250SX Gearbox Failures

Gazza
Edited Date/Time 4/4/2014 12:39am
Almost a year ago I bought a 2009 KTM 250SX, first ride out it wasn't shifting into 1st gear quite as nice as I wanted so I split the cases to find someone had ground the dogs. Cleaned and thoroughly inspected all the other gears, replaced the set, replaced an iffy bearing, new gaskets, new clutch and back together.

Ran for a few months then it sent a tooth off 2nd gear out of the case, didn't do too much damage to the inside, a bit of bruising on 4th gear so I replaced both 2nd and 4th, had the case welded, replaced all of the bearings and seals, complete new gasket set, replated the cylinder matched to new piston, generally overhauled everything.

I've done less than 10 hours on it being rebuilt and it's done 2nd gear again, unfortunately this time the teeth didn't escape and there is more damage. It had just had a fresh oil change and had been running fine. Anyone else ever have trouble like this before? I've never owned a ktm before, neither have I blown a box before in all the years I've been riding. It seems absolutely bizarre that a new gearset would fail so quickly.

Not particularly happy with it's reliability!
|
4/3/2014 3:16pm
I ran my 2011 SX 250 for 180 hours without replacing anything in the gearbox, never had a problem with it.
Gazza
4/4/2014 12:39am
Yeah I'm kind of thinking it's just a lemon. And I've reached the limit of money I'm willing to pour into it, well post the rebuild I now have to do again!

It's a shame as I've had a KX250 and and RM250 before and this is just such a better bike in terms of the power delivery which is unreal and it's so good in the air. Oh well, one day I'll buy one new..

Post a reply to: 250SX Gearbox Failures

The Latest