2006 YZ 125 Revamp

bronwynrayne
Edited Date/Time 11/29/2020 10:33am
So I bought this 2006 YZ 125 last year for 2300$ USD. It's in perfect condition, and I have posted about it before.

I got Briar at 180 Decals to throw some graphics together for me.

Here they are double sided taped onto the plastics...

Anyways, I have had the graphics for about a year, been procrastinating putting them on because I needed new plastics and a gas tank, as the stock gas tank would look pretty silly with that other blue from the graphics in there clashing.

I bit the bullet and bought new white plastics, a black gas tank, bar pad and a seat cover.

You guys have any suggestions for small things that would give the bike some more pep? I want to convert to black rims and possibly replace the hubs at some point but that's an expensive upgrade. It needs nothing, but I was just wondering what your thoughts were...

Will upload a photo of the bike once I get the new aesthetic decor bolted on.

|
6/14/2016 10:18am
More pep? Pretty much everything you have done is for show. You should go for porting, bumping the compression, different reeds, and a pipe. The adjust the jetting and you will be amazed at the difference.
bronwynrayne
6/14/2016 10:20am
More pep? Pretty much everything you have done is for show. You should go for porting, bumping the compression, different reeds, and a pipe. The adjust...
More pep? Pretty much everything you have done is for show. You should go for porting, bumping the compression, different reeds, and a pipe. The adjust the jetting and you will be amazed at the difference.
I was referring to aesthetic pep. The bike runs perfectly haha, I have zero complaints about performance, thus the focus on show.
kijen
6/14/2016 12:23pm
the Tusk Rims and hubs ( blue or red), put them on our YZ250, seem to be pretty good, MXA and RacerX have used them on their builds...others may say to go big with Dubya....it's your money & your bike....
6/14/2016 6:20pm
A new raw pipe will give it a "racier" look. Pleated, two tone seat covers look good. KYB decals on the forks. Lose the warning label on the shock reservoir. A set of wave style brake rotors off a later model YZ. Gold chain.

The Shop

bronwynrayne
6/14/2016 7:06pm
kijen wrote:
the Tusk Rims and hubs ( blue or red), put them on our YZ250, seem to be pretty good, MXA and RacerX have used them on...
the Tusk Rims and hubs ( blue or red), put them on our YZ250, seem to be pretty good, MXA and RacerX have used them on their builds...others may say to go big with Dubya....it's your money & your bike....
Unfortunately I can't seem to find any hubs that would compliment the colour scheme I have going, so that's going to be a work in progress, but I agree with you entirely. I like the look of black rims for sure.
bronwynrayne
6/14/2016 7:08pm
A new raw pipe will give it a "racier" look. Pleated, two tone seat covers look good. KYB decals on the forks. Lose the warning label...
A new raw pipe will give it a "racier" look. Pleated, two tone seat covers look good. KYB decals on the forks. Lose the warning label on the shock reservoir. A set of wave style brake rotors off a later model YZ. Gold chain.
Do you reckon it's too much work to just take the paint off of the one that I have already?

That warning label is a testament to it's prime condition, so yes I will have to remove it. I actually think that the pressure washer already took care of that one for me.

Probably wait till I can afford the new rims and hubs before I do the brake upgrade, but that is definitely something that I considered, not the KYB decals though! That is a cheap little factory look upgrade I can do.
JM485
6/15/2016 8:01am
Just heads up, but you might want to check you stearing stem bearings. I pulled mine apart before I even rode the bike to add gease, but at about 60 hours now I've discovered that my frame was full of really tiny aluminum beads that had worked their way into the bearings. Needless to say, they're hammered. I'm assuming it's from the casting or welding process, but whatever it is it's a big problem.

As for purely aesthetics, if you don't like the silver rims I think white would actually be pretty cool, but I'm not a huge fan of black rims. YouTube "Chuck Carothers Carola" and you'll see what I mean, his rims aren't entirely white but you get the idea. For whatever reason that bike always stuck out to me.
MB109
6/15/2016 8:10am
When I got my YZ125, the first thing I did was the plastics update. I got the RaceTech kit on ebay for $215 shipped I think? Came within a week and the install was pretty easy.

You can always add..
-clutch/ignition covers
-levers/hand guards
-brake pedal/shift lever
-seat cover
-random bling parts like oil cap/master cylinder covers/etc
bronwynrayne
6/15/2016 8:14am
JM485 wrote:
Just heads up, but you might want to check you stearing stem bearings. I pulled mine apart before I even rode the bike to add gease...
Just heads up, but you might want to check you stearing stem bearings. I pulled mine apart before I even rode the bike to add gease, but at about 60 hours now I've discovered that my frame was full of really tiny aluminum beads that had worked their way into the bearings. Needless to say, they're hammered. I'm assuming it's from the casting or welding process, but whatever it is it's a big problem.

