2014 YZ 250 bogging issues

MP818
Edited Date/Time 5/19/2015 8:15am
I recently purchased a 2014 YZ 250 and let's just say I love it. Best stock bike I have ever ridden in my opinion. Anyways the thing has about 15 hours on it and now has a major bogging/ sputtering problem. I am a pretty aggressive rider and usually burn through 3-5 gallons of fuel during a day of riding. Since I've had it I have mixed it 36:1 with Maxima Castor 927 with just pump 93...I know, get race gas. Oil and air filter is done every ride and sometimes a filter change in the middle of the day. Air box is always clean and fuel is always fresh. When I'm warming it up it sounds good, has pretty good hit and revs good. When I actually start riding he bike is OK off the bottom and then during the mid it is empty. Bogging and sputtering galore! Sometimes on a good straight I'll just hold it wide open to clear it out and sometimes is will for a second and sometimes it won't. By the way, this has only been happening for the last 2 rides which has equalled about 30 minutes. Something I have tried are switching jets, spark plugs, race gas and NOTHING gas worked. Any ideas guys?
|
7/22/2014 6:39pm
If I had the bike in front of me I would check the gas cap check valve, petcock flow and pull the crab and check for trash. Also check that the needle clip hasn't broken allowing the needle to drop and not be lifted with the slide. I know sounds weird, has happened to me twice though. Then check the reeds for a broken pedal or leaky gaskets before I reinstalled the carb.

Is the ignition timing adjustable with the stator plate? If so, make sure it hasn't moved. I'm not sure if it is, I waste most of my life working on fat peoples Harleys.

Perform a compression test to make sure you haven't killed the piston.

I know you said you always run fresh fuel but just make sure there is no water in the gas, anything could happen.

Air leak at the crank seal behind the flywheel could also make it run stupid.

If all this checks out I would say its a jetting issue and would suggest spending some more time swapping jets, adjusting the needle clip position and air screw.
7/23/2014 5:47am
Are you losing any radiator fluid?

I would do all othe stuff above but if you dont find anything obvious start tearing it down. Jetting doesn't randomly change on brand new bikes with 15 hours.
nytsmaC
7/23/2014 6:25am
Maybe spark plug cap or bad connection somewhere in wiring harness.
MP818
7/23/2014 8:53am
OK guys, thanks for the input. Last night I cleaned out all of my connectors to make sure there was no dirt or moisture. They were all good except for what I believe was the throttle sensor, it had some water in it. I checked everything from the power valve, the reed block, piston, and stator/flywheel. All of it was in perfect condition. So last thing I checked was the floats on the carb. They were WAY off! It was letting way too much fuel in to the carb at once so I'm really hoping that little but of water and those floats were all the problem. After inspecting so much of the bike last night it was either what I diagnosed or something electrical.

The Shop

7/23/2014 10:33am
By the way, in stock trim my '13 was way too rich at sea level during times of high humidity. I rejetted main and pilot and dropped the needle. As I modified the motor it became too lean and with the exception of the pilot jet I ended up back at stock jetting. I left the pilot at one size smaller.
MP818
7/23/2014 10:55am
See the weather here in Texas has varied from 105 and humid to 85 and very little humidity since I've had this bike. It has ran great in all conditions. The carb is back at stock settings with a 1 1/4 turns out in the air screw, 178 main and 50 pilot. And the clip is already second from the top
Kawirider
7/24/2014 10:12am
I would run 50/50 vp 110 or c12 with pump I ruined my 12 cylinder and head on mine I ride a classes and had to do top ends every 15 hrs
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
7/24/2014 12:16pm
Did the float and water in the TPS connector fix the problem?

I t actually sounds like a very small air leak. I've found that the method of spraying ether/wd40/propane/etc all over the motor doesn't work very well when it's a small leak.

I created a leak down tester from about $15 worth of stuff from Lowe's. PVC pipe that fits into the intake boot with teflon tape wrapped around it to make it a snug fit. Expanding freeze plug for the exhaust port and a bolt shoved into the power valve vent. Used a gauge with a schrader valve that I picked up in the natural gas section; attached right to the PVC. A couple of pumps with a bicycle tire pump, some soapy water and you're good to go.
7/24/2014 2:15pm
Did the float and water in the TPS connector fix the problem? I t actually sounds like a very small air leak. I've found that the...
Did the float and water in the TPS connector fix the problem?

I t actually sounds like a very small air leak. I've found that the method of spraying ether/wd40/propane/etc all over the motor doesn't work very well when it's a small leak.

