Edited Date/Time 10/21/2016 12:47pm
can someone please help me with my bike, I just got a 2017 150 sx and its running rich with a bit of spooge coming out the exhaust , my main problem is thou my 1st and second gear are really boggy until I get in higher rpms I'm running 40:1 with good syn. oil, and I'm in Ontario Canada my elevation is about 186 m, I'm guessing its my pilot I'm just not smart when it comes to carbs just know the simple stuff, its setup from factory right now for 301m-750m ASO 1.5 IJ 45 NDL 43-74 POS 3 MJ 470, someone please help I love the bike but 1st and 2nd gear are driving me mad, also the plug is really dark and oily , I have 17.5 hours on it , haven't fouled the plug yet for being to rich, but my oil I use says it prevents fouling so I'm guessing that's the only reason I haven't yet. Thanks
|
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
9/7/2016 9:22pm
I think he said sea level. Wouldn't hurt to try anyways. Just make sure it ain't running lean up top.

The Shop

brocsdad
9/8/2016 8:29am
The 2017's went to Mikuni (due to vendor pricing) and they have jetting issues. The needle is the problem and the only company I know of with a fix is JD Jetting. They just released a kit last week.

My son is moving off the Supermini KX and I have been researching this but luckily I found a National Build 16 model with 4 hours.

Good Luck!
slipdog
9/8/2016 9:13am
brocsdad wrote:
The 2017's went to Mikuni (due to vendor pricing) and they have jetting issues. The needle is the problem and the only company I know of...
The 2017's went to Mikuni (due to vendor pricing) and they have jetting issues. The needle is the problem and the only company I know of with a fix is JD Jetting. They just released a kit last week.

My son is moving off the Supermini KX and I have been researching this but luckily I found a National Build 16 model with 4 hours.

Good Luck!
As in the 250sx thread, I got the JD kit for my TC 250 and it still runs like crap, just different. JD's needles made my bike hit harder in the mid, but bog down lower. Different, but not better. I'm going to check the reed deal today as some suggested, but not sold on JD's kit right now because it runs better with the stock needle and JD's supplied 32.5 pilot.
9/8/2016 9:18am
brocsdad wrote:
The 2017's went to Mikuni (due to vendor pricing) and they have jetting issues. The needle is the problem and the only company I know of...

Good Luck!
slipdog wrote:
As in the 250sx thread, I got the JD kit for my TC 250 and it still runs like crap, just different. JD's needles made my...
As in the 250sx thread, I got the JD kit for my TC 250 and it still runs like crap, just different. JD's needles made my bike hit harder in the mid, but bog down lower. Different, but not better. I'm going to check the reed deal today as some suggested, but not sold on JD's kit right now because it runs better with the stock needle and JD's supplied 32.5 pilot.
Ya no i wouldnt of wanted to do that anyways their must be a good jetting setup with the stock needles and jets the bike came with. Thanks thou let me know if u figure anything else out , cause ya i dont want whatever i do to affect the mid and top range , its just 1-2nd gear that are boggy.
slipdog
9/8/2016 9:37am
SXRIDER17 wrote:
Ya no i wouldnt of wanted to do that anyways their must be a good jetting setup with the stock needles and jets the bike came...
Ya no i wouldnt of wanted to do that anyways their must be a good jetting setup with the stock needles and jets the bike came with. Thanks thou let me know if u figure anything else out , cause ya i dont want whatever i do to affect the mid and top range , its just 1-2nd gear that are boggy.
Since these carbs are new to the bikes it will take a little time to figure out. while the 250 and 150 are a little different, they both have the same issues. Mine had a 42.5pilot with a 43-73 needle at #3 and runs much better with 32.5 and 43-73 #2. I was actually thinking of buying the 43-74 that you have stock because it is leaner in the first 1/4 throttle openings. I think you would benefit a lot by dropping your pilot down somewhere into the 30's to lean out the initial roll on from idle
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
9/8/2016 1:10pm
SXRIDER17 wrote:
Ya no i wouldnt of wanted to do that anyways their must be a good jetting setup with the stock needles and jets the bike came...
Just as an fyi, jetting has nothing to do with gears. A poorly jetted bike will run like shit in every gear.
erik_94COBRA
9/8/2016 4:08pm
On the KTM 150, I'd be tempted to try the jetting from a YZ125 (410 / 40). Rare to hear complaints about bad jetting on them and they use the same needle and carburetor. I'm also happy with the stock needle on my CR250 (with TMX) for 250 owners considering other options.
Andy_White
9/8/2016 10:22pm
its all needle position, simple fix. My bike did the same thing and I actually fouled 2 plugs... but it's a whole different bike now it rips +get a 51 tooth rear sprocket
9/9/2016 6:18pm
so I deff made a lot of progress tonight with my bike running better that's forshure, I just decided to be patient cause I wasn't busy tonight and just really messed around with the air mixture and idle screw ,wanted to try that first before I started to mess with the jets, I'm 1 3/4 out on the air mixture and not shure how many turns out with the idle , lost track and I don't even wanna touch it now to find out lol , it idles at a perfect speed and when I snap open the throttle quick its very responsive now, not boggy anymore, and goes back to a nice idle without trying to die out so basically I think I'm about as good as its going to get right now with the stock jetting setup , I think with a diff sprocket it will be awesome, what u guys think, will one more tooth make a difference, would it make it more snappier on the low end but not as fast on the top end , is that how it works or? would would u guys do?
9/9/2016 6:23pm
the thing is thou that 1st and 2nd gear are already so quick right now that I don't think I want them any quicker , but I'm open to ideas that I would try anyways so let me know what u think, sprockets arnt that expensive and it probably good that I get a few options that I can choose from at home anyways , so let me know , thanks.
XC706
Fantasy
668th
9/10/2016 9:25pm Edited Date/Time 10/21/2016 7:15pm
Mine was not ride-able with the jets that come with the bike. The issue is the needle, at 4000-6000 ft Elevation with leanest needle that comes with the bike 43-74 in the top clip it shoots ducks through the mid range.
Took 2 1/2 months to get a leaner needle, but finally got it running decent. 470 MJ, 42-76 top clip position, 40 PJ, 1 1/2 turns out on the AS. I race XC so I went up to a 49T rear sprocket,
You are considerably lower elevation than me so I would start at 480 MJ, 42-76 2nd clip, 42,5 PJ, 1 1/2 AS.
The other option is the JD kit which I will test in the near future.
Don't waste your time trying to order needles from Sudco - the CDN Mikuni distributor, they don't stock any nor will they bring any in. Yamaha Canada is another dead end - they have zero stock on any size YZ125 needles. I ordered a needle outta Yamaha Japan 6 weeks ago, I was suppose to have it 2 weeks ago - nothing yet.
KTM finally has stock on them.
Your floats will be off by a mile, I have been into 7 or 8 2017 Husky/KTM 150, 250,300 and all had a float level of 5,5 to 5.8 mm. At this setting you will be going through fuel like a Funny car. Buddies XC250 with the big tank ran out of fuel on a casual 35 KM trail ride. He needed another litre to get back to the truck, so 35 KM = 11 litres of fuel.
Mikuni's spec is 8.7 mm..
9/10/2016 9:36pm
Yes! , actually i am going thru gas like a funny car lol, i told my dealer that, what do u think they said.....thats normal for a high reving motocross bike. Yes i know its goin to be bad buti knew it shouldnt be going thru that much gas. Put it this way , when my bike got to 12 hours, i already went thru 2 ,20 liter cans thats not normal im pretty sure lol
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
9/11/2016 1:24am
SXRIDER17 wrote:
so I deff made a lot of progress tonight with my bike running better that's forshure, I just decided to be patient cause I wasn't busy...
so I deff made a lot of progress tonight with my bike running better that's forshure, I just decided to be patient cause I wasn't busy tonight and just really messed around with the air mixture and idle screw ,wanted to try that first before I started to mess with the jets, I'm 1 3/4 out on the air mixture and not shure how many turns out with the idle , lost track and I don't even wanna touch it now to find out lol , it idles at a perfect speed and when I snap open the throttle quick its very responsive now, not boggy anymore, and goes back to a nice idle without trying to die out so basically I think I'm about as good as its going to get right now with the stock jetting setup , I think with a diff sprocket it will be awesome, what u guys think, will one more tooth make a difference, would it make it more snappier on the low end but not as fast on the top end , is that how it works or? would would u guys do?
Yeah if you go up 1tooth in the rear it's more snap, revs faster but you lose the top speed.

