2015 Ktm sxf250 radiator cap?? 2.1 bar??

eldebj593
So I baught a 2015 Ktm sxf 250 it came with larger aftermarket radiators. Last time I was at the track (wareham MX) I noticed a couple drops of fluid dripping from radiator overflow line not like a huge boil over there was no steaming or anything just some fluid dripping on header.., due to Ktm routing the overflow line in the frame wich empties on top of exhaust header.(stupid) my question is the cap that's on there now is 1.8 bar can I go with a 2.1 my local shops sells 2 one is 1.3 bar and the other is 2.1 wich one should I put on. Trying to figure out why I'm loosing coolant... Bad cap?? Not enough air flow ( radiator guards) ? Bad pump? I have checked everything but cap.. All seems good so leaning towards cap. Can I ruin motor by running too high psi cap?(2.1)?? I heard ktms run hot. anyone had similar problem?? I value you guys opinion so any advice would be appreciated
|
Paw Paw
9/25/2016 5:44am
2.1 should work fine.

Paw Paw
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
9/25/2016 8:01am
Changing the cap should help. It might have just been a hot day. If it keeps happening then looking into it deeper but I had many KTM 250f's and only overflowed fluid a few times.

If you overfill your radiator it will spit a little out also.
Sidecar
9/25/2016 11:10am
The higher the pressure the higher temperature the coolant will boil at so going to 2.1 bar will mean your bike will have a higher pressure/temperature when it does open the valve in the cap, this in turn will put more stress on your hoses and also internally on your water pump seal.
I am currently building a sidecar to race in a 3 hour long beach race, deep, wet sand running a KX500 motor and have gone from a 1.1 stock to a 1.4 last year ( we still boiled over ) so am going up to a 1.8 this year but I'm replacing the water pump seal and cover gasket, running new silicone hoses on the motor and new heavy duty auto hose from the motor across to the rad that is mounted on the front of the sidecar. I have also fitted an electric fan to assist in cooling during slow running, a lot of factory 250fs run fans in hot weather, you could look into this option.
I have been doing a lot of research in this area the last month or so, hope this helps you out.
DuroTools
9/25/2016 12:54pm
If it's only drops of coolant than the 2.1 may be perfect but if you still have issues after that I think KTM sells a high flow waterpump kit (but not sure if for your exact year and model) . It has a larger impeller and a spacer to make room for the extended impeller. I would check into this cause in my opinion a cooler running bike will have less issues and reduce maintenance over time so the 2.1 might just be a bandaid. I've gone form 1.1, to 1.6 to 1.8 but never over that.

The Shop

lumpy790
9/25/2016 3:30pm
A stock KTM cap is a 1.8 bar and a 2 bar will be a little better. Our KTM radiators come with a 2.0 bar cap.

Post a reply to: 2015 Ktm sxf250 radiator cap?? 2.1 bar??

The Latest