2011 Yamaha YZ250 Project Build

MxWhite260
Edited Date/Time 4/6/2014 7:12pm
Hello everyone, I'm new to Vital MX... I've always looked through at others posts and read through the site but never bothered to sign up. Until now, I have built my 3rd Yamaha YZ250 2 stroke and this one I think will really shock some people. Again, I'm new here so I don't know how you "vital folks" do this, but I'll show you my build, I don't care to read any smart ass, or disrespectful comments so save that junk for someone else's post.

Day 1: this is what I began with

The bike was pretty good looking. I put a few small parts on it like a pipe and graphics/plastic, but decided it was time to build a full blown race bike.

Day 2: I tore apart the current bike, and used a home-made soda blaster to clean parts

Day 3: I stripped the frame bare and cleaned it up for powder coating

Day 4: Sent my frame, swing arm, and subframe to Kalvin Kauffmann in Ogden, IL for powder coating. He did an excellent job, no runs or blemishes in the finish, also clear coated over the black. Turned out great!

Day 5: I started ordering parts, I made a list and had around $5,000 worth of parts I wanted so it took me a few weeks to get everything I needed to finish the bike.

Day 6: I sent my suspension to Pro-Action of Illinois. I have known Jason Donegan for a long time and knew he'd be the best man for the job. We also decided to have my forks anodized black to really make the frame stand out.
|
MxWhite260
3/17/2014 8:08pm
Day 7: I found a pair of wheels from a friend in Ohio that had a blue warp 9 hub, as well as a pair of oversized spokes and nipples. I went ahead and traded him a Bell Moto 9 helmet for the wheels. Haha.

Day 8: I received my forks and shock back from Pro-Action of Illinois. Jason really took care of me and was a huge help to my build!

Day 9: I took apart the pair of wheels I had received from my friend in Ohio. I decided to re-use the spokes and nipples considering they were close to brand new. I took scotch bright and WD-40 to each spoke and then used a wire wheel on a dremel tool to clean up and polish the nipples. Here's the end result

The dirty set on the left, polished set on the right

The nipples and spokes all together after polishing both.

Day 10: I had spoke with my graphics guy a few days prior to the build about possibly doing a bike and he was on top of the case. Fred Slickmeyer with Renegade Designs is your man for the best graphics for the most fair price. I originally planned to use the UFO Restyle kit but the more I looked at it the more I did not like the side number plates. So I decided to use the stock style plastic with an updated front end.

This is the base that Fred started with. Neat, but the restyle kit was not for me.

Another idea we played around with, I really liked the colors but wanted something more basic for color.

This is the kit that Fred and I decided on. Absolutely perfect for what I wanted and really complimented the black frame and forks.

Day 11: I ordered a pair of DID Dirt Star black wheels. I figured they would look great with the blue hub and polished spokes and nipples. I did not have a truing stand so Ty Tyrrell helped me out with the wheels.

There's the finished product, wrapped in a Michellin star-cross tire.... Lets be honest they're the best tires around haha.

Day 12: a few more parts arrived, I ordered plastic... The polisport mix and match kit. I wanted all blue but ended up with a black front plate and fork guards. I got a vforce, and then the outlaw racing full bike anodized parts package. I also got new levers, a blue cycra guide plate, as well as a lot of other small parts.

Day 13: my order through my sponsor MIKA metals arrived, I used their handlebars, brake pads, sprockets, chain, and new bar pad.

Day 14: I ordered a new clutch for the bike. Used the stock Yamaha clutch... So instead of pretending to have something expensive inside with a Hinson or boyesen clutch cover, I used my stock one and polished it.

MxWhite260
3/17/2014 8:24pm
Day 15: I decided to have a friend Zach Douglas do a full rebuild on my motor. I used parts from Vortex and Hot Rods whom also help me out and are an excellent sponsor! We have had great luck with their products. Zach works for professional supercross racer Cade Clason #761 so I trusted him to build me a monster of a motor, and that's what I received.

Day 16: I have all parts and the motor is ready to be placed in the bike. So the rebuild begins

Day 17-31: I will just post some pictures of the process I went through rebuilding the bike. This way not a 31 day project but it's easier to explain what I did by "days" haha. This bike took me a total of 4 months to complete, so again here's just a few pictures of my progress through a week of putting the bike together.

My dad and I decided to take my fmf factory fatty pipe and sand it down with scotch bright and wd40 and then take a torch to all the welds to "retemper them"

I then decided to dye my transmission cover and my front brake line holder with black rit dye

At this point this bike is basically built it was just piecing together some of the small parts and adding my plastic and other "trick parts"

A few pictures of the bike almost completed in my garage.

MxWhite260
3/17/2014 8:34pm
This past Friday I finally finished my build. I will be using this bike to ride pro-ams around the central United States and hope to obtain my professional license and do 2 nationals around my area. This bike is now my pride and joy, I've spent countless hours, dollars and time on this thing and after having the chance to ride it this past weekend it was worth every penny. This is by far one of the best bikes I've ever rode, and that's after coming off a 2013 Suzuki RMZ450. I absolutely love 2 strokes and felt that you guys would appreciate this one as much as I enjoyed building it... Check it out!

Well that's it, thank you for checking out my bike! Hope you guys like it! It looks even better on the track than it does sitting in the garage haha.

AS64
Fantasy
2156th
3/17/2014 9:51pm
Frickin' SICK! I love it. I'm in the process of completely rebuilding my 2010. The YZ250's are amazing machines. Good luck in your future racing endeavors and enjoy that thing!

