2015 YZ250F PROBLEMS!

GouldRacing25
Fantasy
1639th
5/8/2015 11:59am
Hey bud I also have a 15 yz250f but like EVERY yamaha I've ever had i never have issues BUT my dealer would back me 100% if something like that happened to me!! Your dealer needs to step up and give you a bike or do EVERYTHING possible to get yamaha to make it right.. call the dealer 30x a day until they get the point.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
5/10/2015 6:53am
Stator installed yesterday and guess what? Still running like crap.... Have another apt with a different Yamaha dealer on the 19th... 2 LLQ missed in the mean time....
tomm55x
5/10/2015 7:30am
Wow sorry to hear about all the bad luck you are having, I have a 2014 yz250f that I haven't had one issue with, I'm interested to see the outcome of your situation and if they find the problem.
Slosh 112
5/11/2015 4:43pm
Yeah bro sounds like you are making every attempt to fix this bike with your own money when it seems to be a technical issue, that a dealer should help with, especially considering its a new bike and won't even make it through a practice session, which being a purpouse built motocross bike one could argue is its primary design function.

My YZ450F started doing the exact same thing last weekend, ran the weekend before, stripped it down and gave it a hit with my small pressure washer and after that when i tried to start it to burn the leftover water off it was a total bastard to start, which is weird because I've never had dramas starting it. EVER... so I went to put a new plug in it and the plug lead came out of the end of the spark plug cap/coil, i noticed the very end of the lead was split so i just cut 3mm off the lead and twisted it back into the screw in the cap, put a new plug in it and BLAMO! ran great! UNTIll it warmed up at the track.... revs fine under power but breaks down on the rev down or as soon as i pull the clutch it dies and massive backfire... Dealer said they have never had any issues like that with the FI Yammy's, I'm going to plug my power tuner in and see if any fault codes come up...

The Shop

sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
5/16/2015 8:53am
Tried the bike today, it started up today and ran good. So we go to the track. 3 laps and it shut down, and will not stay running!
5/18/2015 6:06am
this mite sound a little crazy but we had a waterpump shaft fail on a 15 and run for some time before the gear came off yours could be running super hot .....
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
5/18/2015 6:48am
this mite sound a little crazy but we had a waterpump shaft fail on a 15 and run for some time before the gear came off...
this mite sound a little crazy but we had a waterpump shaft fail on a 15 and run for some time before the gear came off yours could be running super hot .....
Now that is a possibility! That would explain a couple of things... I will check it!
mxtech1
5/18/2015 6:56am
If I were you I would be blowing Yamaha's phone lines up demanding some customer support. FYI....they do have an engineering/customer support group that specifically deals with cases like yours that the dealership isn't able to solve.

Before you call get all your ducks in a row about what has happened. Document everything the dealers have done, how much money you've spent, and how much time you have lost.

Yamaha Customer Relations
(800) 962-7926
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
5/18/2015 7:46am
I have spoken with them. We have another apt tomorrow with another dealer. They have prespoken with Yamaha and "HOPEFULLY" we are going to get some answers. As of yesterday, and 3 laps the bike was running bad. Our plan is to get the bike "acting up" and carry straight to the dealer for evaluation instead of letting it set over night or days and clear up.
5/19/2015 4:54am
I'm interested to hear what the result ends up being. I have a 15 yz250f that has just started doing the same thing ( not quite as bad ) I was running stock pipe and ignition and i never had any problems. I installed a get ignition and athena pipe, and started having problems. Wondering if your running the stock ecu and pipe?
Spoke to a buddy who is a mechanic for ktm race team here in Australia and he says that the Yamaha mx2 guys here change out the stator after each round.
smoothies862
Fantasy
676th
5/19/2015 6:55pm Edited Date/Time 5/19/2015 6:56pm
pro engine builder told me check the water pump shaft just like the 14 on the 15s. he has seen some come with the old parts. those bikes were june builds.

stator after each round?Unsure

i just hit 9.5 hrs this past weekend. fingers crossed.
Zycki11
5/20/2015 1:57pm
Very strange, I have had zero issues with my 14. I hope you get it figured out.

slackinoff
5/20/2015 7:12pm
Here is mine to hopefully send some good vibes toward your bike.

sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
5/21/2015 8:21am
Update; Bike is at dealer. Got a call late yesterday. The TPS voltage is varying when the bike starts running bad. Finally got it on the computer, not just the tuner. Now, the bad news. Doesn't appear to be one available anywhere in the country... There are searching one, a Yamaha rep is trying to track one down for us!

