2008 RM125. the Re- Rebuild is underway.

Slosh 112
3/25/2015 3:14am Edited Date/Time 4/14/2015 5:27am
TKL965 wrote:
Keen to see this bike finished, looks trick!
Thanks! me too haha, very keen to rip it round the track.

Got some more bits today, doesn't look like much but was surprisingly expensive...

DBR chain guide, it's same as a TM Designworks unit it's just rebranded.
Polisport chain slider.
OEM front & Rear Caliper seal kits.
8mm thread inserts.

Cleaned up the swingarm a little today, not quite done but its a lot better.

Fixed the swingarm adjuster threads. left hand side was completely gone, right side looked ok but wasn't great, at first I was going to use a Recoil, but the ID of the stripped thread was 8.5mm and an 8mm Recoil kit uses an 8.3mm drill bit, so being over size I just went for steel thread inserts, required ID was 9.5 mm for steel and 9.3 for alluminium, So I punched both of them out to 23/64" and wound them both in with a bit of Loctite 263, both sides are now better than new. Having steel on steel will mean less chance of them seizing together, not much of an issue on a regularly maintained bike but it makes me feel better haha.

Slosh 112
3/25/2015 3:52am Edited Date/Time 4/14/2015 5:33am

Edited
Slosh 112
3/29/2015 4:30am
Bought a little tool box thing to organise my parts, works a bit better than zip lock bags.

I was going to rebuild the shock but I noticed that the shaft was pitted. I don't know how I missed that as I was tearing it down...
So it's going to get rechromed, more money. Gives me an opportunity clean the clevis properly though.

Also got my outer fork tubes back from the machinist, I wasn't happy with the finish he left on them so I sent them upto my grandfathers shop a few hours up the road, looking back I should have just done that to start with, he taught me to use a lathe and a mill so he knows what look I'm chasing instead of a guy just doing what he thinks looks nice.

Rowlands
3/29/2015 7:36am
Have you ever dropped anything on your feet whilst working on the bike ? Put some sensible foot wear on for your own good Huh Bummer about the shock but at least you spotted it now, this is going to look awesome once done ! Good job man

The Shop

Slosh 112
3/30/2015 1:49am Edited Date/Time 8/15/2015 4:32pm
Rowlands wrote:
Have you ever dropped anything on your feet whilst working on the bike ? Put some sensible foot wear on for your own good :huh: Bummer...
Have you ever dropped anything on your feet whilst working on the bike ? Put some sensible foot wear on for your own good Huh Bummer about the shock but at least you spotted it now, this is going to look awesome once done ! Good job man
Hahaha yeah, I always wear my steel capped boots while I'm working on something in the shed, I took those pics after I was done for the day, Thanks for the compliments, I've built a few bikes from the ground up but this one is the first one I'm doing for myself, well aside from a YZ85 I built last year but it was only ever built to be sold and fund an RM125 project.

The previous owner said that he had a new seal head put in it when he rebuilt it, so I dare say whoever did it didn't know much about what he was doing... There was more sand than oil in the damn thing, this is why the engine is getting stripped down and checked.
liamjumper
3/31/2015 11:25am
Jarrod458 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/03/13/83788/s1200_image.jpg[/img] My old rm has a cool kit from tech one designs. I custom cut the side number plates as well. Good luck with your build...

My old rm has a cool kit from tech one designs. I custom cut the side number plates as well. Good luck with your build! Cheers!
What did you use to cut the side plates?
Slosh 112
4/1/2015 3:53am Edited Date/Time 8/15/2015 4:33pm
Fork tubes are finished, They swallowed up a lot of time on the lathe, worked them from 800 grit right down to 2000 wet and dry plus about 2 hours with a rag and polish, but they are ready to get anodised now.

I sent my carby in to get ultrasonicly cleaned & my shock shaft is getting re chromed, I'm pretty much waiting on cash flow to organise the rest of the things like powder coating the frame, sending all of the ancillary parts off for anodising and zinc plating.