The Shop

MxWhite260
3/18/2014 6:58am
AS64 wrote:
Frickin' SICK! I love it. I'm in the process of completely rebuilding my 2010. The YZ250's are amazing machines. Good luck in your future racing endeavors...
Frickin' SICK! I love it. I'm in the process of completely rebuilding my 2010. The YZ250's are amazing machines. Good luck in your future racing endeavors and enjoy that thing!
Haha thanks man. The YZ's are without a doubt one of the best bikes ever made. And thank you, let me know how yours goes!
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
3/18/2014 9:27am
Dude you had me scared. My OCD frickin pegged when I saw these pics with the fork stickers upside down! Glad you got that figured out.

I like how the powder coating looks thin and even, almost like anodizing. not all thick and chunky like it usually is.

MxWhite260
3/18/2014 9:53am
FGR01 wrote:
Dude you had me scared. My OCD frickin pegged when I saw these pics with the fork stickers upside down! Glad you got that figured out...
Dude you had me scared. My OCD frickin pegged when I saw these pics with the fork stickers upside down! Glad you got that figured out.

I like how the powder coating looks thin and even, almost like anodizing. not all thick and chunky like it usually is.

Hahahahaha I didn't think anyone would catch it. Just a little minor malfunction. It's tricky putting them on without the bike with you. But yeah the powder is excellent he did great man I was stoked!
3/18/2014 9:55am
Are those the soft/intermediate star cross tires? If so how durable are they? This is the first time I have seen them and the tread pattern looks awesome, I may have to give them a try when I need new tires.
MxWhite260
3/18/2014 10:00am
Are those the soft/intermediate star cross tires? If so how durable are they? This is the first time I have seen them and the tread pattern...
Are those the soft/intermediate star cross tires? If so how durable are they? This is the first time I have seen them and the tread pattern looks awesome, I may have to give them a try when I need new tires.
Yeah man they sure are. I've used these since 2008 and I'll never use any other tire. I was a Dunlop mx51 guy until I tried these. They out last any tire I've used, and they grip like no other. We have lots of hard pack and clay around my area so they're perfect. And they do really nice at the sandy style tracks around my area as well. Hands down best tire on the market.
3/18/2014 6:01pm
Are those the soft/intermediate star cross tires? If so how durable are they? This is the first time I have seen them and the tread pattern...
MxWhite260 wrote:
Yeah man they sure are. I've used these since 2008 and I'll never use any other tire. I was a Dunlop mx51 guy until I tried...
Yeah man they sure are. I've used these since 2008 and I'll never use any other tire. I was a Dunlop mx51 guy until I tried these. They out last any tire I've used, and they grip like no other. We have lots of hard pack and clay around my area so they're perfect. And they do really nice at the sandy style tracks around my area as well. Hands down best tire on the market.
Awesome, sounds like I found my next set of tires then
Digger29
3/19/2014 6:53am
Awesome job and definitely one of the coolest YZ250s that I've ever seen!!
MxWhite260
3/19/2014 8:40am
Digger29 wrote:
Awesome job and definitely one of the coolest YZ250s that I've ever seen!!
Thanks man! That means something coming from the dude with the sickest KTM on the planet!
3/19/2014 7:20pm
WOW!!!!!!!! Absolutely amazing man!!!
I thought it looked really nice at the start!.....But what you have reworked there is one of the finest specimen of YZ that I have ever seen!!!

Best of luck at those nationals and let that 2 smoker sing!!!Cool
ML512
Fantasy
45th
3/19/2014 10:49pm
You should go add this bad boy over in our bike check sectionCool
Slamdrew
3/20/2014 9:48am
Absolutely beautiful build. I never thought black frames looked good until now.

And people always told me how small the racing world is. I am starting to see evidence of that after only riding for 2 years. My girlfriend rode with Cade Clason 5-6 years ago in the northeast Ohio area. We now watch every race and cheer for him to qualify for a main. He is getting closer every race. We almost saw him qualify in person in Detroit. Would have been pretty cool.
mmain62
3/21/2014 10:08am
Super Sick man. I hope my YZ turns out nice. I have the restyled plastic in the package still , until I am able to afford a graphic kit for them. Now I am in the same boat as you and I am starting to think the front fender is all I needed ha. Anyways hell of a build maybe Ill see you somewhere this year. Are you at Casey in those pics?
slipdog
3/22/2014 8:05am
FGR01 wrote:
Dude you had me scared. My OCD frickin pegged when I saw these pics with the fork stickers upside down! Glad you got that figured out...

MxWhite260 wrote:
Hahahahaha I didn't think anyone would catch it. Just a little minor malfunction. It's tricky putting them on without the bike with you. But yeah the...
Hahahahaha I didn't think anyone would catch it. Just a little minor malfunction. It's tricky putting them on without the bike with you. But yeah the powder is excellent he did great man I was stoked!
The bike looks great

I read everyones comments just so I wasn't repeating the fork sticker thing. Sounds like maybe you did it, that'd be a major fail from a professional suspension tuner to not catch... Wink
corsair
3/24/2014 5:43pm
Beautiful bike. And going by those pics, it looks like you ride it very well too.
partialperson
3/24/2014 6:33pm
I am a Michelin Man, have 2 YZ250's. Great build. Is that track Casey, Lincoln Trail?
MxWhite260
3/24/2014 6:38pm
WOW!!!!!!!! Absolutely amazing man!!! I thought it looked really nice at the start!.....But what you have reworked there is one of the finest specimen of YZ...
WOW!!!!!!!! Absolutely amazing man!!!
I thought it looked really nice at the start!.....But what you have reworked there is one of the finest specimen of YZ that I have ever seen!!!

Best of luck at those nationals and let that 2 smoker sing!!!Cool
Haha thank you man! I really liked the end product. Pretty sweet machine! And thank you!

Post a reply to: 2011 Yamaha YZ250 Project Build

The Latest