2007 CR 250 - The build begins! The build is FINISHED!

MOTO120
12/13/2012 7:11am Edited Date/Time 5/13/2016 1:13pm
Hey all,
Just got back from a 10 hour round trip drive to pick up a 2007 CR 250....I'm pretty pumped (also known as "Ryan Dungey Pumped" haha). Just thought I would share some pictures of the bike as it sits now in my garage, it's not perfect by any means but it will be a good foundation for my build (you can tell by a couple pictures below that the bike must have set in a shed "out back" for a while due to the oxidation on some bolts etc.). This is going to be my winter project...tear down completely to frame and re-build accordingly. The only thing I don't think I am going to mess with is the bottom end of the motor....Eric Gorr just serviced this motor top to bottom with about 5 hours now on it (I am going to however mill the cylinder the .030" that everyone raves about). I am planning to sell the PC clutch cover, the red SCAR foot pegs, the wheels (black moose rims with stock Honda hubs powdercoated white), the stock forks and shock (he just spend over $900 on work from PR2 on May 12 this year....it's fresh), and the full PC exhaust system (Works pipe and R304 silencer)...if anyone is interested in those parts, PM me.

I will continue to post in this thread as the tear down begins tomorrow night until the graphics are put on by hopefully late winter/early spring.

Thanks for looking!

Some oxidation from what looks like it having set in a shed for a bit......meaning it's not perfect.

|
12/13/2012 4:25pm
A diamond in the rough.
That thing's a real beauty.
Can't wait till your done!
May I ask how much you paid for it?
And what's your reasoning for selling everything on it?
MOTO120
12/13/2012 5:03pm
I paid $3000 cash for it which I thought was a really good deal considering its an '07 and the parts that were on it. Only reason I'm selling the parts is because I have aftermarket parts to replace them....carbon fiber everything, A-kit suspension, and a full Ti bolt kit Smile . I hope it turns out really well....I enjoy working em almost as much as I like riding haha. Thanks for lookin
12/13/2012 7:33pm
One more question:
What color rims, hubs, and spokes are you planning on getting. I'd go for a two tone sorta deal with powder coated rims and hubs with red or white spokes to mix it up.
newmann
12/13/2012 7:45pm
One more question: What color rims, hubs, and spokes are you planning on getting. I'd go for a two tone sorta deal with powder coated rims...
One more question:
What color rims, hubs, and spokes are you planning on getting. I'd go for a two tone sorta deal with powder coated rims and hubs with red or white spokes to mix it up.
I'd go for some TCR HRC wheels. And post up some pics of the ti kit and a kit dammit...

The Shop

AngryBear
12/13/2012 11:26pm
nice winter project. i've got a similar build in process as well on an '06, i'll post up shortly.
MOTO120
12/14/2012 3:37am
One more question: What color rims, hubs, and spokes are you planning on getting. I'd go for a two tone sorta deal with powder coated rims...
One more question:
newmann wrote:
I'd go for some TCR HRC wheels. And post up some pics of the ti kit and a kit dammit...
Newmann....hell with the TCR stuff, tell me were I can get a hold a set of those Magnesium hubs you posted a couple days ago. I remember reading about that project CRF bike that guy did several years back.....who has those castings?
MOTO120
12/14/2012 6:36am
Well, began the teardown last night and wow it's in a little rougher shape than it looks haha. I was looking for a project and looks like this will be a good one, check out the pictures below.

Rather than a nice bead of clear silicone to help seal this airbox, the previous owner decided to put an entire case of sealant. Also notice all the particles in the airbox from the deteriorating air filter....looks like the motor is going to come apart after all .

Radiators a bit more mangles than I thought after removing all the plastics. Gonna replace with some bigger aluminum tanks.

Just pic of under the tank....not too bad.

I guess he tried to do some custom painting/anodizing that didn't quite turn out too well

As it now sits in my garage

12/14/2012 2:19pm
Although it's not my bike, I'm getting more giddy as I think about what it'll look like. Wink
motofab36
12/14/2012 5:52pm
my opinion is.........that garage is too clean for a bike projectWink
12/15/2012 4:39pm
Not sure if my 06 CR250R will be motivation (considering yours will probably be way nicer when you're done), but here are some pics of anyway. Just dumped some money into it. It's a blast to ride.

Brad460
Fantasy
807th
12/15/2012 5:49pm
I don't mean to derail the thread...how is that epoxy floor holding up ? Which brand? Was the concrete new when you epoxied it? You do it yourself?
MOTO120
12/15/2012 7:11pm
Not sure if my 06 CR250R will be motivation (considering yours will probably be way nicer when you're done), but here are some pics of anyway...
Not sure if my 06 CR250R will be motivation (considering yours will probably be way nicer when you're done), but here are some pics of anyway. Just dumped some money into it. It's a blast to ride.