As for purely aesthetics, if you don't like the silver rims I think white would actually be pretty cool, but I'm not a huge fan of black rims. YouTube "Chuck Carothers Carola" and you'll see what I mean, his rims aren't entirely white but you get the idea. For whatever reason that bike always stuck out to me.
It must be, as you say, from the casting process. How bizarre though, I have never heard of that before. Thanks for the heads up on that... worth looking into. I haven't seen or ridden my bike in six months so I have a lot of things I have been daydreaming about doing to it that I will finally be able to work on in the next month.

Not a fan of white rims at all, but to each their own Smile
JW381
6/16/2016 6:57am
So I bought this 2006 YZ 125 last year for 2300$ USD. It's in perfect condition, and I have posted about it before. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/06/14/139107/s1200_00Q0Q_jrzk16srFI5_600x450.jpg[/img] I got...
So I bought this 2006 YZ 125 last year for 2300$ USD. It's in perfect condition, and I have posted about it before.

I got Briar at 180 Decals to throw some graphics together for me.

Here they are double sided taped onto the plastics...

Anyways, I have had the graphics for about a year, been procrastinating putting them on because I needed new plastics and a gas tank, as the stock gas tank would look pretty silly with that other blue from the graphics in there clashing.

I bit the bullet and bought new white plastics, a black gas tank, bar pad and a seat cover.

You guys have any suggestions for small things that would give the bike some more pep? I want to convert to black rims and possibly replace the hubs at some point but that's an expensive upgrade. It needs nothing, but I was just wondering what your thoughts were...

Will upload a photo of the bike once I get the new aesthetic decor bolted on.

Gold looks sick!
cwtoyota
6/16/2016 7:11am
More pep? Pretty much everything you have done is for show. You should go for porting, bumping the compression, different reeds, and a pipe. The adjust...
I was referring to aesthetic pep. The bike runs perfectly haha, I have zero complaints about performance, thus the focus on show.
On that 2006 model, you NEED to replace the shift stopper with a 2008 or later part. Yours (if it's still the stock 2006 part) will fail eventually and could destroy your transmission. It's a well know and well documented issue. There is a small bearing on the shift stopper that explodes sending small bearing-balls through your transmission. The new part has a solid roller and cost less than $40 with a gasket and a quart of oil.

Porting and a pipe isn't really a big necessity on that YZ125 unless you need more peak power and over-rev.

A VF3 reed is worth much more gain than a pipe right where you'll use it. The extra compression of a modded head is well worth it too. Jetting on those is pretty good stock, but if you change any engine parts, you may want to adjust some things slightly. Adding a little race fuel to your mix makes any two-stroke run well (if you jet it correctly). I like to mix leaded race gas 50/50 with ethanol free 92 octane unleaded.

As for visual pep, those YZ's look great in white. You can use a seat-cover for a 2005 - 2008 CRF 450R on these bikes. That will give you the option for a white seat cover. I ran one on my 2008 YZ125 when I had it. This one is a FLU cover for a 2008 CRF450R. Keep in mind that the white gets dirt-stained pretty fast, went with red/black on the next bike:

bronwynrayne
6/16/2016 8:31am
cwtoyota wrote:
On that 2006 model, you NEED to replace the shift stopper with a 2008 or later part. Yours (if it's still the stock 2006 part) will...
On that 2006 model, you NEED to replace the shift stopper with a 2008 or later part. Yours (if it's still the stock 2006 part) will fail eventually and could destroy your transmission. It's a well know and well documented issue. There is a small bearing on the shift stopper that explodes sending small bearing-balls through your transmission. The new part has a solid roller and cost less than $40 with a gasket and a quart of oil.

Porting and a pipe isn't really a big necessity on that YZ125 unless you need more peak power and over-rev.

A VF3 reed is worth much more gain than a pipe right where you'll use it. The extra compression of a modded head is well worth it too. Jetting on those is pretty good stock, but if you change any engine parts, you may want to adjust some things slightly. Adding a little race fuel to your mix makes any two-stroke run well (if you jet it correctly). I like to mix leaded race gas 50/50 with ethanol free 92 octane unleaded.

As for visual pep, those YZ's look great in white. You can use a seat-cover for a 2005 - 2008 CRF 450R on these bikes. That will give you the option for a white seat cover. I ran one on my 2008 YZ125 when I had it. This one is a FLU cover for a 2008 CRF450R. Keep in mind that the white gets dirt-stained pretty fast, went with red/black on the next bike:

Oh man I had no idea about the shift stopper. It definitely still has the stock one in it, as the entire bike is still stock. I haven't done any work to it yet other than changing the oil. You are positive that the one off the 2008 will fit? I will order one up today if so.

