2006 RM250 Shock questions

mvan86
11/18/2013 12:13pm Edited Date/Time 11/19/2013 5:36pm
I have a 2006 RM 250 that I have owned since new. I have done all the work on the bike myself, and have always enjoyed learning how to do new tasks while working on my bike. Unfortunately, the rear shock is in need of some work. I am pretty sure that it has a seal blown somewhere, although I cannot see any oil leaks, the shock bottoms out way too easily, and rides like a wagon! My question is, while I have the rear end apart (linkage and swingarm bearings) how hard of a task is it to rebuild the shock, and how hard would it be to revalve it as well? I have scoured ebay for a rebuild kit with no luck on finding one, the only parts I can find are oem on Motosport. Would it be more cost effective to send the parts to Race Tech, Factory Connection etc. or to do the rebuild myself? Thanks in Advance!
|
Paw Paw 271
11/18/2013 1:42pm
If you have never done one before I would suggest sending it off to be done. You can just have it serviced or revalved. Just servicing will give you very good results and not all that expensive. Just for servicing I use Merge Racing in Oklahoma. They offer a very good price and quick turn around for shock service.

Paw Paw
LocDawg
11/18/2013 5:55pm
send it to a shop dude, and do the forks as well
edgo897
11/18/2013 7:25pm
I did my '05 no problem. I just followed the directions in the owners reference manual. I had a friend charge it with nitrogen. It's a fairly easy deal. I did the forks too following the same book.
mvan86
11/18/2013 9:34pm
I have been trying to add up the cost of parts/specialty tools this evening, and I believe that I can do both and save a few dollars, just how much I don't know. I love the ride of the stockers in the woods, but I am looking into dabbling into some MX next year. What all would I have to change to suit my weight (190 lbs.) on the track? I'm sure the springs, but what about the internals? Are the tools that I would have to buy interchangeable with KYB parts? If I can figure out how to do a shock job on this bike, then I can do another bike in the future if I buy one. I have considered buying a new 450, but I still love my 2 strokes! 06 RM 250 and 2 CR 500's an 89 and 01!

The Shop

mvan86
11/18/2013 9:36pm
edgo897 wrote:
I did my '05 no problem. I just followed the directions in the owners reference manual. I had a friend charge it with nitrogen. It's a...
I did my '05 no problem. I just followed the directions in the owners reference manual. I had a friend charge it with nitrogen. It's a fairly easy deal. I did the forks too following the same book.
I have used my manual many, many times over the course of the past 8 years! I keep mine handy at all times, lol
TX24
11/19/2013 8:14am
I would send it to someone as mentioned.
If you are just going to change the oil and put in a fresh charge, that is one thing.

If you are going to put in a new oil seal or replace the seal head, you need to know what your doing.
If you are not careful taking the nut off the shaft, you can easily ruin it.
JM485
11/19/2013 8:39am
mvan86 wrote:
I have been trying to add up the cost of parts/specialty tools this evening, and I believe that I can do both and save a few...
I have been trying to add up the cost of parts/specialty tools this evening, and I believe that I can do both and save a few dollars, just how much I don't know. I love the ride of the stockers in the woods, but I am looking into dabbling into some MX next year. What all would I have to change to suit my weight (190 lbs.) on the track? I'm sure the springs, but what about the internals? Are the tools that I would have to buy interchangeable with KYB parts? If I can figure out how to do a shock job on this bike, then I can do another bike in the future if I buy one. I have considered buying a new 450, but I still love my 2 strokes! 06 RM 250 and 2 CR 500's an 89 and 01!
Damn, our garage must look pretty similar! I have an 06 RC edition and an 01 CR500. You might check around for local guys to do your revalve and service. I had someone who lived near me do mine and it was only $350 for the revalve and service front and rear. That did not include a spring change though since the stock springs were alright for me. I had previously done my forks myself, but was afraid to jump into doing the shock. Also, while they are in there, have them check the seals on the inner dampening rod in the forks. I have seen a few cases, including mine, where they begin leaking over time and it can damage the fork.
mvan86
11/19/2013 12:40pm
They must look a lot alike, lol I just recently bought the 01 but I have had the 89 longer than I have my RM. I have strongly considered buying a new 450, but every time, I just tell myself I don't need it, I have enough power in the garage! My 06 is the stock version, are there any differences between the RC edition other than cosmetics?

Who would be the best shop to send my shock and forks to? I know Pro Circuit, Race Tech, etc. but I hate to have to give a small fortune just to redo my shock and forks. That is kind of the reason I do my own work anyway, lol $350 I would definitely pull the trigger on, but I just hate to give a grand when I could possibly do it myself!
JM485
11/19/2013 5:36pm
I think cosmetics are the only real difference, I just like to think it's faster!Laughing For the fork and shock, ask around for some local guys who could do it rather than sending it off. Not that any of the big companies are a bad idea, it's just a lot cheaper to do things locally.

Post a reply to: 2006 RM250 Shock questions

The Latest