2013 kxf 450 burning antifreeze

csym108
Edited Date/Time 10/6/2014 11:13am
My 450 is burning coolant pretty bad. It's not the head gasket either. Any other ideas what it could be?
|
9/19/2014 11:01am
csym108 wrote:
My 450 is burning coolant pretty bad. It's not the head gasket either. Any other ideas what it could be?
Are you seeing signs of where it is going? Is there signs of fluid in the oil? If so it sounds like a bad seal at the impeller. Are you using the stock radiator cap? You might invest in the stronger cap.
csym108
9/19/2014 1:02pm
csym108 wrote:
Are you seeing signs of where it is going? Is there signs of fluid in the oil? If so it sounds like a bad seal at...
Are you seeing signs of where it is going? Is there signs of fluid in the oil? If so it sounds like a bad seal at the impeller. Are you using the stock radiator cap? You might invest in the stronger cap.
I tried a cv radiator cap I believe it's called and there's no fluid in the oil. Believe it's coming outta the overflow.
9/19/2014 8:43pm
csym108 wrote:
I tried a cv radiator cap I believe it's called and there's no fluid in the oil. Believe it's coming outta the overflow.
Check to see if your coolant is circulating properly and also bleed the system to make sure there isn't any air pockets in the system.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1992nd
9/20/2014 12:22am
If there's no coolant in the oil, and there's no steam coming out of the exhaust, check the weep hole for the coolant passage behind the water pump if your bike has one. If it does and you find coolant residue there, you need to replace your water pump shaft seals. Is there oil in the coolant? That would also indicate a bad seal. If there is no oil in the coolant, no coolant in the oil, and no steam coming out of the exhaust, your water pump impeller may be chewed up and not operating efficiently, or the water pump drive gear might have failed...check your oil for steel shavings. If none of this helps you, you're not going fast enough....4 strokes run hot and want lots of airflow to cool them down.

The Shop

pete24
9/20/2014 4:36pm
those kawi 450 blow head gaskets all the time you say it isnt the head gasket, did you replace it?did you have the cylinder and head surfaced at a machine shop? have both surfaced and it will stop i fix five of them things a year with that problem
csym108
9/20/2014 6:28pm
pete24 wrote:
those kawi 450 blow head gaskets all the time you say it isnt the head gasket, did you replace it?did you have the cylinder and head...
those kawi 450 blow head gaskets all the time you say it isnt the head gasket, did you replace it?did you have the cylinder and head surfaced at a machine shop? have both surfaced and it will stop i fix five of them things a year with that problem
Mechanic at mx shop tested the head gasket said it was good and just radiator was packed full sand but that wasn't the cAse still burning it. Don't wanna take it back there cuz there so overpriced so figure try fix it myself.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
9/20/2014 8:28pm
How did he test the head gasket? Do a pressure test on the cooling system? Even if you pass a pressure test, the compression of the engine can leak past the head gasket, over pressurize the coolant system and force coolant out the overflow.
csym108
9/21/2014 8:34am
FGR01 wrote:
How did he test the head gasket? Do a pressure test on the cooling system? Even if you pass a pressure test, the compression of the...
How did he test the head gasket? Do a pressure test on the cooling system? Even if you pass a pressure test, the compression of the engine can leak past the head gasket, over pressurize the coolant system and force coolant out the overflow.
Ya I believe that's what he did. It must be a head gasket by the sounds of what you guys are saying. I'll check the water pump seal.
casper
9/21/2014 2:41pm
FGR01 wrote:
How did he test the head gasket? Do a pressure test on the cooling system? Even if you pass a pressure test, the compression of the...
This is what happened to me, it was my head gasket. One thing you could check is if the radiator hoses are still hard with pressure when hot but after 2-3 minutes of the engine being off. My bike would keep pressure while running because the exhaust was leaking into the coolant and pressuring the system but soon after turning my bike off, it would lose pressure and I could even take the radiator cap off. If it's not the head gasket, the water pump shaft seals (There are 2, inner and outer) could be a place to look.
lumpy790
9/21/2014 3:01pm
there is a special tool that sniffs the coolant while the motor is running for CO2 and if its present turns the liquid a different color. Car shops use them.

Are you 100% sure its not just releasing excess coolant when it gets hot? Where is the coolant level after it cools in the radiator?
csym108
9/21/2014 3:12pm
lumpy790 wrote:
there is a special tool that sniffs the coolant while the motor is running for CO2 and if its present turns the liquid a different color...
there is a special tool that sniffs the coolant while the motor is running for CO2 and if its present turns the liquid a different color. Car shops use them.

Are you 100% sure its not just releasing excess coolant when it gets hot? Where is the coolant level after it cools in the radiator?
Ya I've went through 1 jug of engine ice in past month. After it cool it's a couple inches down from the fins.
lumpy790
9/23/2014 3:22pm
lumpy790 wrote:
there is a special tool that sniffs the coolant while the motor is running for CO2 and if its present turns the liquid a different color...

csym108 wrote:
Ya I've went through 1 jug of engine ice in past month. After it cool it's a couple inches down from the fins.
I would pressure test it and see where the coolant puddles.
Paw Paw 271
9/23/2014 7:40pm
There are some O-rings seals down in the case that keep water from entering the crank case. If one is bad or broken you can get water in the combustion, but with that said the most likely reason is a bad head gasket.

Paw Paw
lumpy790
9/25/2014 9:48pm
exhaust would smell sweet and there would be puffs of white smoke if it is burning it
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
9/26/2014 5:58am
lumpy790 wrote:

Do this, because the combustion event with push past and into the cooling system, then on intake or down stroke pull coolant into the cylinder. You can actually damage the cylinder, i've seen it happen, looks like steam abrasion believe it or not.
csym108
10/6/2014 11:13am
lumpy790 wrote:
exhaust would smell sweet and there would be puffs of white smoke if it is burning it
I found a spot where radiator was bent in a little and it was pinching off the overflow tube. Would this have anything to do with it? Or not

Post a reply to: 2013 kxf 450 burning antifreeze

The Latest