I have no plans to change anything to do with the engine any time soon. I am not a good enough rider to be concerned with that stuff yet, I feel like if I can get more than three months of riding in in the year I might look into some alterations, but at this time I just want to make it my own.

That seat cover looks so fresh, I love it, but just like with white boots, I figure the same as you- that they will get stained and dirty pretty quickly. I ended up ordering a black one with orange ribbing as the graphics have orange in them and I figure if it isn't a perfect match it will be removed enough to still compliment.

That's one sexy ass bike man!
bronwynrayne
6/16/2016 8:33am
MB109 wrote:
When I got my YZ125, the first thing I did was the plastics update. I got the RaceTech kit on ebay for $215 shipped I think...
When I got my YZ125, the first thing I did was the plastics update. I got the RaceTech kit on ebay for $215 shipped I think? Came within a week and the install was pretty easy.

You can always add..
-clutch/ignition covers
-levers/hand guards
-brake pedal/shift lever
-seat cover
-random bling parts like oil cap/master cylinder covers/etc
I got plastics already, but your little list was exactly what I was looking for. It's gonna be Christmas in July! Evil
bronwynrayne
6/16/2016 8:35am
EZZA 95B wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/06/16/139497/s1200_BWB.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/06/16/139498/s1200_BWG.jpg[/img]

Woohoo Thanks Ezza!

I still super prefer the black. I think gold looks dated, whether it be motorcycle rims or jewelry. Plus with the color scheme I have going on, not so sure that orange and gold would look nice stacked up against eachother...
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
6/16/2016 8:50am
I had an '05 that I rebuilt, had the old shift stopper. Definitely replace it, not a terrible job but the spring can be a little difficult to get back on so if you can get someone to give a hand that helps. I stripped my stock pipe and "blued" the welds, thought it looked good for the cost of just my time. Put a black seat cover on it and the r-tech plastic upgrade. Tusk impact wheels w/blue hubs for $500. Decal Works graphics and a lot of elbow grease....your starting point looks much nicer than mine...

bronwynrayne
6/16/2016 9:18am
yak651 wrote:
I had an '05 that I rebuilt, had the old shift stopper. Definitely replace it, not a terrible job but the spring can be a little...
I had an '05 that I rebuilt, had the old shift stopper. Definitely replace it, not a terrible job but the spring can be a little difficult to get back on so if you can get someone to give a hand that helps. I stripped my stock pipe and "blued" the welds, thought it looked good for the cost of just my time. Put a black seat cover on it and the r-tech plastic upgrade. Tusk impact wheels w/blue hubs for $500. Decal Works graphics and a lot of elbow grease....your starting point looks much nicer than mine...

What a beautiful build. How did you strip the stock pipe?

One of the things I hate about this bike is the grey plastic cover for the crank case and the stock rear disc and caliper guards, I think they look incredibly cheap, so I think that will be my next purchase ($$$$$$) though all I can seem to find them in is carbon fiber and I'm not the biggest fan of that either.

Did you get the tusk rims/hubs on sale?
MB109
6/16/2016 9:49am

Here's mine after a couple upgrades, it was in pretty dodgy shape when I first got it. The KYB decals on the fork definitely spruce it up a bit. I got my Tusk wheels off a buddy brand new for a steal, about 10 hours on them now and no complaints..not even a loose spoke and I do a fair amount of casing haha.

Check on eBay for Boyesen ignition/clutch cover sets, I sometimes see the pairs new for $150.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
6/16/2016 9:50am
I used a wire brush on a drill and then for the hard to reach areas just used sandpaper/steel wool.
I had Rocky Mountain discount code so think they were $550 but the discount brought them to $500 plus free shipping.
Here's a thread I started on my process, didn't follow thru with it very good after a while...
http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Race-Shop,42/Another-YZ-Rebuild,1294526
bronwynrayne
6/16/2016 10:08am
MB109 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/06/16/139540/s1200_image.jpg[/img] Here's mine after a couple upgrades, it was in pretty dodgy shape when I first got it. The KYB decals on the fork definitely spruce...

Here's mine after a couple upgrades, it was in pretty dodgy shape when I first got it. The KYB decals on the fork definitely spruce it up a bit. I got my Tusk wheels off a buddy brand new for a steal, about 10 hours on them now and no complaints..not even a loose spoke and I do a fair amount of casing haha.

Check on eBay for Boyesen ignition/clutch cover sets, I sometimes see the pairs new for $150.
Beauty. I agree with you on the KYB decals, I ordered some yesterday for my bike. It's actually kind of funny... when I bought the bike they said it was a 2005 but when posted some photos on here guys were telling me it was a 2006- ran the VIN and they were correct! Much better suspension than the 05 so I was a happy camper. 10-4 on the casing Wink

Seems to be what the pair run for most of the time anyways. Dirtbikes ARE the budget.
jhansen510
Fantasy
3600th
6/16/2016 10:30am
You can't like dirt bikes and not like carbon fiber!
brocsdad
6/16/2016 1:57pm
HGS Racing is the best pipe for the YZ 125 hands down!
cwtoyota
6/16/2016 9:23pm
Oh man I had no idea about the shift stopper. It definitely still has the stock one in it, as the entire bike is still stock...
Oh man I had no idea about the shift stopper. It definitely still has the stock one in it, as the entire bike is still stock. I haven't done any work to it yet other than changing the oil. You are positive that the one off the 2008 will fit? I will order one up today if so.