ANYONE know where one is?????
walent215
5/21/2015 9:37am
They won't give you one off one of their n bikes and replace it when it comes in?
walent215
5/21/2015 9:38am
After all you've been through that's the least they can do.....imo of course
Zycki11
5/22/2015 5:53am
They should be pulling one off any bike that's in a crate, or overnighting that shit too you.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
5/22/2015 12:11pm
Yamaha got one out to them. I didn't buy the bike from this dealership so I really don't expect them to pull one off a new bike. Hope to have it by Tuesday or Wed!
m121c
5/23/2015 8:02pm
Well after seeing Jmarts bike problems I can't help but think this is becoming a rather common issue(s) with the new generation yzf's...

I have not had as bad (yet) of problems you have had, but you aren't alone. I picked up my '15 and since then I have put barely 6 hours on the bike. EVERY time I have washed the thing it does not start. 50 kicks and multiple attempts at bump starting it will finally try coming to life. It'll shut off instantly a few times and then finally run fine.

After reading multiple topics and talking to a lot of local amateur racers/teams this seems to be a common thing. I was told by many (including yamaha) to try dielectric grease.. tried that TWICE since about the 2-3 hour mark. Next step kill switch, have both tried drying it out as well as completely disconnecting it.. no such luck.

How does it run once I get it started? Perfect, couldn't ask for a better stock motor, until last weekend at a Pro-Am. Lining up for the 2nd moto (I didn't wash inbetween moto's knowing it wouldn't fire) I go to start the bike and thing didn't want to run. 10 kicks it fires, then dies. It did this 3 times each time taking multiple attempts at starting it and it acting like it couldn't idle. Finally I get 19 year old kid pissed and made the bike run. Seemed to snap right out of it.. then the bogging started. It sat there and bogged like a 2 stroke every time I revved the thing, it was trying to shut off! I warmed it up before I got up there so it wasn't like it was cold, and it acted the same way idle wise.

I made a Vital account specifically just to say all this, I didn't mean to hi-jack the topic with my problems sorry haha. With everything you have gone through I would be claiming it was a lemon and wanting a new bike. In my opinion Yamaha really needs to step up and take some responsibility or at-least look into it, not just leave it up to your local dealer. Calling the tech line on Tuesday to hopefully get the ball rolling on figuring out was is wrong with my brand new bike.

If it I weren't in love with the bike I would really be considering another color.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
5/24/2015 6:25am
m121c wrote:
Well after seeing Jmarts bike problems I can't help but think this is becoming a rather common issue(s) with the new generation yzf's... I have not...
Well after seeing Jmarts bike problems I can't help but think this is becoming a rather common issue(s) with the new generation yzf's...

I have not had as bad (yet) of problems you have had, but you aren't alone. I picked up my '15 and since then I have put barely 6 hours on the bike. EVERY time I have washed the thing it does not start. 50 kicks and multiple attempts at bump starting it will finally try coming to life. It'll shut off instantly a few times and then finally run fine.

After reading multiple topics and talking to a lot of local amateur racers/teams this seems to be a common thing. I was told by many (including yamaha) to try dielectric grease.. tried that TWICE since about the 2-3 hour mark. Next step kill switch, have both tried drying it out as well as completely disconnecting it.. no such luck.

How does it run once I get it started? Perfect, couldn't ask for a better stock motor, until last weekend at a Pro-Am. Lining up for the 2nd moto (I didn't wash inbetween moto's knowing it wouldn't fire) I go to start the bike and thing didn't want to run. 10 kicks it fires, then dies. It did this 3 times each time taking multiple attempts at starting it and it acting like it couldn't idle. Finally I get 19 year old kid pissed and made the bike run. Seemed to snap right out of it.. then the bogging started. It sat there and bogged like a 2 stroke every time I revved the thing, it was trying to shut off! I warmed it up before I got up there so it wasn't like it was cold, and it acted the same way idle wise.

I made a Vital account specifically just to say all this, I didn't mean to hi-jack the topic with my problems sorry haha. With everything you have gone through I would be claiming it was a lemon and wanting a new bike. In my opinion Yamaha really needs to step up and take some responsibility or at-least look into it, not just leave it up to your local dealer. Calling the tech line on Tuesday to hopefully get the ball rolling on figuring out was is wrong with my brand new bike.

If it I weren't in love with the bike I would really be considering another color.
No problem, glad someone else posted with the EXACT same conditions! I KNEW I wasn't the only one!!!! Like I said 3 BRAND news ones were doing it at a small local race last fall. We have missed many many races the same way. Sorry to hear man!