Slosh 112
4/13/2015 5:37pm Edited Date/Time 5/29/2015 5:25am
Finished my Carby, I had it ultrasonically cleaned and grit blast, I found some grit in the slide when I got it home so I stripped it again and cleaned it all out. I would have thought that they would blast the outside and ultrasonically clean it afterward...

Finished the brake pedal mod that I mentioned earlier, Hammerhead over size tip on OEM rear brake pedal, with the rivets removed & an M5 tap run down the holes it bolts straight up. The Suzuki pedal is forged so it pretty strong straight away, I'm still waiting for the Pro Brake kit but it will need to be drilled and tapped out to M8 to suit the RM125 rear master cylinder pushrod.

I think that all pedals should come this size as standard issue. Have a look at the size difference!

rovertnamrod
4/16/2015 2:46pm
I created a vitalmx account after seeing this thread. I just bought a 2006 rm125 myself. Thinking of doing a similar type of "restoration" to my bike as well. Especially thinking about doing the new style front fender mod.
Slosh 112
4/21/2015 3:15pm
I created a vitalmx account after seeing this thread. I just bought a 2006 rm125 myself. Thinking of doing a similar type of "restoration" to my...
I created a vitalmx account after seeing this thread. I just bought a 2006 rm125 myself. Thinking of doing a similar type of "restoration" to my bike as well. Especially thinking about doing the new style front fender mod.
Thanks mate. I've never had a 125 so it will be an all new thing for me when I get it going, The RMZ front fender & plate seems to popular on here but I haven't seen any locally yet.
Spagina767
4/23/2015 6:04am
Looks AWESOME so far! I like the brake pedal mod.
Slosh 112
5/28/2015 7:30pm Edited Date/Time 9/18/2015 3:58am
I've got the rear brake assembly modded up now, not massively hard but I couldn't get Hammerhead parts for an RM125 so i just bought a Pro Brake spring kit for a YZF and drilled out the holes in the nut and clevis and tapped them to 8mm to suit the master cylinder, then cut the return spring arm off the brake pedal and smoothed it out. Later on I plan to weld on a small block to the bottom of the Brake pedal arm so that I can put a 6mm stopper bolt to stop it overextending and damaging the rear master cylinder.

I cut the disc and caliber guard mount lobes off the rear caliber bracket to make it look smoother as I wont be running those guards on the bike.

I got my shock shaft back from re chroming and it looks great.

I picked up a set of new Renthal Twinwalls in Charmicheal bend and a Blue/white bar pad to match the blue bars, the original Fatbars looked a bit banged around
A while ago I had a batch of stainless steel bar ends made on a CNC lathe, Mostly because I stack it a fair bit and I wanted give my grips a little more protection from being torn when I drop the bike> I've only got one set left out of the 50 I made so I figured ill save some for the RM before i give these away also, plus I figure they might calm some of the vibrations down.

I spent hours cleaning up the rocker linkage for the rear shock but it still looks horror, I think I'll get it powder coated matte black to cover up all of the corrosion squiggles. Powder coating sort of flows over the piece to give a nice even finish and I think it will cover the impurities in the surface.

Everything here in this picture is going to get anodised black. Because I've finished them with really fine glass in the blasting cabinet I'm hoping they will come back in a really nice matte black finish, but I'll talk with my anodiser first. The Zeta oil filler plug was supposed to be blue but they sent me a red one instead, I contacted the seller through eBay and they sent me a blue one to make up for the mistake I just had to cover the shipping costs which was only $7, but when it got here it was for a CRF and won't fit so I'm just going to re anodise the red one.

I want to anodise the Engine case halves and the cylinder head, anybody done this before? I've seen heaps of engines powder coated but they would look great anodised in a light brown colour, I don't see any problem with it, any body done this before???