I have no plans to change anything to do with the engine any time soon. I am not a good enough rider to be concerned with that stuff yet, I feel like if I can get more than three months of riding in in the year I might look into some alterations, but at this time I just want to make it my own.

That seat cover looks so fresh, I love it, but just like with white boots, I figure the same as you- that they will get stained and dirty pretty quickly. I ended up ordering a black one with orange ribbing as the graphics have orange in them and I figure if it isn't a perfect match it will be removed enough to still compliment.

That's one sexy ass bike man!
Hey thanks, that was one of my favorite bikes I've owned. I sold that '08 YZ125 to a friend. She loves that little bike and will probably keep it for a very long time. The white plastic is on my '02 YZ250 these days.

Any year shift stopper from 2008 - 2016 will fit. In fact, Yamaha superceded the old part with the new part number in the 2005 & 2006 models. Motosport lists them for under $15 each. You have to remove the large clutch cover, so you'll need that big gasket and the power-valve linkage cover gasket too. You don't have to remove the water pump cover, but if you do, you'll need a water pump gasket too.

For the stopper, just order item number 5 from this 2015 parts diagram (or get the same thing from any OEM source):
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-parts/yamaha/2015/yz125/shift-cam-fork
bronwynrayne
6/16/2016 10:55pm
cwtoyota wrote:
Hey thanks, that was one of my favorite bikes I've owned. I sold that '08 YZ125 to a friend. She loves that little bike and will...
Hey thanks, that was one of my favorite bikes I've owned. I sold that '08 YZ125 to a friend. She loves that little bike and will probably keep it for a very long time. The white plastic is on my '02 YZ250 these days.

Any year shift stopper from 2008 - 2016 will fit. In fact, Yamaha superceded the old part with the new part number in the 2005 & 2006 models. Motosport lists them for under $15 each. You have to remove the large clutch cover, so you'll need that big gasket and the power-valve linkage cover gasket too. You don't have to remove the water pump cover, but if you do, you'll need a water pump gasket too.

For the stopper, just order item number 5 from this 2015 parts diagram (or get the same thing from any OEM source):
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-parts/yamaha/2015/yz125/shift-cam-fork
I'm sure she does! They are wicked bikes.

Wow thank you so much for linking me on that. I will order that up asap so I can remedy the issue before it breaks my bank with a tranny rebuild. You're the bomb.com!!
kijen
6/17/2016 4:04am
you may want to check, the YZ four strokes use black plastic for the rear caliper and disc protection. not sure if they fit on the 06. worth a shot...
6/17/2016 8:56am
kijen wrote:
you may want to check, the YZ four strokes use black plastic for the rear caliper and disc protection. not sure if they fit on the...
you may want to check, the YZ four strokes use black plastic for the rear caliper and disc protection. not sure if they fit on the 06. worth a shot...
Tusk hubs are available in white.

Your graphics look to be for a 2005 model (front fender and number plate were different).

I am pretty sure those parts will fit, as I ran those from a 2010 YZ250F on my 2012 YZ125 last year.
bronwynrayne
6/17/2016 12:00pm
kijen wrote:
you may want to check, the YZ four strokes use black plastic for the rear caliper and disc protection. not sure if they fit on the...
Dang, really? Thank you, I will check into that... even if they don't fit perfectly I might be able to alter them to fit.
bronwynrayne
6/17/2016 12:01pm
kijen wrote:
Sheriff245 wrote:
Tusk hubs are available in white. Your graphics look to be for a 2005 model (front fender and number plate were different). I am pretty sure...
Tusk hubs are available in white.

Your graphics look to be for a 2005 model (front fender and number plate were different).

I am pretty sure those parts will fit, as I ran those from a 2010 YZ250F on my 2012 YZ125 last year.
Are you referring to my bike or to kijen's? I got the 2006 plastics and graphics so they should fit properly.
jeffro503
6/18/2016 7:57am
Sweet looking bike there sister! I think it'll look great after you get all those graphics on there and a set a wheels. Won't be long now....Braaapp!
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1151st
6/19/2016 9:12pm
Just a quick and rough chop to help you visualise... Try to ignore the lack of quality (I've got a PC pipe with FMF sticker for piss-sakes)Laughing

Post a reply to: 2006 YZ 125 Revamp

The Latest