Great looking bike man! Hopefully mine can come out just as well as yours did...fine work!
MOTO120
12/15/2012 7:17pm
Brad460 wrote:
I don't mean to derail the thread...how is that epoxy floor holding up ? Which brand? Was the concrete new when you epoxied it? You do...
I don't mean to derail the thread...how is that epoxy floor holding up ? Which brand? Was the concrete new when you epoxied it? You do it yourself?
No worries...I absolutely LOVE the epoxy floor. We just build a new house a little over a year ago and I convinced the wife that if I was every going to put that floor in that there would be no better time to do it than when the concrete is new/fresh/clean.....somehow she gave in haha. So I am a little over a year into it and have absolutely NO complaints other than maybe all the compliments on it get old Smile . It is just Rustoleum brand but I did go with the "Commercial" grade line of products. After the epoxy/paint chips were put down, I then applied a super glossy clear finish to it (in which I mixed in the recommended white/clear sand to give it a little more grip....be sure to put the sand in because it honestly is a little slick during the winter when snow/water accumulate on it from the vehicles). Yes, the wife and I did it ourselves.....just etched it all with Muratic Acid and then you simply roll it on with a long handled paint roller and a second person throws the paint chips behind you. Best part about it honestly is the clean up! I have a drain in the middle of my garage floor so I just get the hose out and run some water over the majority of the floor, squeegee it all to the drain, then (you're gonna make fun of me) literally use a Libman mop and go over the entire floor.....seriously looks BRAND NEW again. I say DO IT!!!!
MOTO120
12/15/2012 7:18pm
Well, the wife had some "girl" cookie party thing to go to this evening so that allowed me to spend some quality time out in the garage . I dis-assembled the bike completely down to the frame so now the real work begins........ Sorry if some of you think I am posting too many pictures, but I love looking at build project and to me, the more pictures the better. See below for tonights progress. After this, things will probably slow down a little bit as work from here on out is just a bit more time consuming than ripping the bike apart. Thanks for looking....still have some parts for sale off it if anyone's interested (suspension, full PC exhaust, red Scar footpegs, and Renthal Twinwall 999/Pro Taper Aluminum throttle tube). Have a good weekend!

Started getting all the electrical/carb outta the frame...honestly this was kind of pain....SO much stuff!

Part of being able to take all the above off was dis-connecting the Power Valve cables and take a look inside.......

Pictures aren't the greatest here, but next was removing swingarm....pretty much rusted and LOCKED in position. Can't remember if I had to use a sledge hammer or not to get the pivot pin outta there....notice the rust

I was pleasantly surprised to see the mating surface and intake were looking good

I've owned aluminum framed Honda's in the past and had the shrouds leave a spot where they kind of dig in but for some reason this gouge looks abnormally big....

Was pretty pumped when I pulled the clutch cover off (sold that) and saw what I think is a Hinson clutch basket....have pulled hub out but I know Hinson components are that dark brown/gray color that this is and I'm pretty sure stock OEM baskets are just brushed aluminum? So that's a nice surprise...I'll take that!

Just some random pictures showing kind of the general care/attention that was given to this bike...not much!

So now, this is how things look sitting tonight.......ready for the wife to have another holiday party to go to hahahahaha

A couple close-up shots of the frame

I do have one question for everyone. What are your suggestions as to how I should clean up some parts such as the frame? Certain methods you might suggest or any particular materials I should use? I have purchased Mineral Spirits (heard that works pretty well), SOS pads, 320 grit sanding block, and Scotch Brite pads. I am NOT wanting to achieve a mirrored finish, rather a more factory looking dull/brushed finish. Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for looking and reading
12/15/2012 7:31pm
For the frame, I think some engine degreaser combined with commercial grade hot water pressure washer would take that off. Maybe rent one or stop by and auto repair shop, they usually have something like that? When I was younger I worked at a car shop that had one, it would clean anything.
newmann
12/15/2012 8:15pm
Husky dude, that thing is double nasty!! Yikes. I admire your ambition, mostly because I've done the same thing numerous times.! LOL. Degrease and pressure wash that frame with hot water to try and get everything off of it first. Then you will need a phosphoric acid based aluminum cleaner. Try some of the Eagle One etching and non etching cleaners on the frame and swingarm with a gray or red scotch brite pad. They are different grits so see which gives you the desired appearance.The prosphoric acids will darken cast aluminum parts such as the calipers and engine components so test a spot first. You will see what I speak of. Read through this old thread of mine, maybe some of it will be helpful. Have fun, and keep posting pics!

