at least. Either that or the shaft splines were already messed up. With my new shift lever I rode for about 30 minutes last night. I then rode for about 45 minutes tonight and all the sudden couldn't get down into 1st at all. Then pulled it into the garage and see that the lever isn't moving the shaft when I go to downshift to 1st (just the lever moves) so I took the lever off and the splines are messed up looking on one side. Anyways I'm wondering how hard of a job is this. I see I can get a new OEM shift shaft assembly with the other little parts for $80. Is this something that a somewhat mechanically inclined person can do in an hour or 2 or what?
|
Paw Paw
10/23/2016 4:49pm
Yes you can do it, but I would suggest also getting a service manual so you can see how all the parts go together and thus do it correctly the first time. It's not a complicated job, but there are several parts that have to be removed to change the shaft out. You will need clutch side cover gasket, coolant and engine oil at least plus the new shaft.

Paw Paw
pmshortt2
10/23/2016 5:14pm
Paw Paw wrote:
Yes you can do it, but I would suggest also getting a service manual so you can see how all the parts go together and thus...
Yes you can do it, but I would suggest also getting a service manual so you can see how all the parts go together and thus do it correctly the first time. It's not a complicated job, but there are several parts that have to be removed to change the shaft out. You will need clutch side cover gasket, coolant and engine oil at least plus the new shaft.

Paw Paw
Would you consider eBay a bad or good place to get a Yamaha service manual? And also why would I need coolant? I'm also guessing you gotta drain the bottom end oil when you do this, that's why you say oil?
Paw Paw
10/23/2016 7:21pm Edited Date/Time 10/23/2016 7:22pm
Yes a OEM service manual for you bike can come from E-bay.
Yes you have to drain the trans oil and the coolant to replace the shift shaft. You also have to remove the clutch basket. You have to also reinstall the clutch actuator are in the correct position this is why a service manual would be very helpful as you have not done this type of work previously.
You can also visit some of the OEM parts supply houses on line and look at the parts drawing to see what you are getting into as a helpful guide.
Paw Paw
pmshortt2
10/23/2016 7:40pm
Paw Paw wrote:
Yes a OEM service manual for you bike can come from E-bay. Yes you have to drain the trans oil and the coolant to replace the...
Yes a OEM service manual for you bike can come from E-bay.
Yes you have to drain the trans oil and the coolant to replace the shift shaft. You also have to remove the clutch basket. You have to also reinstall the clutch actuator are in the correct position this is why a service manual would be very helpful as you have not done this type of work previously.
You can also visit some of the OEM parts supply houses on line and look at the parts drawing to see what you are getting into as a helpful guide.
Paw Paw
Thank you my friend. Honestly I'm glad my first bike is 18 years old lol. Even though I'm replacing things left and right and stuff keeps breaking, I'm learning a lot on the maintenance aspect. Thanks for the help again, Ima be sure to buy a manual. Cool

Post a reply to: 98 yz125 shift shaft replacement

The Latest