WIESEL
6/9/2015 7:01pm
Nice work, look forward to updates.
Slosh 112
6/10/2015 12:41pm
Thanks Wiesel, Progress is slow at the moment but I'm trying to do as much as I can to get it done. Contacted a Nickel plater yesterday about getting the chassis hardware re plated hopefully next week, I'll post before and after pics soon.
Slosh 112
6/11/2015 4:05am Edited Date/Time 6/15/2015 12:44pm
Good work mate, it's going to be immaculate when finished.
Thanks, I hope so although I won't be afraid to thrash it when I'm done haha.
I wish I had a bigger budget because my wish list for this bike is larger than my income at the moment (new job, at the bottom of the food chain again haha) some Showa SSF or KYB PSF air forks & DLC coated Ti hardware would be on the next level... Maybe next year haha...
Spydee
6/12/2015 12:13am
Sweet dude, looking forward to seeing more of this!

Props for running the 112 on the Zook also, great minds think alike Wink
Slosh 112
9/18/2015 4:52am Edited Date/Time 9/18/2015 5:20am
OK!
So its been a while! but I have been working on getting back into it... its easy to walk past it as the whole bike except the frame is in 3 big plastic boxes I have under my bench in the shed, plus I have a new Monday to Friday job so I don't get as much time in the shed as I used to.

Any way I bought some aluminium cleaner and gave the radiators a splashing.

They came up a bloody treat!

BUT! of course...
as I placed them on my work bench, the sleeve of my work shirt caught one of the mounting tabs and pulled it onto the floor, breaking the discharge tube off the left side radiator... just wasted $40 of chemical aluminium cleaner...
I could have thrown them off a cliff at this point...

So... Ebay radiators for this build...
Slosh 112
9/18/2015 5:08am Edited Date/Time 9/18/2015 5:13am
Also got the spring and bell crank linkage powder coated during the week.

The spring is a clue to the colour scheme I'm planning for the zook...

The linkage came up ok I suppose, gotta clean out the small end eye as they didn't mask it up before coating. It was badly pitted from the salt so thats why I got it powder coated, to cover up the pitting and crazing wheras anodising would have made all of that stand out I think.

K-dubbb
9/18/2015 6:11am
Where did you get the brake pedal cleat?

I am same boat, can't obtain a new style one since they don't exist.

Build looks great, all the best man!
Bruce372
9/18/2015 6:41am
you can get a complete billet brake pedal from a company in the UK, they used to sell on ebay.
Slosh 112
9/18/2015 6:49am
No thanks, but to be honest I think those pedals look a bit cheap...
The only reason I replaced the OEM tip was because I knew that the Hammerhead unit would bolt straight up and its an improvement over the standard lever, but not over the top... if that makes sense.
Bruce372
9/19/2015 10:57am
Cheap? Certainly cheaper than a new oem one. Lol
Slosh 112
9/24/2015 5:10am
Yeah ok, they are a fair bit cheaper than OEM but not nearly as good quality, don't even try to tell me they are coz they aint... they might look like billet machined alloy but its soft as cheese, even Hammerhead stuff is rubbish in comparison.
Might look fresh as but if it only lasts half a season then it can go in the bin...
rosebud441
9/24/2015 2:43pm
Super nice job Slosh..

I just picked up an 07 that was barely ridden on an gravel driveway by a fat girl.. Tires were bald but not a scratch anywhere.. i almost feel bad riding it, its so clean and tight..

My shopping list will be a fraction of what you have gone through but at least you have the satisfaction of knowing that bike inside and out.. cant wait to see the finished product!
Slosh 112
9/29/2015 2:20am
Need some advice.. What would you do?

Clean Swingarm as best you could with scotch write and just keep up the maintenance?

Powdercoat swingarm in a matte black?

Hard anodise swingarm black? would require cleaning it up as it has a few nicks in it.

Post a reply to: 2008 RM125. the Re- Rebuild is underway.

The Latest