I am praying that this TPS sensor maybe the problem. I have noticed the original part number has been changed. I am wondering if there was a defective batch? Someone knows what the problem is....

Haven't seen a blue bike shut off at the Nats yet.... I thought the bug may have gotten Martin yesterday! I was thinking, oh heck recall on now lol!!!! Guess not the same problem, mine wouldn't have ran 3 lapsUnsure
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
5/24/2015 2:22pm
I just watched 250 moto 1 from Glen Helen and when Martins bike wouldn't start, They quoted him saying something along the lines of, "sometimes when you was the bike these things happen." Around the 13-14minute of the broadcast...

Deffinitly makes me think this is a bigger issue then just your bike..
m121c
5/24/2015 5:36pm
It's a bummer forsure... shouldn't have to be gambling when buying a brand new bike. And if for some odd reason the bike you just invested at a minimum of $7k does have a issue, you should have full confidence the manufacturer will take care of it. Unfortunately the consumer can get royally screwed by a manufacturer with no warranty or any lemon laws in place (that I know of) to protect off road consumers.

Will update when I talk to Yamaha tech's on Tuesday.

Hopefully we can get these issues fixed and get back to enjoying our new bikes!
tek14
5/24/2015 11:45pm
Lot of TPS sensor problems on Kawasaki and KTM bikes around 2011-12. When washing bike you could get TPS wet or even broken. Both moved sensor on safer Place and put cover around.
Sounds like TPS problem of broken waterpump.
tek14
5/25/2015 2:48am
And cdi box can also let you down.. borrow one from someone and test.
motodad136
5/27/2015 12:04am
Very interesting post. I have recently had an issue with my sons bike witch seems to be similar to this. My son just got off superminis. At the end of 2014. I bought him the 2015 yz250f at the end of December and it has been running perfectly for 19.4 hrs then while practicing at Cahuilla getting ready for the lcq for mammoth witch he placed 10th in last year. He hit the finish line jump threw a nice whip like he always does with no problems and in mid air the bike died causing the nose to drop and with no power to try and bring it back he landed sideways and went for a whole different ride (cartwheels) and snapped his femur and tore his ACL. And I was so confused when he told me the bike died. I never had any idea this could ever happen so that is when I started looking on the Internet to see if this has ever happened to anybody else and why. So I appreciate that you have posted this and if you ever find out why this is happening I would love to know what I should do. Even though my son won't be able to ride for quite awhile I won't let him ride the bike again until I figure out why this happened. Sorry for the long winded post I just wanted to explain how dangerous this issue could be. If anybody has anymore answers or where I should start to solve this problem I would appreciate it. His bike also restarted 10-15 min. After the crash.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
5/27/2015 10:46am
Yep, dying in the air has happened to my son more than once! I am so sorry your son got hurt!

The TPS sensor for the 15 is NOW DISCONTINUED! Yamaha did find one for us and sent it, at my expense. Hopefully they will install it today or tomorrow.

The new sensor will not be available until this Friday at the earliest, I was told. They will be sending me a new one, at my expense to install as soon as available.

I am looking at this from a common sense stand point, sounds like to me they know the old sensor is defective. Why not just replace them before someone else gets hurt!
jhansen510
Fantasy
3595th
5/27/2015 12:07pm
If they admit responsibility they can not later deny being responsible when a class action lawsuit is filed against them.
m121c
5/27/2015 12:41pm
That sucks! Sorry to hear that motodad136.

Well called Yamaha yesterday after 3 attempts, putting put on hold for 10+ minutes and being hung up on, I finally got through today. Not that the phone call was entirely helpful, I just got a "Never heard of this ever, I will report the VIN, look into it, and then get back to you" response, as I have gotten from every Yamaha rep/support (Never hear from them). The lady was understanding and apologetic for my problems but I am yet to see a claim of responsibility from them.

After finally getting the thing fired up, I rode in Monday to see if it was going to run weird as it did at the last race. Had no issues running/starting wise at the track. Washed it up yesterday afternoon, went outside to try starting it today and as expected, no fire. After about the 30th kick I just gave up and called up Yamaha.

So at the moment it seems I have Yamaha stalling on this , my bike is going to take all week to get fired up, and even then I can't trust it 100%. Probably going to miss yet another weekend. This is starting to get old real fast. Shouldn't have to put my own time and money into Yamaha's problem.

At this point I'm just looking for the answer to where I send the bill, and/or the bike all together.

Post a reply to: 2015 YZ250F PROBLEMS!

The Latest