Go down 1tooth and there's less snap, but gain top speed.
9/11/2016 7:12am
So going down 1 tooth , would that make 1st and 2 nd a little longer, cause 1st and 2nd are really short fast shifts right now, first is basically pretty usless unless im going up a steep lose gravel hill or somethin.
9/12/2016 5:44pm
Set the float level. They are too high from the factory. Then drop a pilot size and go up a groove on the needle. That will get it close. It needs a leaner needle to be perfect though.
10/16/2016 4:24pm
I know I'm late to this forum but I have a 17' and I have a 45 pilot and a 620 main jet I know it's huge but it ran lean with a 600 and the next size bigger finally got it to pull hard also have the richest needle that the bike came with in it. Sounds crazy but it works
XC706
Fantasy
668th
10/16/2016 6:50pm
I know I'm late to this forum but I have a 17' and I have a 45 pilot and a 620 main jet I know it's...
I know I'm late to this forum but I have a 17' and I have a 45 pilot and a 620 main jet I know it's huge but it ran lean with a 600 and the next size bigger finally got it to pull hard also have the richest needle that the bike came with in it. Sounds crazy but it works
How many thousands of feet below sea level are you riding at to pull the richest needle and a 620 main? Are you on a trail ride to the center of the earth.
Is your bike missing the ignition side crank seal because something is really wacky here.
10/16/2016 8:06pm
I know I'm late to this forum but I have a 17' and I have a 45 pilot and a 620 main jet I know it's...
XC706 wrote:
How many thousands of feet below sea level are you riding at to pull the richest needle and a 620 main? Are you on a trail...
How many thousands of feet below sea level are you riding at to pull the richest needle and a 620 main? Are you on a trail ride to the center of the earth.
Is your bike missing the ignition side crank seal because something is really wacky here.
I'm at 2000 feet above sea level and I race expert level hare scrambles and no it's in perfect shape I just keep pouring fuel at it
arvid
10/17/2016 1:59am
No way 620 main that's crazy big .
10/17/2016 2:58pm
Don't worry about this topic, problem solved , put the brand new Lectron Mule hv in it like a week n a half ago and the bike runs amazing now.

10/17/2016 3:09pm
No more jetting for me , sick of messing with that shitty mikuni , they over carburated the 17s. 38mm is to big for a 150. Bike is unreal now 17s are perfect besides the carb issue, you can set the mikuni up good but it's finicky, easy fix with the Lectron, 0-10 000 ft no jetting , warm to cold no jetting , a Lectron carb is as close to efi is ur going to get for 2 stroke as of now anyways, no regrets for me , worth every penny of the $700 I spent on it.
Pirate421
10/17/2016 3:35pm
Nice! Been saying it all a long to my buddies. If you buy a new two stroke no matter how good you think you are with jetting it will never get easier than a lectron. You could be a jetting guru but with my bike you'd still have to change it every time the damn wind blew. Not anymore lol

Post a reply to: 2017

The Latest