http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Garage-Sale-Special-Build…
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2779th
12/15/2012 10:13pm
Awww, I was expecting a Husky CR250 considering your name Sad
captmoto
12/15/2012 10:47pm
Wow, I bought an 05 that was some ways worse and some ways better. There are some turds out there. Your pipe looks great, mine was junk but my stock clutch basket and hub look new. My swingarm pivot came out OK but the linkage came out in pieces. My cylinder was shot. I have a little over $3000 into mine.
12/16/2012 7:08am
When I bought a 2004 cr250 a while back it was pretty similar. Pretty on the outside but when I started doing a thorough inspection it got ugly fast. I was hoping it would be a quick fix but it turned into a money pit fast and I decided to sell the thing once finished.
lumpy790
12/16/2012 8:17am
look into a MX Bonz airbox ring to fix the Honda airbox sealing problems.
CamP
12/16/2012 8:48am Edited Date/Time 12/16/2012 8:49am
Honda fixed the air box sealing issue in '03 by adding a gasket.

You can build a new complete 07 airbox for $75 w/ parts from powersportsplus.com
MOTO120
12/16/2012 6:56pm
CamP wrote:
Honda fixed the air box sealing issue in '03 by adding a gasket. You can build a new complete 07 airbox for $75 w/ parts from...
Honda fixed the air box sealing issue in '03 by adding a gasket.

You can build a new complete 07 airbox for $75 w/ parts from powersportsplus.com
That is likely what I'll do Smile . Thanks!
MOTO120
12/16/2012 7:17pm
newmann wrote:
Husky dude, that thing is double nasty!! Yikes. I admire your ambition, mostly because I've done the same thing numerous times.! LOL. Degrease and pressure wash...
Husky dude, that thing is double nasty!! Yikes. I admire your ambition, mostly because I've done the same thing numerous times.! LOL. Degrease and pressure wash that frame with hot water to try and get everything off of it first. Then you will need a phosphoric acid based aluminum cleaner. Try some of the Eagle One etching and non etching cleaners on the frame and swingarm with a gray or red scotch brite pad. They are different grits so see which gives you the desired appearance.The prosphoric acids will darken cast aluminum parts such as the calipers and engine components so test a spot first. You will see what I speak of. Read through this old thread of mine, maybe some of it will be helpful. Have fun, and keep posting pics!

Newmann,
Thanks for the advice. Could you give me anymore specifics on a cleaner? Seems like everything I find online is "green" and I just have my doubts. I need some serious cleaning stuff Smile ! Thanks.
MOTO120
12/16/2012 7:21pm
Anyone have some good tips on getting bearings out....swingarm and linkage. They are rusted pretty good and seem pretty solid, anyone have this issue before? Heat? I've put some penetrating oil on them to try to help a little. Thanks in advance.
newmann
12/16/2012 7:34pm
newmann wrote:
Husky dude, that thing is double nasty!! Yikes. I admire your ambition, mostly because I've done the same thing numerous times.! LOL. Degrease and pressure wash...

MOTO120 wrote:
Newmann, Thanks for the advice. Could you give me anymore specifics on a cleaner? Seems like everything I find online is "green" and I just have...
Newmann,
Thanks for the advice. Could you give me anymore specifics on a cleaner? Seems like everything I find online is "green" and I just have my doubts. I need some serious cleaning stuff Smile ! Thanks.
If you have a PPG Automotive paint supply store around there, get a quart of DX533 Alumiprep. Dilute as necessary to clean the aluminum. It is phosphoric acid based.
lumpy790
12/17/2012 12:14pm
gasket & plastic airbox still flexes. Aluminum airbox ring makes it seal solid.
MOTO120
12/18/2012 4:12am
Not too much progress last night but I did get a small amount done.....amazing what cleaning something up and a little blasting will do to it Smile

Linkage and bearings before

After

Swingarm isn't completely done yet (I don't think), but it got a little love tonight too Smile
IceMan446
12/18/2012 10:45am
MOTO120 wrote:
Not too much progress last night but I did get a small amount done.....amazing what cleaning something up and a little blasting will do to it...
Not too much progress last night but I did get a small amount done.....amazing what cleaning something up and a little blasting will do to it Smile

Linkage and bearings before

After

Swingarm isn't completely done yet (I don't think), but it got a little love tonight too Smile
Man you have your hands full! But after its all done you will enjoy it. Makes it all worth it in the end.

Blasting really helped out. You going to do the frame as well?

Post a reply to: 2007 CR 250 - The build begins! The build is FINISHED!

The Latest