2015 CRF forks junk ?

JkopMx
4/21/2015 9:49am
450 or 250?

We've had nothing but good luck with the 15 version on both .. 2.5 weight oil and the right valving . DECKER at ENZO set us up

On the 250 u add a second schrader valve with low pressure.

450 i made pretty decent with 2.5 and stock valving . But then it was too plush with stock valving .. So Enzo set me up with one of the best sets yet ..
motomike894
4/21/2015 3:56pm
450 and they've been valved and changed again once already there just not as plush as stuff I've had in past and when comes to bigger jumps or hard landings I'm done I've never had a bike that clanks the forks out about wore a hole threw fender haha.

I've tried more psi turning clickers badically all way in it'll be better in one aspect just as bad rest time.

I'm going try adding little more oil and see if helps but I'm not optimistic.
mx836
4/21/2015 6:31pm
I'm no suspension expert, but I've heard that adding oil in air forks really makes a big difference with bottoming resistance so you might be OK.
Justin345
4/23/2015 7:02am
Adding 10cc of oil in the fork will help with bottoming resistance but your suspension person should have brought that up as an option. I've had multiple sets of air forks (KYB1 and TAC) and love them, but I'm 175lb. With your weight and speed, you may struggle to find a set up that works due to the nature of air forks. To get them stiff enough to not bottom out on you, the air pressure needed for that might make them extremely harsh. That's where the tuning abilities of your suspension person comes into play to see if they can valve it to make it stiffer without the extra air pressure. I'm not sure who you're currently using but it may be worth talking to one of the bigger companies that have done extensive research and have experience with air forks to see if they can get a set up to work with your weight and speed. Good luck with whatever you decide.

The Shop

motomike894
4/23/2015 3:13pm
The guy that does my suspension is who told me to try adding the oil, I would think with enough valving / shim changing could make them stiff enough but not harsh.

Right now there somewhat harsh and bottom out way way too easy like about killing me, IM going to ride this weekend more after adding oil see what happens.

thanks
pete24
4/23/2015 4:21pm
your problem mite be related to " the guy" that does your suspension, "some guy' isnt always the best option, and the little guys that think they can compete with the likes of FC and real suspension companies, are all smokin weed stop trying to save money and send it to a real place, and claiming that your an A rider and not knowing this surprises me, i used to b a heavy A rider and now im a fat old guy but thats a story for another day
slipdog
4/23/2015 4:50pm
I rode a '15 450 with an FC set up that a friend hated and set at their recommended settings it was pretty harsh and springy. I ended up 4-5 clicks in on rebound and low speed compression, 4-5 out on high speed compression and it worked just fine.
colson973
4/24/2015 10:40am
Keep in mind if you have never had air forks before they can be a totally different feel from spring forks. Im a Race Tech Center in MN and we have had good luck with the 2015 forks but some people just don't like air forks. I have a 2013 CRF450 and I actually bolted on a pair of KYB SSS forks off a Yamaha on my 450 because I didn't like the air forks. They worked incredibly well! That bike would have been the bike of the year with those forks from the factory it was that big of a change.

However back to your problem. My guess is the following on tuning. Harshness is being cause by one of these factors, midvalve is too tight and needs more float, the High PSI you are running for your weight is creating too much seal drag which can only be slightly fixed by installing SKF seals, LSV valving and compression valving needs to be stiffened to keep the bike higher in the stroke, Forks are not aligned properly when installed and they are binding at midstroke.

On bottoming, Higher oil lever needed, Much stiffer compression stack and LSV stack (this should not make the bike harsh just stiffer overall, harshness is coming from the above issues)

just my 2 cents, FWIW: KYB SSS forks on that bike works incredibly well. Minor mods needed to retrofit.
SLO1667
4/24/2015 11:17am
colson973 wrote:
Keep in mind if you have never had air forks before they can be a totally different feel from spring forks. Im a Race Tech Center...
Keep in mind if you have never had air forks before they can be a totally different feel from spring forks. Im a Race Tech Center in MN and we have had good luck with the 2015 forks but some people just don't like air forks. I have a 2013 CRF450 and I actually bolted on a pair of KYB SSS forks off a Yamaha on my 450 because I didn't like the air forks. They worked incredibly well! That bike would have been the bike of the year with those forks from the factory it was that big of a change.

However back to your problem. My guess is the following on tuning. Harshness is being cause by one of these factors, midvalve is too tight and needs more float, the High PSI you are running for your weight is creating too much seal drag which can only be slightly fixed by installing SKF seals, LSV valving and compression valving needs to be stiffened to keep the bike higher in the stroke, Forks are not aligned properly when installed and they are binding at midstroke.

On bottoming, Higher oil lever needed, Much stiffer compression stack and LSV stack (this should not make the bike harsh just stiffer overall, harshness is coming from the above issues)

just my 2 cents, FWIW: KYB SSS forks on that bike works incredibly well. Minor mods needed to retrofit.
Didn't realize there is "seal drag" with the inner chamber...Thought that only applies to the outer?
colson973
4/24/2015 11:29am
colson973 wrote:
Keep in mind if you have never had air forks before they can be a totally different feel from spring forks. Im a Race Tech Center...

SLO1667 wrote:
Didn't realize there is "seal drag" with the inner chamber...Thought that only applies to the outer?
I forgot to mention I was assuming that motomike894 had a CRF450 with the KYB forks. Those only have 1 air chamber so it drastically effects the seal drag. If it was a 250 then yes seal drag would be close to no issue on the SFF air spring.
motomike894
4/24/2015 11:37am
I have the Kyb psf2 it's a 15 450.

I'm running 36-38 psi.

I added 10cc oil each fork and will see what happens.

The guy that does my stuff has always done a good job with every bike I've had as good as anything else I've ever had but he also doesn't have lot experience with this stuff so I'm kind of a test dummy.
Justin345
4/24/2015 6:15pm
Yea, I chose to go to a big name (pro circuit in my case) for both kyb1 and my TAC forks. I didn't want to be a test dummy for a local person that didn't have any experience with them, and that local person is EXTREMELY knowledgable and an awesome suspension guy. I know it feels like you're cheating on your girlfriend, but you might benefit from going to one of the big companies that know these forks..
DPR250R
4/27/2015 6:29pm
colson973 wrote:

What needs to be done to complete the swap? What year forks work best?

About to pickup a 2013 CRF450...
slipdog
4/27/2015 7:47pm
I've been able to make all the air forks feel like spring forks. Well, except the PSF2 since I haven't done any test with them yet.

Post a reply to: 2015 CRF forks junk ?

The Latest