I created a leak down tester from about $15 worth of stuff from Lowe's. PVC pipe that fits into the intake boot with teflon tape wrapped around it to make it a snug fit. Expanding freeze plug for the exhaust port and a bolt shoved into the power valve vent. Used a gauge with a schrader valve that I picked up in the natural gas section; attached right to the PVC. A couple of pumps with a bicycle tire pump, some soapy water and you're good to go.
That's pretty cool, Matt!
MotoX85
7/25/2014 2:19pm
I am having the same problem with a 2013 YZ250. Cannot figure it out.

Last week the bike ran for a full 20 minute practice with no issues, then in the second practice the bike started spitting and sputtering with nothing done to the bike between practice. Then I could tturn the bike and then go ride it in the field for about 3-5 minutes running fine and the start sputtering again.

Here is what I have changed/inspected so far. This has been going for about 2 months.

Both crank seals - no difference, Changed gas more times than I can count - no difference, checked reeds with no signs of wear or fatigue, cleaned the carb to many times to count. New rings with a compression test, motor looked brand new (it has less than 20 hours on it. Changed spark plug cap - no difference, changed pipes - FMF, Pro Circuit, Stock - no difference.

Last night I took the stator off of a friends bike and tried that, this solved the problem (but hold on) I rode the bike before the stator change and the bike was running terrible, changed the stator and now it runs great.

After testing I put my old stator back in to confirm that indeed it was the problem and now the bike runs great with the old stator back in. Rode the bike for a good 15 minutes with no issues. My son seems to think it does not pull as good with the old stator but I could not tell any difference.

Also a friend of mine who is a respected mechanic said he has heard of coils doing this and for me to check that next.

As of right now the bike is running fine, we will see when we go for our next practice session.

Any help on this would be appreciated because if this does not work, I am at wits end.
RyanLester761
7/25/2014 2:36pm
Wow, what a headache! I have a similar issue on my 2001 CR125. I loaned the bike to a friend and he said it popped and sputtered after the second practice on a race day. He brought it back to me and I can't even get it to start! I haven't gotten too involved yet. Mine has an after market stator. I'm curious if that's my problem too.
MotoX85
7/25/2014 6:52pm
At this point it is the stator. When I put the original stator back in and thought it was running good, my son actually said it sounded different to him and seemed like the rear wheel was wanting to lock up.

I put the other stator back in and the bike instantly perked up and my son got in a 20 minute session with no issues. We will see of course but at this point I would check you stator with one off of someones bike. They are pretty easy to get off and on if you have a flywheel puller and you can get to the harness without removing anything. Takes 5 minutes with the puller.

I'll be ordering one tomorrow but will keep you posted if it reverts back to not running.
MotoX85
7/25/2014 7:56pm Edited Date/Time 7/25/2014 7:57pm
Do a compression test before you order anything.
Done, good compression. Barely 2 hours on new rings. Ring gap was good also, cylinder looked almost untouched.

Thanks for the input though
MotoX85
7/25/2014 7:59pm
Also I have kept the barrowed stator on the bike and it is continuing running good. This extra bike sits in my garage and the owner of it is lucky to ride it every 6 months so no problem borrowing it until one comes in.
Paw Paw 271
7/26/2014 6:50pm
Do a compression test before you order anything.
MotoX85 wrote:
Done, good compression. Barely 2 hours on new rings. Ring gap was good also, cylinder looked almost untouched.

Thanks for the input though
So what was the compression reading?
mikeyz250
5/9/2015 4:40am
MotoX85 wrote:
At this point it is the stator. When I put the original stator back in and thought it was running good, my son actually said it...
At this point it is the stator. When I put the original stator back in and thought it was running good, my son actually said it sounded different to him and seemed like the rear wheel was wanting to lock up.

I put the other stator back in and the bike instantly perked up and my son got in a 20 minute session with no issues. We will see of course but at this point I would check you stator with one off of someones bike. They are pretty easy to get off and on if you have a flywheel puller and you can get to the harness without removing anything. Takes 5 minutes with the puller.

I'll be ordering one tomorrow but will keep you posted if it reverts back to not running.
i have a 2014 yz 250 with same issue took all the same steps as all of you ( motox85)now that is a year later how is it running and was it the stator??????
pete24
5/9/2015 2:13pm
ur owners manuel tells how to test the stator
mikeyz250
5/19/2015 8:15am
So i change my stator with oem new one and now runs new again.

Post a reply to: 2014 YZ 250 bogging issues

The Latest