2009 CRF 450 Won't Start

Edited Date/Time 9/19/2015 7:58pm
Anyone,

Hoping someone can help me with this before I have to take her to my local dealer. Last time I road the bike it was running rough, wouldn't rev out properely, sounded like the muffler was blocked. Let her cool down and she ran fine. Next time I took her out she was hard to start, but got going, when she did she wouldn't rev out again, (this is just on the stand). Turned her off and now she won't start. I have tried removing the fuel filter, and put a new plug in. She will start occasionally (and when she does start she appears to run crisp and fine), but like once in every hundred kicks, took the plug out and it seems to spark sometimes, and not others. There are no warning lights on the ECU/Kill switch when she does fire up. Any one heard or had this problem??

Cheers,

Rick
|
S2H
3/17/2010 2:25pm
Spark plug, my friends did the exact same thing
3/17/2010 2:41pm
Thats what I was hoping, but I have put a new spark plug in and it still aint working, like I say it will start, but literally once in a hundred kicks. Was your friends just the plug, or the plug lead? Cheers for the help.
FIREfish148
3/17/2010 7:25pm
Check the plug gap, check the exhaust valve clearance too maybe. mine went back before the intake.
onenastynotch
3/17/2010 7:35pm
it is the fuel pump filter is clogged.. happens alot and what you describe is textbook fuel starve....3 09s did this

The Shop

RACEGUY
3/18/2010 4:41pm
Fuel pump is questionable on this bike.

Check to make sure it is properly anchored and grounded electrically.

Your Honda dealer should be aware of this and know what to look for. If not, get a new Honda dealer.
4/12/2010 12:37am
My 2009 CRF 450 has @ 3 hours on it and it has never started well. I took it to a shop here in Vegas ( Ridenow) and they had no clue as to what the problem is, they had it for two weeks. They are a horrible shop IMO, but that's another story. I rode it at comp edge in cal that week and it started okay 15 to 20 kicks, yeah I know that's really not "okay" but it was better. They changed the plug, that's not the problem. The next time I tried to start it, it took well over a hundred kicks, so I took it to the dealer in Arizona where I bought the bike and where it still sits (three) weeks so far. They said Honda told them to change the stator. I'll post more once they give me any info. Remember 3 hours is all that is on the bike.
4/12/2010 7:43pm
the 09 honda is notorious for starting issues ...no doubt a pain in the ass to start....your only getting spark every few kicks because the bike has to build a charge essentially to run the efi components and then the rest of the system...it sounds more like a lose plug cap rather than a spark plug....the efi bike is very efficient in fuel consumption and fuel air ratios meaning no plug issues in the plug it self however there is always the chance of getting a bad plug but as you explained you switched to a new one eliminating that as a possible fix....the plug caps are know to come lose if there is no retainer on the cap(which is on the bike stock) if the cap is fully seated then the stator is the next step....assuming the motor still has plenty of compression....i hope this helps and good luck
gitrdone
9/19/2015 7:58pm
I have a 2010 crf450r and experienced the same symptoms you have. Checked that I was getting spark.. held the plug while I kicked it over just to make sure;0) Unhooked the tank, drained the tank, pulled the pump out. As soon as I pulled it out I noticed the o-ring that is supposed to be at the base of the shaft that leads to the nipple the fuel line plugs into was cockeyed and one of the clips that hold the joins the two parts of the fuel pump unit holder together wasn't seated. I am going to guess I didn't have fuel pressure. Don't have the fancy tools to check that.

Pulled it apart after unhooking the red and black wires.. took a picture to make sure I got them back in the right spot. Pulled the fuel strainer off and checked it by blowing through the nipple.. had good flow. Didn't have a spare o-ring but the original didn't look bad and I wanted to ride so I just carefully reassembled everything. Dumped some fuel in it and it fired right up 3rd kick. Didn't have to do anything fancy to prime the system.. just hook everything up and kick it over.

Find a service manual online... pictures and descriptions are worth their weight in gold.

I will be ordering new o-rings as there are several of them in the fuel pump assembly and I would rather not end a trip due to failed o-rings.

Post a reply to: 2009 CRF 450 Won't Start

The Latest